Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Live Video Capture?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi --

Is it possible with Premiere Pro to do live video capture? I hav a Canon EOS RP connected via USB to my computer and the software from Canon can operate the camera / capture video but I can't figure out how to do this with Premiere Pro. 

Is this something that I could do with Premiere Rush? (I thought Rush was basically Premiere Elements, renamed.)

Rich

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021
nope, not via usb,You haven't given us a clue as to what kind of computer you're using or what version of premiere you've got installed.   Once we've got that info, we may be able to suggest some third party cards that might be able to make this work for you.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope, not via usb,You haven't given us a clue as to what kind of computer you're using or what version of premiere you've got installed.   Once we've got that info, we may be able to suggest some third party cards that might be able to make this work for you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey -

I am running the latest version of Premiere Pro 2020, 14.7.0 (Build 23) on a Windows 10 PC.

I actually found the open source project OBS Studio v26.1.1 which allows me to do what I want with my Canon EOS RP.

I'm surprised that Adobe does not have a product that offers this capability since this was the core functionality of the software suite Adobe got when they acquired Serious Magic back in 2006. I guess some of the product offers that were part of that company got mothballed?

Rich

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rich, 

Any solutions to this? I m also surprised you cannot do video capture via USB on Adobe Premiere Pro 2021.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two types of video input being discussed here:

• HDMI port on camera to HDMI input, connected through capture card to USB port or slot on computer
  • USB port on camera, connected directly to USB port on computer

They do not do the same thing. Live view through USB used to be only for tethered still shooting. With the rise in live streaming (e.g. OBS) and online meetings (Zoom), demand grew to repurpose DSLR-type cameras as webcams. When you plug most DSLR-type cameras in through USB, it is not using the type of signal that a professional capture application expects. It is using a webcam protocol.  The EOS RP appears to the computer as a USB-type webcam.

Another way to understand this is that if you connect the EOS RP through HDMI and a traditional computer interface like a capture card, it will not appear in Zoom, because Zoom is looking for a USB webcam. But it might show up in the Capture window in Premiere Pro.

Most pro editing software has not caught up with USB-based video capture. Premiere Pro, and as far as I can tell, its direct competitors as well, do not support direct live capture from cameras through USB webcam protocols. It is exactly the same reason you won’t be able to use Premiere Pro or its competitors to capture live video from a $70 Logitech C920 webcam. They don’t do USB webcam protocols. (I am not familiar with what Serious Magic used to offer, but I am guessing their products were not designed for today’s USB capture workflows.)

OBS was built for webcam streaming first, partly because it has a significant base of gamers. Their audience buys cheap USB webcams for streaming, or they have a nicer camera and plug it in through the USB port (webcam protocol). That is the opposite orientation from video editing applications like Premiere Pro, which expect to edit files that are already recorded. Or, if you use the Capture window in Premiere Pro, it is again not oriented toward webcams the same way OBS is. The Capture window system requirements tell you it’s set up for the equipment found in (older) professional video studios; it has not been updated for things like the USB webcams found on work-at-home desks in 2021.

Support for direct USB input in the Capture window is a legitimate feature request, though. But if you need to capture from USB soon, use OBS or any other software designed to capture from a source that uses a USB webcam protocol. On a Mac, the bundled free QuickTime Player will do it.

@RWMOREY71 wrote:

Is this something that I could do with Premiere Rush? (I thought Rush was basically Premiere Elements, renamed.)

Don’t know, Rush is more mass market but it is very oriented to phone-first capture or editing captured files, not direct webcam input as far as I can tell. But it’s worth checking.

Rush is not the same as Elements:

• Premiere Elements: Home/casual use, desktop only, local files only, traditional file editing.
  • Premiere Rush: Same app across desktop and mobile, written from the ground up so that the same project can be cloud-synced across desktop and mobile. This makes it possible to start a Rush project by recording and doing a rough cut on your phone, sync it up to cloud, then pick up the same project in Rush on desktop or iPad and work on it some more. Or open it in Premiere to apply its better tools. So Rush is more of a mobile-first cross-device workflow system.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe programs have never used USB for capture, only Firewire or a 3rd party hardware solution

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know it is an old thread but the asnwer to your question is yes. You cannot use the cheap USB to HDMI capture devices but Blackmagic Design used to sell the Intensity Shuttle  (Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0). You can buy them used. The video below should give you a basic idea of what to expect. Having said that AJA and Blackmagic Design have Thunderbolt devices that can do live capture fom a DSLR or mirrorless camera. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines