• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mavic 2 Drone Footage - Very choppy in timeline and export - Urgently looking for fix.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am currently working on a project for a friend that includes 4k & 2.7k drone footage from the Mavic 2. When I open the footage in VLC it looks great and smooth. However, whenever I import it into Adobe I start to skip a large amount of frames and I understand that this is normal. However, it also skips frames when I export the footage.

I have tried:

- Playback resolution 1/4 and 1/8

-  Rendering in to out inside Adobe.

- Creating Proxies - I can scrub the footage perfectly in Adobe however, when I export I start to skip a large amount of frames again.

For some reason the footage actually plays back smoother inside Adobe when I do not render the footage "in to out".

I recorded the footage with a:
SanDisk Extreme 256 GB microSDXC Memory Card

- 160MB/s read, and 90 MB/s write

- UHS Speed Class 3 rating and video class speed of V30 labelled as “4K UHD-ready” which makes it an ideal choice for 4K footage.

My laptop specs:

- 16gb RAM

- GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Design (with latest driver)

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Noah

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need at least 32 gig of ram to edit 4K footage.

What kind of proxies did you make.

Render in to out as in making preview files or exporting.

Post screenshot export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need at least 32 gig of ram to edit 4K footage.

Does that mean I cannot export 4k footage smoothly without having 32gb of RAM?

What kind of proxies did you make.

I downloaded proxy templates from Matt Johnson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b8VtZX62XA)

1280x720 - Cineform (if that makes any sense?)

Sorry I dont know too much about proxies yet.

Render in to out as in making preview files or exporting.

Preview files.

Post screenshot export settings.

I can do this later, do you have any suggested export settings that I can try out?

The video will be exported at 1080p in the final stage.

❗ Download my FREE Proxy Preset: https://get.whoismatt.com/proxypreset Is your computer too slow to edit 4K video? Or do you have a fast computer that still lags when you are editing 4K, 6K, or even 8K footage? This video will show you how to create proxy files to MASSIVELY speed up your video ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad advice.
You could theoretically edit 4k footage with 8gb ram.... although I am positive it is not ideal unless you have created proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can edit 4K Pro Red, R3D, BRAW H.264 etc with 16 GB of RAM on two different PCs. I could do it six years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy the contents of the card to an internal hard drive or are you trying to edit from the card? You can't edit well if you are trying to edit from the card.

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy the contents of the card to an internal hard drive or are you trying to edit from the card?

I copied the contents on my internal SSD.

My SSD is a - Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB M.2 Internal NVMe SSD (up to 3.500 MB/s) 

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

computer specs:

- 16gb RAM

- GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Design (with latest driver)

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz

hard drives:

2 SSD's - Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB M.2 Internal NVMe SSD

1. 50gb free (the project is on this one)

2. 807gb free - freshly installed it yesterday.

I will try clear some spaces on my 1. SSD and put the project on 2. SSD and try to export it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have tried freeing up space on all SSD's and while it has improved the speed of my Laptop it has not solved the problem with my footage skipping large amounts of frames when exported.

I tried using the export setting presets in Adobe Premiere such as "YouTube 1080p Full HD" and also made some custom ones with higher bitrates.

What steps should I take next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue and my computer is an absolute beast.. it is not the computer like people are saying.. something fishy is going on with premiere and these mavic clips.. The rest of my video I shot is running perfectly smooth otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H264/5 is never good for editing, but in all the time that I've been editing video, anything that comes from a DJI product has absolutely monstrous playback. And that's on any number of high end systems at half a dozen different production companies, my own computers, etc. DJI has some secret sauce to their h264/5 encoding. That being said, I'm surprised that the OP has had issues with Cineform proxies, and regardless of playback in Premiere the final product shouldn't inherit any of those issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!!!

It's a nightmare everytime I have to work with any footage from DJI. There's no way around it except for making proxies or transcoding the original media.

I have yet to use a system that can edit DJI's files smoothly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export using Adobe Media Encoder

I'm having the same issue. Plays fine within adobe but unable to export smoothly. I've never had these issues before on this same computer.....perhaps it's an issue with a recent update. I'm sure it has to do with the frame rate of the drone clip differing from the  timeline. In my project I have a drone clip shot at 23.976 fps which renders fine but the drone clips at 29.97 do not. I've tried setting to 80%, using frame blending and optical flow as opposed to frame sampling....but to no avail.

Finally I tried exporting using Adobe Media Encoder with no issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as Noah and exporting via media encoder didn't work for me unfortunately. My project is a mixture of go pro clips, & 4k footage off the mavic 2 pro. The go pro footage is great, the mavic footage doesn't play even after export and render

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing the same issue.  Footage was actually working fine earlier, and it's only been seen the last couple of updates of premiere that suddenly it's stopped functioning properly.  Editing on a PC, but I have a Macbook as well, an old one, and oddly if I open the project on that, the drone footage plays and exports fine, even though it has worse specs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the first time I've had the same issue with footage from a DJI Mavic 2 Pro when it comes to exporting footage, but exporting the video using Media Encoder solved the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using media encoder didn't seem to make any difference for me. Wondering if it was a graphics card update that caused it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luvo, You saved my day! Thanks a ton!! I was working with proxy files and the playback was eventually lagging and dropping frames. I exported the sequence via Media Encorder. Worked beautifuly! I tried several other work arounds that worked temporarily in adobe, but after export, would go back to lagging and dropping frames. Your Media Encoder suggestion saved me so much stress! Thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a frame rate issue between the clips and the sequence settings.

I suggest you use a 25fps sequence and film all your footage in 25fps to make sure the meta is consistant across all your footage and your sequence settings.

On that note, if you have an archive of footage filmed in different frame rates, you can always go the rout of "assume footage at 25fps". this should help close the gap between framerate variation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try switching form Nvenc to Quick Sync as seen in the video below. Sometimes the Nvidia Drivers have issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU

This video demonstrates how to enable GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. It also shows how to enable Intel's Quick Sync. Resolve https://amzn.to/3NcL1zP Adobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN All links are monetized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man I'm facing the same issue. I'm desperated because I have to deliver the video to a cliente asap.

Video plays smoothly while editing using proxies, but the export is so choppy. My project is a mix of DJI Mavic .MOV files, Go Pro and Sony a6000 .mp4 files.. Man I don't know what is happening withe DJI 4K frames..

Literally my first project on a very brand new computer. I9, 32gb ram, 500 ssd. All brand new components.. Why.. Why is this happening.

The drone shots are so choppy in the export..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finger crossed as I am having the exact same issue! Hoping we can find a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made it!

Turns out the problem was the the video format. I edit on pc and I heard that Windows doesn´t handle the .MOV file format very well. Mac can handle this format without problems usually.

So I downloaded XMedia Recode, don´t if it´s the best file converter but it worked for me. I converted the mov files to .mp4 and it worked!

Let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved my source files to an SSD and then exported to an SSD. No problems since! It looks like it was slow disks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is all the problem of Premiere Pro because it doesn't happen in Avid or Resolve. It isn't a proxy thing or a drive speed thing. Again it is Premiere. Plays jittery in Premiere plays smooth as silk in original quicktime. Unadultrated clip and same as source sequence play jittery in Premiere. No transcoding in the world or proxifying will help. Might have something ot do with shooting at high frame rate on Drone but I doubt it.  Premiere is at fault and your making us crazy. Fix it Adobe I pay a lot every month. I want use Premiere but ever so buggy in so many areas.

I suggest using Resolve or Avid. Resolve is free from Black Magic.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, chatisclosedshyt,

Sorry for your issue with drone footage. 

• It is all the problem of Premiere Pro because it doesn't happen in Avid or Resolve.
  • I suggest using Resolve or Avid. Resolve is free from Black Magic.

Nice to know. Thanks for the info. Regarding Premiere Pro, can you give us full details about your computer system to check your system requirements? Can we get complete details of the footage? Run it through MediaInfo in Tree View and show us a screenshot to help.

KevinMonahan_0-1644871213852.png
  • Plays jittery in Premiere plays smooth as silk in original QuickTime.

A player app will have a different performance than an NLE. Sorry for the confusion.

KevinMonahan_1-1644871216434.png

• It isn't a proxy thing or a drive speed thing.
  • Unadultrated clip and same as source sequence play jittery in Premiere.
  • No transcoding in the world or proxying will help.
  • I suggest using Resolve or Avid. Resolve is free from Black Magic.

That is unusual, as proxies and transcodes usually solve almost every performance issue. Did you use the QuickTime presets or the H.264 ones?

KevinMonahan_2-1644871217651.png

• It might have something to do with shooting at a high frame rate on Drone but I doubt it. 

Please share complete details about your media. It helps. Check out the freeware MediaInfo. That is the app we ask editors to use here.

KevinMonahan_3-1644871218722.png
  • Fix it Adobe I pay a lot every month.
  • I want use Premiere but ever so buggy in so many areas.

Apologies. Adobe support is here in the user-to-user forum and is here to help but to contact the product team about quality issues (complaints), bugs, and feature requests; use this link: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Happy to help with your current issue, but we need more info, please. 🙂

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines