• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large Video and Audio synced sequence - how do I grab individual clips with synced audio?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this is a basic editing question I realize and probably really easy, but I can’t find the exact keywords to find it.

Say I have a 10 minute 4k video clip (mp4) and its associated 10 minute audio clip from the lavalier mic. I have the two of them synced up perfectly from start to finish in a sequence using Adobe Premiere Pro. That’s the easy part.

Now, say I don’t want to use the full 10 minute clip and only want say 30 smaller clips from the full 10 minute clip.  Obviously, I don’t want to sync up 30 individual clips. I just want to mark the in and out points of each smaller clip from the sync-ed up larger clip and drag them to my timeline.   I can easily do it from the original audio or video source, but how do I do it most efficiently from the sync-ed up sequence?

–I tried using a “subclip”, but either i don’t know how to do it right, or I am seriously misunderstanding what a subclip is

-I tried exporting the full 10 minute sequence to a "“High Quality 2160p 4k” format and pulling the clips from that. It worked (and i went with it last time out of desperation) but there was definitely a noticeable loss of video quality

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be very easy. The Multicam process is the best one for joining video with separate audio, do NOT use 'merge clips'. It has numerous limitations, and don't get hung up on the 'multi' part. It's a name. For a process of joining video/audio and keeping all metadata for both for proper work down the road.

You can select all in a bin that say has ten video clips, each with a separately recorded audio track in there also. Right-click/Create Multicam.

It will make for you 10 different mult-cam 'clips'. Sequences, sort of. But we use them just like clips.

Bring one up in the Source monitor, mark in/out, hit insert or overwrite. Mark next in/out, insert/overwrite ... move on down the line.

Or of course do a pancake edit, two stacked timeline, the multi up top, the new sequence below. Grab bits from above & drop on the lower timeline panel.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.  I tested it out, but I dont think its doing what I want it to do...  Maybe I didn't explain properly what I was looking for?

Ok Clip1 is a 10 minute video direct from the camera with both video (which is good) and an audio channel (which is ok, but not good enough - I am only using this audio as a guide to sync the good audio)
Clip 2 is a 12 minute audio wav file from my separate recording device (a lavalier mic)

I sync-ed up Clip1 and Clip2 perfectly and muted Clip1's audio.

Now i want to slice up the newly sync-ed sequence into 30 smaller clips.

When I used the multi-cam, it just created a processed file with the bad audio from clip1.   If I add Clip2 into the mix, i'm in the same boat as I was before creating a multicam source..

What am i missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny, you said to not "merge" the two clips, but as a test I did, and it is exactly what i wanted...  A separate clip that has the video from clip1 and the good audio from clip2..  And I can read it in as it's own clip and can slice it up as if it were the original source...

What is the downside of doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't use a number of typical editing shortcuts like Q/W the top & tail cuts, and you can't use it in any XML/EDL/OMF workflows.

From your comments you didn't set the Multicam options correctly. It would normally put both on the sequence or you can set it to take the separate audio. The options are not always named as obvious as users might like.

Often with a single camera and single separate audio, it actually puts the separate audio on the top audio track and the camera audio below it on another track.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm, I'm seeing the shortcut issues...  I cant use "i" and "o" either... What a weird quirk...

OK, its a little late to go deeper with the multicam learning.  I'll play around with it some more tomorrow, but at least I now have an easy backup way to do it... Even without shortcuts...

Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines