Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

media browser doesn't see folders

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the newest version of Premiere Pro, using Windows 10 Pro. I have just started using it, so I don't know much about the programme, but here's the question: Media Browser doesn't show folders, actually it doesn't find any folders located on my desktop. The funnel icon - checked, it is following all the files. The eye icon - set on "file directory". what might be the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you by any chance take a snapshot of your Media Browser (maybe the entire Premiere interface) and a second snapshot of your desktop? Might help narrow down the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, a screenshot would be very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

desktop.jpgadobe.jpg

here are the screenshots, desktop is the one highlited, called "Pulpit". it doesn't see anything there and I haven't detected the problem in other location. interestingly, it does see the folders from destkop in OneDrive folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any media files or folders in the folder labeled Pulpit? Can you take a screenshot of that folder's contents in Windows Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

content.jpg

yes, all the folders have some media files. that's the screenshot for the one called "materiały"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you browse to that folder in the Media Browser it's empty? Can you show a screenshot of that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it happens even before that, it doesn't see any folders in desktop. it shows on the screenshot with premiere, I click on the folder "Pulpit" (highlited one - it's the name for desktop) and try to browse it, but it looks like it's empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you navigate using this dropdown, do the folders populate? Is it ONLY the desktop that shows nothing?

Image 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the "File types displayed" or "Directory viewers" have been altered.

Click on the eye and set it to File Directory".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best is not to put assets or Pr folders on the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this same problem. The fix I found was to create a shortcut for the drive it is not recognizing and putting it into any of the folders it does recognize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've just experience a very similar problem. Seems like the Media Browser in both Premiere and Media Encoder doesn't like to display certain types of folders. The folders that I am having trouble with are folders that have been copied to my local drive from a Google Drive folder. These show up with a custom icon in Windows File Explorer. They don't show up at all in the Media Browser in Premiere or Media Encoder.

A fix that I have found is to set the custom icon back to a default icon in File Explorer.

Right click on the folder

Choose "Properties"

Click on the "Customise" tab

Click on "Change Icon"

Click on "Restore Defaults"

Click on "OK"

The folder should now show up in the Media Browser. You may need to hit "Refresh" in the Media Browser palette menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue with my students who are moving media from SD cards.  To see the folders that contain media either DCIM or Private based on camera brand.  You have to go into the Directroy Viewer in the Media Browser tab and check off the File Directory button then the folders containing the media show up for ingest.  I wish I could change this some how as a default option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Apologies. Sorry about this. I can't disable "File Directory" but I am on macOS today. What kind of cameras are generating these files? 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO MUCH for this information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to add, for any newbies like me, that the Media Browser tab itself can be difficult to find if you're starting a brand new project, but if you import anything random to start with, the tab will appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved my butt today. Thanks! this is the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Was facign exactly the same problem - folders copied from Google Drive weren't visible. 

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol. This still happens - August 2023 latest Pr. Thanks for the icon-changing tip!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this issue when I copied a cloud drive folder to my desktop, Premier couldn't see the folder and yet its Search function told me it had found the file, but couldn't hit OK. 

Solution was to make a new folder next to it and move all the contents over. Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you Ataur Raziq!  That was the problem, it instantly fixed the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines