• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major bug with search filters AND with Search bins!

Contributor ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Augh. When even the workaround has a bug, it gets pretty tiring.

Any ideas why Prem is failing to filter results in the bin window correctly,

or why my Search bins aren't populating with relevant files either

would be greatly appreciated, thank you! I'm tearing my hair out over this.

I made a screencast:

Premiere bug with Search bin AND filters.webm - Google Drive

btw, this is after I've just deleted ALL media cache

and imported the project into a new project.

Latest version of Prem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your files are still conforming (lower right).

Give it some time to finish conforming and check if it works better for you.

If it does not, please try to clear preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Christian. Here's an updated video in which you can see all conforming has completed, and still same bug:

Update - Prem SEARCH and FILTER bug.webm - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you lflegg

I have to admit, this has not happened to me before. However, other weird issues happened with me related to the search bar, and each required a different solution.

Let's work together to find a cause and a solution for this issue.

I know that you deleted the Cache already, please manually delete one more time, delete preview files and reset preferences.

Also if you can answer those questions:

1- Is this project migrated from an older version of Premiere?

2- You mentioned that you imported the project to a new one, but have you originally imported any assets (specifically the problematic sequences) from another project?

3- have you tried renaming the problematic sequence or making a copy, or creating a new sequence with the same name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was fixed in version 13.0.1 (build 13) and every update since the bug is back...

We have 6 machines in our office, every one of them have this bug.

We rolled all our machines back to 13.0.1 (build 13).

It was crippling our production since April 2018, until the 13.0.1 update came out.

we update one machine (mac) every release, test it for a day and then rollback to previous because the search function still not fixed.

Very frustrating.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things to try:

• Change your workspace to a default workspace and try your bin search again.
  • Start a brand new project and import your old project in it's entirety. Try search again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX

(this works perfectly for me with no problems)

rollback to previous version

• Open the Creative Cloud desktop app by clicking the Creative Cloud icon in your taskbar (Windows) or the Apple menu bar (Mac OS). If you aren’t automatically signed in, sign in using your Adobe ID and password.
  • Scroll to the app you want to install.
  • Click the arrow next to Install or Open. Then, click Manage.
  • Click Other Versions.
  • In the list that appears, find the version that you want to install, and then click Install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I have not tried this yet, but can you tell us exaclex which version works for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out which version DOES NOT have this find/search problem? I'm currently on 13.0.2

Do I have to go all the way back to 11.04? Or does 13.0 or 13.0.1 work? I can't remember after which update this broke.

the command F dialog workaround does seem to work, although find all seems erratic and you have to reopen the dialog box every time you need to search. But the search/filter bin field is definitely not working regardless of cache/new project, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Hi again!  I replied in another discussion thread on the same issue, but FYI, I'm on 13.0.2, build 38, and as of yesterday, my search seems to be working fine (in a new project). I haven't gone back to the old project(s) to check yet. But it's either fixed for me, or related to the project file, apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. That's the same version I'm on. I've already created a new project and imported everything into it, but perhaps I will try it again. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

We're investigating this issue on our end. I have a couple of questions!

1. Did you convert this project from an older version of Premiere to the newest version?

2. If you create a new project and import your old project into the new one, does the search filter work?

3. Would anyone be willing to share their project files with me so we can investigate?

Thanks!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Converted and new projects: still same issue.

2. Tried that many times - including piece by piece...

3. Our projects are huge, so it's impossible to do that.

Thanks for looking into this issue as we are using the previous version now and we have to put up with the legacy title bug that is fixed in the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caroline,

Here is a project with a few assets that do not show up when using the Filter or Search functions.

Things to note:

File imported into this project are also unfilterable.

Importing another project (that is search/filterable) no longer is search/filterable in this project.

Importing THIS project into another project that works fine, you will still not be able to filter the files from this project (but still can filter the others).

https://adobe.ly/2ByS8iL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Did you convert this project from an older version of Premiere to the newest version?

I can't be sure if this is always the case, but the project I was working on was saved before the latest updates.

2. If you create a new project and import your old project into the new one, does the search filter work?

This worked for me a couple of times but not always. Strange thing: I was busy exporting a sequence from an old (pre ver 13) project with Project Manager. Project Manager of course creates a new sequence using either copied or transcoded assets. However, when you import this trimmed project (current version 13) in to a new project (also current version 13), the search bombs out again. So weird. It's like the project file inherits this bug even if you create a new trimmed project through project manager.

3. Would anyone be willing to share their project files with me so we can investigate?

As soon as my deadlines are done, and if a solution hasn't been found yet, I will play around using smaller file assets and export it for you.

Man, I hope you guys find a solution for this. It is so annoying! haha For now, I'll use CTRL-F, which kinda does what I need it to do. It's just a bit cumbersome to search this way.

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too with the latest version of Premiere, needless to say this is a major bug.

Premiere is hardly useful for me with no search filters. This bug is driving me to the brink of madness.

I have a major project I use daily with hundreds of clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

As far as I understand, you don't have to upload your media, just the project file is enough to see where the filter is breaking. I'll let you know if that changes and I need some more media. I've downloaded the one project file provided here and I'm working on compiling a report on it.

Thanks for helping us get this fixed! I can't imagine how difficult it's been to keep things organized.

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LFlegg, and others on this thread,

I suspect that the issue is related to lack of metadata for your clips.

How was your media originally ingested? Which camera did they come from originally?

• Do these clips reside on a CF card in the camera?
  • Did you cherry pick the clips out and use File > Import or drag/drop the files into the Project?

If so, you might want to try:

1. copying the entire contents of the CF card to your hard drive
  2. Importing the clips via the Media Browser and not File > import

Are you able to search for your clips then?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

In this sample project I uploaded, none of the assets in the project are search/filterable. If you bring new clips in (via import or Media Browser) they are unsearchable as well.

Sample Project:

https://adobe.ly/2ByS8iL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Welp, there goes my theory. Thanks for taking the time.

What is the sample media? Any shared projects in the mix with this project? Any other dependencies? A confounding issue because I'm just not seeing it. I'll forward your project file.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a mix of files. In this particular project none are even video files. PNGs, GIFS, WAV. Nothing is searchable, not even a sequence file. You can open the project and add your own media and that too will not be searchable/filterable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. I filed a bug on your behalf. I included as many forum posts having this error in the bug. Hopefully, we can get some traction on this bug. I understand how debilitating it might be to anyone's workflow. Weird that it's never happened to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LFlegg,

How is this going with current versions of Premiere Pro in a brand new project? Please let us know how it's going.

For others having this issue, please create your own separate and new post.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

This is definitely not fixed and it is a huge deal. Search bin results are still completely unreliable in 13.03 Build 9. My experience with this issue goes back about 8 months and it looks like people have been reporting this for about a year, maybe even two. Below are all the reports I've found outside of the several threads here.

My latest example: In a project with 159 unique .MOV files/clips I create a search bin for filename:MOV. The search bin is then populated with 116 .MOV clips. It doesn't matter if I use "All Metadata", or search lower-case, or search based on label "iris" (which all the clips have by default).

And for each of the 159 clips, I set the Log Note metadata field to NEEDSPROXY. Then create a search bin for Log Note:NEEDSPROXY. The search bin is then populated with zero clips.

I have started a new project, re-imported etc. I have seen this on several projects now in both 2018 and 2019. I've also seen search bins populate with wrong results - clips that shouldn't be there, not just missing clips. The issue is particularly dangerous because search bins often still contain many results, so it can fool you into thinking it's working when in fact it isn't. I can't overstate what a massive problem this is on large projects. I no longer recommend premiere to editors embarking on complex projects because of this bug.

Here are some of the many bugfix requests for this on UserVoice (including mine) dating back to June of last year:

BUG: search bin yields straight-up wrong results – Adobe video & audio apps

Search Bin Can't Find All Clips – Adobe video & audio apps

Premiere Pro CC 2019 13.0.2 search / find / bin filter issues – Adobe video & audio apps

Search bins are not working. PLEASE fix – Adobe video & audio apps

And a report from 2017 that sounds pretty familiar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/premiere/comments/5o325a/problem_with_search_bins_premiere_cc_2017/

Happy to share the project or any other useful info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still very much alive in the newest version of PP. I'm now resorting to using an external File Explorer to search items and drag them into the project bin as needed, and just manually look through it when I need to reuse an asset. It's messy, and it is a major stumbling block in my workflow right now.

Honestly, if could use another platform at this point, I would, but unfortunately our company's whole design studio revolves Adobe integration, and collaboration with other editors. I've been a pretty "loud" evangelist for Premiere Pro and getting our outside contractors on board, but going through these issues myself and seeing them report on the same thing, is incredibly discouraging.

I trust you guys are on it and I do hope a solution for this will be forthcoming soon. I've submitted my sample and tried every workaround that's been suggested here and elsewhere, including some of my own. It is now in your hands.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines