• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MBP M1 MAX 14 inch top spec, unable to playback more than one track of 4k footage, is this right?

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got the very latest Macbook Pro 14 inch M1, 64 gigs of RAM, all the cores you can get CPU, GPU,  2TB SSD. I have followed every suggestion here to optimise the machine, (cleared cashe, lowered Ram usage for other programs, GPU acceleration ticked) I am using mixed frame rates as it's lots of different stock footage but have modifided all clips to be read at the same frame rate of 23.976

I am not using proxies because I need to keep editing the footage as new bits are added. I am using a bit of masking and opacity.  I can just about playback one track at 1/4 speed more than that its too choopy. This is almost as bad as my 2015 laptop. Is there something wrong with my machine or was I expecting too much?  I was seriouly hoping it would fly, it's been 7 years!

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cazc67780680,

We're sorry to hear about this. Please let us know more about the media specifications (format, original frame rate, color space & bit depth). Are you experiencing poor playback only when you make opacity changes/apply effects, or is it also happening while playing clips with no effects applied?

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sumeet, 

Opacity and effects off does help. Original frame rates vary from 23.976 up to 30. There is some music at 44100hz. The size of the clips also varies though I have adjusted them accordingly.

For example Clip 1 : Type: MPEG Movie File Size: 5.95 MB Image Size: 1280 x 720 Frame Rate: 30.00 Total Duration: 00:00:25:00 Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0 Alpha: None Color Space: Rec. 709 Color Space Override: Off Input LUT: None Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 (adjusted to 23.976)

50 % opacity over automated to 0 over a few seconds 
Clip 2 Type: MPEG Movie File Size: 97.52 MB Image Size: 3840 x 2160 Frame Rate: 29.97 Source Audio
Format: 48000 Hz - Compressed - Stereo Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo Total Duration: 00:00:41:00 Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0 Alpha: None Color Space: Rec. 709 Color Space Override: Off Input LUT: None Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0  (adjusted to 23.976)

Clip 3 Darker Colour Blend opacity with variable speed. 
Type: MPEG Movie File Size: 591.70 KB Image Size: 1920 x 1080 Frame Rate: 30.00 Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - Compressed - Stereo Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo Total Duration: 00:00:17:12 Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0 Alpha: None Color Space: Rec. 709 Color Space Override: Off Input LUT: None Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0  (adjusted to 23.976)

How many tracks should I be able to playback at 4k stacked on top of each other like this? I was hope for at 3, Am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe with an intraframe codec like ProRes or a DNx you could, but the 4k H.264/5 long-GOP codec stuff is a right bis-tard on most gear for one track.

I think maybe that's a bit of a stretch.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil, 

Thanks for the reply. As long as its not a fault of my Mac I guess that it is what it is!  (M1 Max, 14 inch, 10 core , 32 core GPU, 64 gigs of Ram.) I was hoping things would have progressed further by now alas. It got the impression from youtube videos people were doing is this sort of thing, but maybe it wasnt mixed footage. 

Is it better to seperate the different kinds of footages to different tracks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naw, it's simply having the H.264/5 long-GOP media there. That stuff is nasty fast for the camera to encode, because they have a special chip made to precisely do the encoding. Your computer doesn't have that specific chip, right? So it has to do the decoding by "software" ... by computations.

Some computer CPUs have various bits built in to do H.264/5 long-GOP decoding/encoding, and fed the 'right' encoded clip, do an amazing job of speed work on that decode or encode. But that same CPU, with a different encoded H.264/5 file, may not do so well.

Yea, that all gets really frustrating. Two steps forward and four back at times. And when you get a new rig that doesn't do something that "seems so basic" compared to an older, in general lesser rig, well ... one naturally gets into a bit of a huff. To be polite about it ... I certainly do!

It's just one of those tons of questions you have to learn how to ask when getting the gear. And still, there's gonna be questions you wished you'd thought of asking.

As noted by others here in various threads, on some rigs you really either need to transcode some of the long-GOP stuff, especially the 4k 10-bit ones, to something like ProRes, Cineform, or DNxHR to get good playback and editing performance. Or at the least, make proxies.

Is it frustrating to still need those "old workaround" with hot new gear? Yea. But as a practical matter, what works ... works ... and one gets on with Life. Sigh.

Neil

(Who gets on with Life but still has underlying ... irritations ... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for taking the time Neil, I really appreciate it. I am begining to wonder if sticking with a mac has been the right choice, having a lot of trouble with this Silicon chip. I am very much a beginner though I have made quite a few music videos for myself wathcing youtube tutorials. 

I just had a little play and changed the editing mode to Sony XDcam Ex 1080 (HQ) and suddenly it playing back much much better, the only issue is that it looks all washed out and of course its now not playing in 4k but maybe I could edit it like this and then switch it back?

Appolgies if I am asking stupid questions!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, there's always ... things. Guaranteed, you know?

For the M1s at this time, there's trouble with many Red and Sony, especially the oxcn format of Sony, while ProRes freaking screams through them. On both Resolve and Premiere, so it's an issue that Apple has to solve.

Looking all washed out is at this point in Premiere an indication that either you shot in HLG or PQ HDR forms on the camera, or for some log-encoded media (especially Sony) Premiere is interpreting log-encoded as to mean HLG/HDR.

For either, go to the clips in the bin. Right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage, set the Override to Rec.709 option.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks again Neil and sorry for the slow reply. I missed the notification. I will give that a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines