• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lagging playback on M1 Mac Studio

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping someone can help or offer acknowledgement that this is a problem being addressed.  I bought a brand new maxed out Mac Studio running OS 12.6 and have been having issues with Premiere from the start. When there is a yellow, red or green render line on my timeline I get incosistant playback lag. It tends to get worse over time and it is not consistent where on the timeline the lag happens. Playback skips a few frames usually around cut points. Sometimes I can play an edit without issue and other times it is unwatchable. I am working with 1920x1080 Pro Res footage. I have tried multiple Pro Res versions from proxy to LT to standard all resulting in the same issue.  This is consistant across projects whether a team project or a local project.  This is consistant in all versions of premiere, I have tried fresh installs of 2021 and all versions of 2022 and the beta version. I have tried moving the footage to the internal drive but mostly working off an SSD plugged in locally. I have also tried turning off the hardware acceleration options in settings. One thing that was almost working was using the intel version of premiere and turning off Metal but it really slowed down performance and when I had to work on a project using more effects I couldn't play back at all and premiere would constantly crash.  If no renders are required on the timeline then the playback seems to be ok. Working off of my older intel laptop works fine. I have scoured every forum and tried what I believe to be every solution I can think of without any success.  If someone has the answer please share because I would really love to use this brand new machine for more than an outragiously priced paper weight.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same exact issue as you. Extreme lag in timeline with any Pro Res footage.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128GB of ram.

Keeping an eye on this to see if anyone else chimes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here... Butter smooth playback on my macbook 14 inch m1 max. Mac studio ultra stutters and crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be obvious to most, so take no offense. I noticed at least one user is feeding Premiere from an SSD "plugged in locally." I don't know what that means, but if it's not powered from a wall or UPS outlet, it's called a "bus-powered drive" and it's potentially disastrous to use it for actual editing, rendering or export,  because the bus, (the cable and port) is shared between powering the drive and transferring data. Playback may skip or look choppy, or may freeze, while audio (generally lower bandwidth) comes through fine. I even saw an entire whole timeline disappear!  Bus powered drives, spinners or blades, fast though they may be, do not repond well to high loads, such as large format playback, effects playback, rendering, rtc.  even when PPro resolution is cut to a fraction of full bandwidth. These drives are best suited for high-speed copying and archive, not high-demand editing.

USE A RAID for editing, especially for 4K and up, on any machine.  Even RAID 0 (no backup if one of the internal drives fails) is more reliable than a bus powered drive. Ideally, your raid supports 0+1 format, also known as RAID 10-- all your data is backed up to a second set of drives- it's mirrored, for quick restoration if a drive fails. RAID 5 uses the most of your available drives, saving 1 as a parity drive-- it can restore a failed drive but it's way slower than copying from a mirror, especially when working from affordable spinning hard drives. You decide.

Before complaining about performance in high bandwidth video, check your pipeline for bus-powered drives!!

And keep your media off your system drive! You need an external drive for high-bandwidth media. You don't need that competing with system and app resources which need to be on call throughout an edit session.

Best, as always,

Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use bus powered SSDs for large multicamera projects on my MB 2016 and have never had an issue. Regularly pulling 16 prores proxy streams with no playback lag. I really don't think this is an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, me too.  Primarily use bus powered drives...  but with complex multicamera material, I almost always use a proxy workflow...    for Intel platforms, changing the renderer to software in project settings: general often helps performance particularly on marginal machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I have similar issues. I'm trying to migrate projects from my 2016 MBP and having to go back becasue Prem 22 AND 23 are so laggy that it can take pictures 10-15 secs or even more to catch up with timeline. Audio is fine. all footage pro res proxy in 16 camera multicams. Any news on this Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth installing AJA System Test Lite ( or similar) and running a speed test on your drives and see what level of read/write speeds you are getting. Also check where the preview files are writing to as that will also be affecting performance. We are on the Mac Studios and they do work well up with heavy Quicktime media. With the latest 23.0.0 the encoding and speed loading multiple sequences from Premiere to Media Encoder is also sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not a drive speed issue. I use these ssds all the time and have no issues. Its also not stuttery. It just takes forever to load a new frame into the sequence window when I clock around the timeline. My guess is it's something GPU related. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the drives are not the problem.  Same drives on my 2019 MacBook Pro with the same footage have no issues with playback.  It is not an error with drive speed nor the speed of the system. There must be something wrong with either the programing in Premiere or compatibility with the new M1 Studio.  I am sure something is going on because no one from Adobe will respond to me and they keep launching new versions which keep genereating new bugs.  I have reverted back to my intel laptop and am on 22.4.0 without issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how have you contacted Adobe?  You can't depend on getting answers from posts on this forum although we do see some adobe employee's helping people here...  

Here's how to report a bug

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/ct-p/ct-premiere-pro?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ar you using Rosetta 2 or the native version of Pr Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure it's the native version as I haven't installed Rosetta and have same issues on 23.0. How can I check to be sure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found this with a quick google search

https://www.macworld.com/article/338843/how-to-force-a-native-m1-mac-app-to-run-as-an-intel-app-inst...

May be different for a newer mac chip, but google is your friend...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem of lagging and slugshy playback, even clicking in the timeline was slow...
What make thinks LESS PAINFULL was RESETTING THE WORKSPACE. click in Window/Workspace/Reset to Save Layout. It seems to make things better. Definately worth a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this problem and I FIXED IT!! So happy. Might not work for you but here we go. When you have multiple monitors, I have three, make sure you have the "displays have seperate spaces" box checked in mission control settings.

The first thing I do when I get a new mac or do a fresh install is untick it since I hate this function. However unticking it seems to turn your monitors into one super canvas. Premiere does not like this. This checkbox never caused an issue on my old intel mac, however on apple silicon it does. 

I figured it out because I was dragging premiere around while it was playing and noticed all went smooth while dragging the interface around. 

I really hope this helps others and is not specific to my setup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines