Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legacy title upgrade issues

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe community,

We have been using Premiere Pro Legacy titles in a bit of an unorthodox way, we didn't realise they were going to be removed or we wouldn't have done it but c'est La vie.

We use one title over and over again, renaming it each time, as a way to label sections of footage. E.g: We select out all the shots of houses so we drag a legacy title over that section and name the title "Houses", we select out all the shots of cars and using the same title we rename it "Cars". You're able to do this without using a new title each time and we found it a quick and simple labeling system.

When we click Yes to the Essential Graphics upgrade it just keeps one name of the title and updates that everywhere. E.g so instead of "Houses", "Cars", "People" etc we have three titles saying "Houses".

So if you're following what I'm saying you can see how this will be a massive problem for us - we're in the middle of a huge project, we have hundreds of these labels and we're looking at potentially losing all our labeling or having to manually change each one to an adjustment layer or something like that.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Adjustment layers don't have the same issue, is there a way to turn the legacy title labels into adjustment layers? If there are any ways around redoing all our labels that would be amazing!

Thanks,

L-J

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I understood what you were saying, but now I'm not so sure.

How specifically do you "rename" a title? And change the text in the title? How many legacy titles do you have in the Project Panel; only one?

I created a legacy title. If I rename/edit it, it is still one legacy title, and it changes each use of that title to the new text. If I upgrade it, all the titles are upgraded and they (still) have the same (edited) text.

If I duplicate the original title in the Project Panel or Alt-drag it in the timeline (creates a separate title), it is a new title and when I edit it, it has different text than the original title.

When I upgrade these legacy titles, they all still exist and there is a new "upgraded version." Nothing is lost.

Am I missing something?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Thanks for replying so quickly, I'll try to explain further and I have attached screenshots to try to illustrate what I mean.

We aren't using the Legacy Titles as titles - we don't even add text in the text window - all we do is create a new legacy title then rename it in the bin (screenshot).

Then we drag that title onto the timeline across the section of footage we want to label and cut it and rename it over and over again (the same title can be renamed without it updating across all uses of the title).

So we have one title being used multiple times as a label with different text each time (screenshot).

When we click to upgrade to Essential Graphics it sees this as one title (which in essence it is) so it doesn't keep all the different renamed text and just keeps one name of the title (screenshot).

So we are trying to find a way to stop all the labels turning into one title.

I hope that explains the problem better.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 4.01.07 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-05 at 4.39.10 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-05 at 4.43.54 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I get it now. I see only the brute force recreation of  your labels. Instead of adjustment layers, I would just use the new graphics text, put them on one layer that you can turn off. When such graphics texts overlap, be careful; you can create only a new layer in a graphics instance. What shows as the "name" in the timeline is the uppermost layer in the Essential Graphics Panel.

I wonder if someone has an extension/script out there already for labeling. PR itself can group (but I saw no option to name the group or display it) and its "labels" are Color coding. I wonder about some of the new metadata display options.

The information you want IS in the project file, so a programmer might write a script that would make master clips out of each subclip. I have no idea whether it is actually possible.

You are okay until version 23 appears. If you upgrade, be sure to keep 22 installed.

My description of what you are doing: You create one title. You split it up on the timeline. This creates a type of "subclip," but not the type that has its own reference in the Project Panel. You are able to rename such subclips in the timeline. And that is what you see that allows you to use it as a label.

But there is only one "master clip" - the original name of legacy title. And that is what the conversion deals with, renaming all the "subclips" with their individual names to the only name it sees in the master clip.

IF you could create a project item subclip from the individual instances on your timeline, it would work. But you can't. For a legacy title, "Make subclip" does not appear in the right click menu in the timeline and is greyed out in the Clip drop down menu.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your reply, yes that's what we were afraid of - that we'd need to recreate every title (an insane amount of work!) I jumped on here hoping for a miracle really!

So version 23 of Premiere will remove Legacy titles completely, when is that upgrade coming out do you know?

Thanks again,

L-J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ljsbradley,

I'm very sorry for the frustration. Upcoming software versions can be previewed by downloading Premiere Pro Beta from the Creative Cloud application. You can find Beta apps in the sidebar under the Apps category. The team provides no solid dates for software releases other than "it's coming soon." I apologize for that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines