Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lock segments to timeline

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear,

Currently i'm editting a film with a lot of short scenes. It happened a few times and it freaks me out but i accidently deleted parts of a scene without seeing it.

I don't know how it happened but i discovered it much later in the process.

To avoid future accidents like this i want to lock scenes tot the timeline so i can't accidently delete them. But it seems to be only possible to lock a whole layer and not parts of (multiple) layers or groups of edited footage...

is that right? And how do u avoid accidently deleting portions of edited footgae?

thnx in advance..

Eelko

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can only lock a whole track.

There might be a way you can work whereby you could work on a higher track for the section that you are focusing on, then move it down to the locked track when complete?

Alternatively (and the best practice) regularly duplicate your sequences and work on a later number (e.g. work on v1.1, then duplicate and name the new sequence v1.2 and work on that) so that you always have an old sequence to come back to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, you can only lock tracks.

As you become more experienced this will happen less as you become better at managing your timeline. In the meantime, maybe you can use separate timelines for each of your scenes and then you can compile them together later. You could cut each scene into your main timeline as 'nested' sequences which means they are easier to spot if you accidentally deleted one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx guys!

There's not really a solution. Nesting could be a solution to move the scenes to a dedicated locked track, but premiere still doesn't nest the audio tracks. So u still have a multtrack hell...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

premiere still doesn't nest the audio tracks.

Depends on how you do it.

Dragging a sequence from a bin to another will nest everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

accidently deleting footage happens to the best.

Human after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as Sam notes, you should duplicating and incrementing your projects and/or sequences regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eelko,

It's a cool idea. Can you share it with the devs here? Premiere Pro: Hot (5621 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have there been any updates made on this front?  I'd like to be able to lock portions of my timeline, instead of a whole track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has been something I've been wishing for lately: locking all tracks for portions of the timeline. When I'm cracking open a nearly finished feature doc, I'd love the reassurance of being able to lock the entire timeline, aside for an area I need to tweak. Yes, careful methodical edits, versioning, locking tracks, proper qc - there are ways to avoid mishaps down the timeline. None-the-less this would be a really helpful feature for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines