• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking with free draw bezier - glitches into rotation when masking

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying my hand at tracked masking with the free draw bezier tool.

When drawing the mask, I will place my first point but when I go to draw my second (close to the first), I click and the mouse icon changes into the rotate icon for a split second and rotates my entire mask path. Therefore if I am doing a particularly intricate mask needing lots of points close to eachother, this becomes an absolutele nightmare when the mask glitches and rotates! 

Has anyone experienced this? I can't find this problem mentioned anywhere else and it's a real barrier when masking.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

This is where you should try using the zoom level drop-down at the lower left of the Program Monitor. If you are doing an intricate mask then zoom in closer.

Secondly, you can add a point firther away from where you want it to be (to avoid rotation tool appearing) and then immediately click on that new point and move it to where you want it. Then continue creating your next point etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is where you should try using the zoom level drop-down at the lower left of the Program Monitor. If you are doing an intricate mask then zoom in closer.

Secondly, you can add a point firther away from where you want it to be (to avoid rotation tool appearing) and then immediately click on that new point and move it to where you want it. Then continue creating your next point etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your response.

I do zoom in, almost as much as possible, when doing these mask. The rotation still happens. 

I also have done your second suggestion, which gets tiresome to have to repeatedly readjust every new point. 

This just doesn't seem to happen when I watch anyone else's tutorials 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I have the same issue. People in tutorials don't seem to have it so I wonder if there is a setting or something to turn it off. So far haven't found anything and it's really annoying to edit that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey have you found the solution yet? I am masking a very small object its very annoying..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a nightmare where it always defaults to rotate when I want to just move a mask point. Again, I'm zoomed in really close. I've seen this causing problems for people on multiple forums but no solution to just 'turn off auto rotate' or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE ADOBE!!!! I can't think of a simpler coding fix. Just TURN OFF the AUTO switch to rotate on the "Free-auto Bezier Tool" on the next update and let us make detailed clean masks. As someone else said, it truly is the bane of our existence. The mask tool is so powerful and if you feel the need to keep this switch to rotate thing - then perhaps just assign it another key like shift-control or something. Would be a game changer and probably even increase sales!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone find the answer to this! It's driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news I've been in touch with Adobe and it looks like it's about to be fixed! Hopefully should available in beta soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope so! I've been using Adobe Premiere Pro for 3 years now, and I always heavily use masking in my work, and it slows me down SO much. I have not once needed to rotate a mask, and it's absolutely ridiculous how much it automatically switches to the rotate option. What the person in the top post on this thread described is absolutely true--you carefully identify a point, then go to click, and you end up rotating most of the time. I ALWAYS mask at 400% zoom in an effort to avoid this and it is still a huge problem. Adobe, please take this seriously. Please make it a matter of pressing a button to make the rotate option pop up rather than having it come up automatically. It is wasting so much time and money. I do have the option to use another video editing program and could switch any time, but I keep hoping you'll fix this problem. It's the only complaint I have. But it is a huge and important complaint. Please fix it soon--the person who said they spoke with you reported that you said you were fixing it soon, and that was back in September. If other people are experiencing issues as a result of this feature and want Adobe to change it, please create an account and voice your feedback here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we're at it, I'm realizing that I do have another complaint, but I'm not sure that it would be as simple to change. It would be really great if on a masking path, masking points would only appear when they are needed. In other words, if a video editor needs an additional point in a frame of the video, the point can be added, but it is not added in any previous frames. It only exists in following frames. Along this same line of thinking, if a point is deleted, it will be deleted in that frame and all following frames, but it does not go away in previous frames. I hope this makes sense--I'm not confident in my description of what I'm requesting. I don't know if that would be hard to fix. It sounds hard to fix. But if anyone else feels the same, again, please speak up. I guess that means I have two complaints, not just one. But the automatic rotating issue--I really hope that gets fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/premiere-pro/using/whats-new.html

December 2022 release (version 23.1)

Improved masking tools

Easily mask objects by adding multiple points on a path without rotate and scale options getting in the way. Zoom in and out in the Program Monitor with the added 800% and 1600% zoom level options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines