• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legacy Issue: What version of Premiere Pro interfaced with Panasonic AJ-D230H?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community!

Even though "my time has passed" as far as trying to keep up with the latest and greatest software and devices, I do have several (hundreds) of hours of Legacy Format videos that I've been transferring (ingesting/encoding/posting) for myself and for former clients. I've had success converting BetaSP, DVCam, Mini-DV, Hi8, SVHS, and even VHS. My troubles remain, though, with UMaticSP (3/4 inch) that is a machine issue, and with DVC Pro.

The Panasonic AJ-D230H is working perfectly fine, however, it has been several years since I've used any computer software interface. At the time I was working with DVC Pro, I was using two WinXP's, one with Premiere Pro 1.5 and the other with the CS3 version of Premiere. I also was also, occasionally, using a Mac G4 with Final Cut Pro (please, no booing or tossing rotten tomatoes here!).

My dilema is, I can't figure out which machine I was using at that time. Certainly I understand that I should just fire up the machines and figure it out myself! Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

So my question to some of the age-challenged users is, "Did Premiere Pro ever interface with Panasonic's AJ-D230H?" If so, "Which version?"

In advance, thanks for reading this and for taking the time to respond.

Blessings!

Gustavo Miranda

TOPICS
Formats , Hardware or GPU , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Hi Andy,

It's been a few weeks (well, months!) but I do have some partial results to report.

After our last exchange and as you suggested, I purchased a $30 dollar FireWire Card. After many, many tests, settings changes, etc., it just would not work...very frustrating!

So I did a lot of further research and found an article written by David Knarr of Studio 1 Productions. Here is the link: https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm  In that article he refers to having had several

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I may be close to answering my own question!

As I open up the old XP that is having a power issue (the one that had Premiere Pro 1.5), I've now noticed that I have a "Matrox RTX 100" card inside. Perhaps it was Matrox software that made the DVC Pro accessable.

I'm going to peruse their site next...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the DVC Pro have Firewire?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as this specific deck, I checked it out: IEEE 1394 Interface - Optional. Judging from most of the decks on eBay, it's an S-Video deck. Most do not carry the FireWire option. This is not a HD capable deck, it's a 480i deck. It can play miniDV with an adapter. 

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin!

Yes, I was fortunate enough to have purchased the unit with the IEEE 1394 Interface. Also yes, it is not HD nor HDV.

Notwithstanding, I have several hours of client's footage and "Master Copy" tapes of productions that I was involved in during that time. My objective for the last year and a half has been the successful transfer of those projects dating all the way back to 1978. As a last resort, I could playback via the analog video connections and "re-record" the content directly into the computer, but that would certainly introduce a suttle layer of degradation that I was hoping to avoid.

Thanks again for the input. Blessings!

Gustavo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andy!

Yes it does!

My big problem is getting it to talk to my computer. Windows 10 systems won't work, and unfortunately my older XP's and Apple G4's are having some issues. To top that off, Adobe is not at all interested in supporting old Premiere Pro versions, such as 1.5 and CS3.

I'm almost embarrassed to mention this, but the last time I called them (about a year and a half ago) the fellow had a terribly condescending attitude. All he would say is, "you need to update your equipment and software." No kidding! He didn't pay any attention to what I had said about analog and legacy formatted content, nor that I wanted to recover the use of software that I had paid thousands of dollars for over the course of my career. OK, maybe I should stop venting...

Nonetheless, I am determined to find a way!

Thanks!

Gustavo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Premiere Pro works with Firewire on my system. It should work on yours as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy!

After reading your response, I am truly very interested in knowing, specifically, how you are able to make Premiere Pro work with Firewire, what your set up is, etc.

In a nutshell, here is my situation:

2 - XP machines; one with CS3 and generic 6-pin Firewire ports, and one with Premiere Pro 1.0 & 1.5 and a Matrox RTX 100 card for analog (BetaSP/3/4 UMaticSP/Hi8/SVHS/etc.) to NTSC DV conversion. Both machines are compatible with Mini-DV and Sony's DV Cam formats.

3 - Win10 machines; two have generic 6-pin Firewire ports (both are older i7's), but I was unable to install CS3 on either one thanks to Adobe's bone-headed decision to stop activations (oh, did I actually write that out?!?!?!), and one that is actually quite new, a "fully loaded" ninth generation i9/32gb RAM/1tb SSD system drive/16tb internal storage and "Rich Corinthian Leather seats" (where's Ricardo Montalban when you need him?) that is decked out to do real-time 4k with the latest version CC. NOTE: I am holding off of subscribing until my in-home studio is fully ready, about 90 days from now.

With the exception of the newest machine (that doesn't have a Firewire card installed), I've tried to make three out of the four units mentioned above talk to the Panasonic AJ-D230H (DVC Pro) machine without success. One of the XP's has run into a power source or motherboard issue that should be resolved in about 30 days. Unless something else happens, that unit is (in the words of one brave soul) "my only hope".

So if you've had success, specifically with the DVC Pro format via Firewire into your system, please, please let me know how you did that!

Thanks again to you Andy, as well as to all those who continue to take the time to read these posts and to share their learned wisdom and years of expertise with the community!

Blessings!!!

Gustavo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get a Firewire card and pay for Premiere Pro. See if Windows 10 sees The Panasonic AJ-D230H as a video device. If so Premiere Pro should see it. If that does not work The Panasonic AJ-D230H probably has a TBC built in. You could use an Intensity Shuttle to capture the tapes. Try switching a few buttons on the The Panasonic AJ-D230H. That being said the video below might help a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Andy,

It's been a few weeks (well, months!) but I do have some partial results to report.

After our last exchange and as you suggested, I purchased a $30 dollar FireWire Card. After many, many tests, settings changes, etc., it just would not work...very frustrating!

So I did a lot of further research and found an article written by David Knarr of Studio 1 Productions. Here is the link: https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm  In that article he refers to having had several problems with various FW cards when they were manufactured with the Texas Instruments chipset. So when I checked, the $30 card that I had purchased had (fanfare) the TI chipset! I went back to Amazon and found a $10 FW card with the VIA chipset.

Once installed, I could connect all of the other FW all of my DV devices except, the DVCPro device... (I felt like dropping to my knees and yelling out "Kahn!!" at the top of my lungs!). So at this point, I will just have to acquire the best capture device that I can (Blackmagic no longer sells the Intensity Suttle) and capture the footage via analog connections.

My apollogies for not getting back sooner...life happens! I hope my situation and our exchange of information will help you and others that may find themselves in a similar boat at some time.

Many, many thanks Andy!!!

Gustavo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines