• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major bug with search filters AND with Search bins!

Contributor ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Augh. When even the workaround has a bug, it gets pretty tiring.

Any ideas why Prem is failing to filter results in the bin window correctly,

or why my Search bins aren't populating with relevant files either

would be greatly appreciated, thank you! I'm tearing my hair out over this.

I made a screencast:

Premiere bug with Search bin AND filters.webm - Google Drive

btw, this is after I've just deleted ALL media cache

and imported the project into a new project.

Latest version of Prem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Hope I don't jinx it , but I want to cautiously mention that with today's update (13.1.0 build 193), it seems this bug may be squashed. I'm still testing, but so far, in both new and old (converted to 13.1) projects, the bin-search function seems to be working again.

I hope you all have the same experience! Thank you devs. Crossing my fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. I rolled back to 13.0.1, and the search started working. But after a good number of hours of organization, the search stoped working again! This is incredibly infuriating. Has there been a resolve on this issue?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Built a custom panel workaround.  Happy to share with a few people.  It's not a pro build yet, just a quick-dev to get us through a project with a lot of items.

It shows all the clips in your project in a flat list (i.e. non-hierarchical).  Does not affect your project / folder structure.

It just provides an additional listing of your items, a search filter, and click-to-load-source-monitor.

Limitations:

- Takes a little time to build the list (10 seconds per 1000 items), possibly slower on older systems.

- Doesn't auto-update if you add, delete, or restructure your project.  There's a manual "Refresh" button.

- Only lists source clips (for now), not sequences or multicam sources

- No guarantees.  It's a simple workaround app until Adobe fixes their "Filter Bin Content" / "Search Bin".

- Mac only (for now).

Up-sides:

- Install is easy: download, drag to extensions folder, relaunch.  Deletes as easily.

- It filters quickly, loads clips easily.  We're already finding it a little more nimble than both "Search Bins" and "Filter Bin Content", so will probably stick with it even after the Adobe fix comes through.

- Allows multiple filter items (i.e. "and"-style  filtering, meaning you can requests words to be restrictive.  There's currently "or" filtering, meaning you can't yet create additive requests.)

- Listing will show the following info from your project: Clip Name, Comments, Description, and PPro path.  No durations, start, ends, tech info, etc.  Those would be added / perhaps customizable later.

IM me for log-on creds / install instructions.  (It's easy.  There's no fee.  Just follow up with feedback.)  Can't guarantee immediate improvements.  We're literally using this to get through an edit.  Might build it out further depending on our need / your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good news, it appears the latest update (13.1.0 build 193) has resolved this issue, and retroactively. I was able to open an old project that exhibited this issue and everything is now searchable and filterable.

As of today, the Fixed Issues page has not been updated with this patch but I'm sure this issue will make an appearance.

Bugs fixed in versions 13.x releases of Premiere Pro

If anyone is still experiencing this issue on the latest version, please report it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me. I can search the meta-data that was already written, but have you tried writing new metadata? That doesn't work for me. And when I downloaded the update, it made my footage playback incredibly slow and jittery in my sequence. On top of that, the LUT had on my adjustment layer was, for whatever reason, causing vastly different results than it was in the previous version. So strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added something to Tape Name and it is searchable. What specifically is not working?

Let's keep the discussion related to Search in this thread. If you have issues with footage or LUTs, please make a new post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added info in Description and it wasn't searchable. And this morning, I even had someone with Adobe gain access to my computer, and go through a variety of steps to see if they could get it to work, but they couldn't. They said they're taking the problem to their director.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to 13.1.0/193 and so far so good in terms of search bins. Didn't have to re-import to new project or shenanigans.  One thing to note is that it took a sec for the search bins to populate after the project loaded, so at first I thought they still weren't working.

Also tested adding some new metadata (description) and that appeared to work. I was able to create a search bin that found it correctly. Was happy to see it populate super fast in list view w/ no thumbnails.

The inconsistent nature of this bug makes me not want to get my hopes up too much until I've tested it out more, but for now it's looking good and fingers crossed! A few other things feel snappier too including GH5 10 bit playback which always choked before. Is this the update I've been waiting a year-and-a-half for? Will be loading up a few big projects in the next few days and will keeping an eye on all things search, hoping for the best.

Also how do you get somebody from Adobe to assist!!??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also how do you get somebody from Adobe to assist!!??

Here you go: Adobe Help Center

Link to "contact us" on in the lower left.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Why won't this work for me!! I feel cursed. And yeah, haha. I was surprised too. I went through their Live chat. He was actually pretty attentive, but also confused by my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try making a brand new project in the new version of Premiere, then import your old project and see if search works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin!

Blakeb: Here is a good place to continue the LUT conversation. Could help you figure out your situation. Bottom line: beware the lut folders. Very weirdly implemented. Be careful changing anything in there unless you test it, understand how it works, and use a consistent workflow.

Linking LUTs by name rather than by position on LUTs list – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest update 13.1.0 (build 193) definitely appears to be working just fine! The Search tool is back in business and do am I. Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated and search function works!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 13.1.0 (Build 193) and the search folder function provides inconsistent results for me. For example, when I create a search folder seeking 'Media Type' then type "Sequence" in the search field, Premiere correctly creates a new folder with all four sequences located throughout the project. However, when I create a search folder seeking 'Label' and then select 'Forest', Premiere creates a new search folder and incorrectly shows only one sequence - the only sequence in the same folder I'm currently viewing (instead of finding all Forest labels throughout the project. Forest is the label color of all of my sequences. In other words, the search scope using media type was global whereas the scope by label was only in the currently viewed folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea... Not exactly fixed in the 2020 version. Who's testing this stuff? Kevin! Help us! It's hard to come up with the right right adjective for how ridiculous this is. Screenshot kinda says it all so I'll let it do the talking.

HUH?HUH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's having a hard time distinguishing between 0 and 6?  After all, they look a little the same. Maybe it needs reading glasses. I was so hoping this problem would be fixed. Time to swtich to another editing system? This is beyond ridiculous. Apparently the idea of having a reliable search function is too basic and boring for the designers of Premiere who'd rather ignore this and introduce "exciting new features!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is a year old, the issue goes back almost two years (there's a uservoice entry with 121 replies and 145 votes stretching back to April of 2018), and I remember searching being a problem going on longer than that.

Pinned to that uservoice entry is a July 17,  2018 response from Patrick Palmer, principle product manager of Adobe stating "this issue has been addressed with 12.1.2", and the issue being marked "Completed"), and yet here's lflegg in January of 2019, effectively claiming the opposite, followed by countless posts in this thread, on Facebook and elsewhere.

Searching for footage is, in fact, i.e. finding that shot, is among the most important thing editors do on a daily, hourly, minute-by-minute basis.

Here's another post from 2019 further communcating the issue was not addressed

Would love to hear back from Mr. Palmer about this.  Why not only the lack of a fix but not even a progress resport?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So.... Search bins still totally untrustworthy eh? Like 5+ years on? Have we just given up and moved on to software that can perform a basic search? I mostly have but still need to use Premiere sometimes and today it's reminding me why I left.

Here I have at least 9 sequences with INTV in the description. A search bin based on that finds.... One.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 104101.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have got to be kidding! It's as basic blah tools such as this (that a simple word program could do 20+ years ago) are somehow not important to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines