Lumetri Autotone - how to use it

Participant ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I can't find a simple tutorial on how to apply the Auto button in Lumetri Color.

My issue is that the camera was left on automatic iris so the exposure keeps jumping up and down as the camera chooses different bits of the image to sense from (grrr). The clip is way too long to do this manually ... and there is an [Auto] button in Lumetri Color so I'm hoping that'll smooth things out. The problem is that, when I select the clip and click on the [Auto] button, nothing much happens. It stays empty, rather than filling with white or whatever and the exposure continues to change all the time.

Does anyone know of an online article or tutorial to guide me though this, please?

Or an automated way to deal with this problem?

Thank you.

Johnny

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

You are correct, that is a 'one-time' tool. It's not as you put it "dyanmic".

Exposure drifts over time are a huge PITA to fix, been there done that have the nightmares! As recording both wedding ceremonies plus community/professional events where the clouds come & go ... there isn't any perfect solution in shooting.

You always may need to 'fix in post'.

I think AfterEffects might have something that can do this. Resolve has two effects than can work with this, one uses a section of the fr

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've realised what's up - this is not a dynamic tool is it? It's a one-off control ... is that correct? ... I really want it to be dynamic ... 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are correct, that is a 'one-time' tool. It's not as you put it "dyanmic".

Exposure drifts over time are a huge PITA to fix, been there done that have the nightmares! As recording both wedding ceremonies plus community/professional events where the clouds come & go ... there isn't any perfect solution in shooting.

You always may need to 'fix in post'.

I think AfterEffects might have something that can do this. Resolve has two effects than can work with this, one uses a section of the frame as a 'reference', one uses the whole frame. I found for both a wedding & a community event that using the one with the reference area option worked best.

I then exported a file out of Resolve, and used that for my editing/finishing in Premiere. Yea, I work both in Resolve & Premiere, but much prefer Pr's UI.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines