• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest PR updates are unstable and should be reverted (so says Adobe Support)

Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After loosing about 2 days of work because of PR being really slow (I tried all the different proxy settings, cleared cache multiple times, rebooting, etc), I finally called Adobe support.  After an hour on the phone, the tech told me that the latest versions of PR are unstable and he reverted me back to version 22.2.0.  Now, everything is back to normal.

I have the latest top spec intel macbook and use no plugins (specs below). I debated whether to post this or not, but as someone who would want to know about something like this from someone else, I decided to post.  I can't tell you how annoyed I am with Adobe over this. I've got critical work I need to get done and this is the last thing I needed this week.

To be extra clear, if someone from Adobe wants to check me on this, here is the support issue (now closed). Adobe Case ADB-24273928. The tech told me I would get an email when it is safe to update again.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,4

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 64 GB

System Firmware Version: 1731.100.130.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.14243.0.0,0)

OS Loader Version: 540.100.7~23

Serial Number (system): xxx

Hardware UUID: 59D627F4-6B86-5721-9849-2996FC84236B

Provisioning UDID: 59D627F4-6B86-5721-9849-2996FC84236B

Activation Lock Status: Disabled

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you using version 22.3.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was the one that had the new export dialog.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the new builds do, so that wasn't actually that helpful an answer.

Performance is a weird thing ... I see the wide variety of performance here and elsewhere on M1 Macs alone. Some units scream through Premiere, some don't. A few simply crash on open.

My 24-core 3960X Ryzen, 128GB of RAM and a 2080Ti, is getting the best performance I've ever had in Premiere. Smooth as silk with up to 8k Red. And some Sony S-log3-cine media. My BRAW is smooth as all get out.

And my 3-year old Acer Triton laptop is doing the best it's ever done with Premiere.

But I've seen other users with similar rigs with problems. And I'm seeing the same thing in the Resolve forums, as yes, I work in that app also.

So I'll be interested if someone like @Kevin-Monahan or someone can get an idea on this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One reason I use a MacBook is that the configuration is super standard and I don't have any funky drivers installed. I would hope Adobe tests the really standard MacBook configs to make sure those are reliable.  Clearly not though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter,

There are a ton of users including probably a good share of the engineering staff that have those. And from the comments on this forum, "performance" has been all over the place.

The devs are (natually, it seems) far more Mac-based in their personal work than PCs. And all the devs I've ever talked with do editing as a hobby/passion, so they use the app daily for their own stuff. Macbooks are pretty much their go-to devices.

From that, I don't think your assumption holds up.

What it seems from participating both here and on the BlackMagic/Resolve forums ... is we users are getting really, truly bizarrely different performance at times on similar rigs. And that is about as frustrating as it gets.

Another guy posted about the troubles he's having on his 18 core Ryzen/64GB of RAM rig with a 3090. I've got a 24 core Ryzen/128GB of RAM with a 2080Ti. You'd think overall fairly similar rigs, right? His performance is crap. Premiere and Resolve both scream on mine.

I mean really, what the ... ?

A couple years ago, troubleshooting for performance was a lot easier than it is now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines