Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request: M1 iMac - Premiere doesn't have GoPro Cineform Codec

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! 

I'm working on a large television show, with several dozen thousand files - so when things go offline, it's a huge pain. I recently tried to migrate to the new update of Premiere Pro, which is natively compatible on M1 Macs (which I've been working on the entire time, using the Intel version of the software). I checked with my co-worker before migrating, and they said that the new software version is working great. They are working on a Mac Pro with Intel based chips. 

However, whenever I open the M1 version of Premiere, it gives me an error message that the "files use unsupported file type CFHD". After some cyber sleuthing, I figured out that the error message was indicating that the GoPro Cineform codec (which all 28,000 files have been transcoded into for proxies) doesn't work with the software. The crazy thing is, they were natively generated from Premiere, and work completely fine in the Intel version of the software (which I can launch through the Creative Cloud). 

Changing the codec isn't an option, as we're fairly far into the project at this point. I tried manually installling the codec by downloading some software from GoPro, and it didn't seem to fix anything. I quit and restarted, and uninstalled and reinstalled, and I'm completely at a loss. I'm certain it's just that the codec hasn't been added into the M1 version of the software yet. Any thoughts?

TIA 

Bailey

Idea No status
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got in touch with a support person that pointed me to this article: apparently the CFHD codec compatibility issue is a known problem that will likely be mitigated in future versions.

Posting this here for anyone else having the same issue. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/tr/premiere-pro/kb/premierepro-and-macos-big-sur.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix the issue by installing an older version of premiere. Not only did my footage not load but none of my RedGiant plugins worked. They all had "offline" next to them. The older version is slower but at least everything works the way its supposed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a comprable proxy file for the M1 Macs that are as fast as the GoPro Cineform? 

Thanks, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProRes 422 Proxy, perhaps?

I admittedly don't have an M1 Mac myself, but I tend to lean towards ProRes whenever Mac workflows are involved. It may just be superstition at this point, and may not have any tangible difference though, just my line of thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue since upgrading.  I just figured out that you can "open intel" using the *** button next to the Open button in the Creative Cloud interface.  Seems to relink the footage and work.  Haven't done much with it (and it's obviously not as easy as double clicking the file), but wanted to pass it on.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, hopefully that will solve the OP's problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One heads up.  This method of opening the Intel version through Creative Cloud has been working fine.  However, when exporting I have found that I need to do one at a time from Premiere.  When batch exporting to Media Encoder the errors come back.  Going forward, I will avoid Cineform it's just a couple projects that I had done a media manager version in Cineform that require this special work flow.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I solved it when I launched the Premiere via Rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. This is annoying.  Adobe claims M1 native silicon support, but didn't update the codecs.

We're also running a show with most of the VFX and Colorist files in Cineform.  

This means we cannot use the latest generation of macs.  Running under Rosetta 2 is comparable to running an older machine.

Adobe should have at least predicted this and wrote the code to auto convert media to a working format instead of tossing out a "general importer error."  That's the laziest thing I've ever seen.  

FYI, Resolve imported all of our project assets and still runs Apple silicon native.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working solution as of May, 2022 directly from Adobe support: Please open the application folder > There you will see the Premiere Pro folder. Open that folder and then inside that you will see Premiere Pro (application) > Right click on Premiere Pro > Get info > Select Rosetta mode there and then relaunch your application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This solution worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! You saved the day, this solution worked for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same process works with Adobe Media Encoder .... I did the > Get info > and checked "Open using Rosetta". Then I added all my GPCF media, and re-encoded to Apple ProRes 4444 with alpha, since my source material was from Adobe Character Animator (which used to offer the CineForm codec for output with alpha). I put all the renders into a new folder (same names as before) and re-linked the new ProRes media in Premiere NOT opened with Rosetta. A bit of a pain but all went smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMFG Thank YOU! So many hours of my life struggling with alpha channel files on Premiere and sleep lost over something that is such a simple fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to be able to work with that codec on Silicon Macs is to launch the apps on Rosetta.

I can't believe this still has not been taken care of yet. Running an app in Rosetta mode defeats the purpose of having an M1 Silicon Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

who's supprised that years later this is still an issue? not me.. Adobe would rather make some new glittery feature than fix a fundemental problem....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BaileyShak ,

I'm moving this post to the Ideas forum. We need the community to begin upvoting this feature request.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, but the Rosetta fix worked. Adobe, please add support for this codec!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a new M2 Mac. The rosetta fix isn't working for me. Confirmed from the Activity monitor it is running in Intel mode but still getting the "unsupported compression type" on GoPro footage.

UPDATE: I now think my footage was corrupt, possibly from someone turning the power socket off and on again on a battery-less GoPro shooting timelapse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me is going to the Creative Cloud app, and clicking the 3 dots next to open on the right of Premiere in the list of apps. In the drop down that appears, select Open (Intel). Is that different that what you call the Rosetta fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say for sure, but it's probably the same thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just had the same issue. 5 files with alpha channel on CFHD codec don't open on Premiere with the M3 Max chip. How do we escalate this absutdity? 

Votes

Translate

Translate