Exit

Lumetri Color flashing on and off on various clips in sequence and in renders

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkYQ2g7qVM

So what's happening is the Lumetri color on this clip appears to be flashing on and off. I see it in my timeline and in the export. There are no other effects applied to my clips. It's happening to many clips, but not all. And not to every instance of a source clips (IE: sometimes I cut back to this single interview clip at different times and the flickering is not present). This is week 2 with this issue. What I have tried so far:

I have updated premiere

updated video drivers twice

exported from 2 different similar PC machines

purged my cache and render files

exported in premiere and in media encoder

copied everything into a new sequence in a new project

Fianly, the most success I've had so far is disabling GPU acceleration when exporting in Media Encoder. It trippled my render time but I only got three flashes in the whole 3min video. But that's still an unacceptable problem. Thoughts?

Project Specs:

3840 x 2160
29.97 fps
48000 Hz - Stereo
Color Space: Rec. 709

Footage is a mixutre of MP4 and MXF

Computer Specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9920X CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)

GPU NVIDIA Quadro P4000

GPU Driver: 516.59
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Export , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Also, another thing that seemed to work with some troublesome mxf files was to change the file name extension from .mxf to .mpg.  I'd duplicate the file first...  This was Ann Bens suggestion.  Credit where credit is due...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional Info:

Here is an exmple of the full video:

https://youtu.be/jxubAgQFDGk

You'll see the glitch is periodic. This was done in Media Encoder with software rendering only (no GPU accelleration). Every time I try a new fix the location of the glitch in the timeline changes. The only thing that seems constant is that it looks like only my MXF clips are effected. While my MP4s are behaving. And no its not feasble to transcode all my MXFs just to get this project to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

Sorry about that. My only suggestion is to transcode the .mxf files until the issue has been worked out. I see others on these forums having problems with certain codecs and .mxf, so I suspect a bug is afoot. I would roll back to an earlier version or target those files for transcoding. I'll look into this issue soon after I return to my desk. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly the problem persists. I have been able to confirm that the culprit is any footage in .mxf. It happens in all my projects. Transcoding all my MXF files to ProRes is not a viable solution as I have 6 years and growing worth of archival footage shot in MXF that I regularly use in different projects. Exporting the project sequence to ProRes and then transcoding that to an mp4 partially works, although sometimes that process Premiere will just completely ignore lumetri on random clips. This is also not an acceptable solution because beyond not working 100% it doesnt fix the fact that these clips are flashing in my timeline while editing them which makes editing a nightmare. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue, started a couple weeks ago while editing, didn't think much of it till now, major project, and it moves from 1 clip to another after I thought I fixed it.  mfx files, seems to be older ones, maybe a 1-2 years older than some of the other ones in timeline, starts in a file with a LUT then migrated to other files w/o luts.

I finally copied the project then opened it with my new powerbook ran it and it was fine, gritting my theeth the whole time , but it worked.  I am on an Imac 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3  AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB  ugraded to big sur as well

Took the same project back to imac and once again flashing.   Whats the fix??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Media Encoder  to 22.6 played the sequence once and it was clear.  Lets see if that's the fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope sorry spoke too soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also running into this except with MOV files.  Is there a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saw this intermittent problem working on a large 4k documentary project..  much of the material was .mxf.    Try this.  select a clip in the bin/project. right click and choose modify:  interpret footage.  Go to the bottom of the modify window and see if the media color space is anything but rec709.  If it is, enable color space override and choose rec709.  This solved my problem and also solved the problem on the proxies from this material without needing to modify the proxy files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, another thing that seemed to work with some troublesome mxf files was to change the file name extension from .mxf to .mpg.  I'd duplicate the file first...  This was Ann Bens suggestion.  Credit where credit is due...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both, and it seems to be fixed.  Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and thanks for the update.  Not enough people do that...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines