• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mapping Windows file Comments to Project Panel

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For still being imported into Premiere, is there a metadata choice to show the Windows (10) file "Comments" property? I can identify and display in the Project panel for the stills each file's rating, description, F-stop and other properties, but can't find one that relates to "Comments."  "User Comment" from the Exif-Specific Properties list doesn't map to them, nor does anything in the Basic metadata list.

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

"However, it's a one-way trip: changing the field value in PPro doesn't change it in Explorer, and until the image is reimported..."

Not really, you can change some field in PPRO and it will be reflected in Windows. Titles and Object ( description and comment in PPRO ) will be reflected in windows and once changed in Windows it's reflected in PPRO. Just be sure to do it in the Metadata Panel ( the specific panel for metadatas ) and to clic the link propertie icon next to the propertie ( in blue )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to go to the wing menu (4 lines) in the project panel tab and choose metadate display, then add that column for future use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but isn't that for adding a new property? I don't see a way to map it to an existing Windows file property that way, it just becomes something I have to fill in as I go along. I'm trying to link to the existing Windows Comments property so I don't have to retype all of those entries I made when I was rating and identifying each photo image before importing them into PPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to go to the wing menu (4 lines) in the project panel tab and choose metadate display, then add that column for future use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about trying it?   😉

That doesn't add "blank" lines for you to fill, those options are to pull in the meta of the file that might be in variuos formats/places in the header or whatnot. And aren't fields typically brought in by the stock setup.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  take the forum comments and help seriously, and I absolutely did try the suggestion. I created a new property that matches the Windows file property name - Comments. While I can change it, it does not connect to the Win file property. Plus I pulled ALL of the properties in Dublin Core, Basic, PremierePro and Basic EXIF Schema Metadata in, and that property doesn't come over. So maybe PPro doesn't connect to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ... yea, some things PrPro doesn't see even if you can in say Bridge. But most things that are in the options for all those things do work. I've needed to set the schema for my work as I don't use a quarter of the columns the stock setup shows. But I do use some others.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just curious, how can you add comments in windows 10. Maybe I don't understand . Do you want to see the comments inserted within Premiere , on windows explorer columns ? Or do you insert comments in Windows 10 explorer ( I didn't know it was possible ) ? Premiere Pro metadatas are XMP and I don't know if windows can read them. By the way , maybe you can use Bridge instead of windows explorer but I can understand it's not really crossplatform if you send your files to someone in a non Adobe environnement.

XMP is compatible with Avid for example so you can read xmp metadata in Avid Media Composer.

For still, I can't see the comment in Bridge, for video I know it works.

For Bridge use, don't forget to do 2 things, choose in PPRO preferences to select " Enable clip and XMP Metadata linking " in Madia Tab. Then in the Metadata Panel you can use the link icon to link some properties to be written in XMP from PPRO.

Hope it helps in a certain way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember, this is for stills, not mp4s. Yes, in Windows File Explorer, with the "Details pane" option selected in the View menu, select an image file, and in the right Details pane, you can change the Comments, Title, Authors, Rating and host of other properties. Interestingly, Windows mirrors the Title and Subject fields, so changing one changes the other.   For mp4s, the only thing Windows lets you change is the rating. When it comes to the video files, I don't know about linking File Explorer to the PPro XMP files -- my Sony A7riii only outputs mp4s and and XML sidecar files. The XMLs have no File Explorer-changeable properties, so I just work within PPro to add log notes and descriptions to the mp4s. Anyway, maybe one day Adobe will have a link to the Comment field since it can be quite useful in describing a clip. Don't know if there's a Mac analog to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understood it was for Still. After a few tests, For PNG, I can't do much in windows. For JPEG , only rate and keywords are reflected in PPRO as you have mentionned but no comments. Sorry, I have tried but fail to. Just to be curious, what is the meaning of doing it in windows ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have specified JPEG, since I can't use ARW in PPro and JPEG, after processing through Lightroom or Bridge, does the job for PPro. Never tried it with PNG, but a quick experiment running a JPEG through Photoshop and saving it as a PNG showed that all of the properties that could be modified in Explorer for a JPEG now were either missing or locked. 

For JPEGs, if you modify the Title property in Windows Explorer, that appears in PPro's Description field. While they can't be modified, the F Stop, GPS coordinates and other properties move across as well into PPro, but I think you knew that. However, it's a one-way trip: changing the field value in PPro doesn't change it in Explorer, and until the image is reimported, changess to those values in Explorer don't flow to PPro.

Why bother with populating Comment in Windows? Other than a lot more information can be added about a shot, it's also searchable, which can be handy when trudging through 10's of thousands of images that don't have good file names or titles/subjects. I'm bad at using tags, but that's another option (that doesn't appear in PPro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"However, it's a one-way trip: changing the field value in PPro doesn't change it in Explorer, and until the image is reimported..."

Not really, you can change some field in PPRO and it will be reflected in Windows. Titles and Object ( description and comment in PPRO ) will be reflected in windows and once changed in Windows it's reflected in PPRO. Just be sure to do it in the Metadata Panel ( the specific panel for metadatas ) and to clic the link propertie icon next to the propertie ( in blue ).

Capture Metadata panel.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool, I didn't know that, merci. I got it to work for updates to the Title field directly in the Project Panel, but the Metadata panel as you point out, is more comprehensive, plus you can select multiple clips and change properties to the same value for all of them at once. Although that can be slow if many clips are picked.

Still, and I suspect you are seeing the same thing, no bonne chance for Comment, and the connection between Description and Title as well as Title and Subject is loose at best. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines