• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder Crashing my Mac whilst creating proxies

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently in the process of creating proxies for a doco using Premiere's create proxies workflow and once in media encoder it will get about 30 or so clips in before it compeltely crashes my entire computer.

Step by Step: 
- I import MXF footage from FX6
- Select all the footage in Card 1 and 'create proxies' 
- I choose Quicktime ProRes (high bitrate) and begin proxy process
- It opens up Media encoder and begins creating proxies without issue and will randomly drop out no matter which proxy settings I choose

I have used this workflow multiple times for other cameras and never had an issue. Does anyone know if this is an update issue? an MXF issue? Or my computer? How do I fix this? 

Specs: 
iMac Pro (2017)
Processor: 3.2 GHz 8-Core INtel Xeon W
Memory: 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GG

Media Encoder v22.5
Premiere Pro v22.5

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
71 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @lazylizzie  and @Michael Grenadier  for the replies. It's nice to know I'm not alone and my 2017 MacBook Pro isn't yet obsolete. However this issue is hurting my workflow and turnaround and I'm not sure I feel comfortable changing the file extension on my clients's original raw doc footage. Interesting that made a difference on your end. 

Is anyone from Adobe able to weigh in? @Kevin-Monahan @Ishan Y 

Is this a bug? 
thanks everyone for your help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe I wasn't clear, I recommended duplicating the camera original files before changing the extension...

at least try a file or 2 and see if things are working better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

The only solution I could find at the time of originally posting this was to create my proxies in Davinci and then 'attach proxies' in Premiere. It is not ideal, but it was the only way I could get through the volume of rushes quickly without having to start new batches every couple of hours that it crashed. 

I ran a few tests on individual clips before doing a big batch to make sure they attached correctly and were the same aspect ratio etc. 

Hope this helps for now! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the changes in the Pr2023 version, which "dropped" this morning ... first day of MAX of course ... the process for proxies CM is improved.

Make sure you create a NEW project in 2023, then in that new project, go to the MediaBrowser.

Navigate to the 2022 project, click it, then "Import" or "Ingest" the contents of that project into the new 2023 project.

You get the cleanest migration AND the 2022 file is untouched, so you can continue with that if there are problems with the 2023 project file.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Premiere/AME (v23) doesn't crash when creating proxies from FX6 footage for me, so it would seem the issue has been fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this a lot right now. I'm going to revert back to creating proxies in the camera relinking them in the old fashion way until this is sorted out. Every time Adobe update any apps in CC I get the horrors - what next I'm thinking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Has this issue been resolved because I am having the same problem and it is damn infuriating for a project with 1000s of clips? The remote support has been not helpful at all--looked at permissions, reinstalled, launched AME from terminal etc.

I am on a iMac 2019 with 24 GB RAM so the specs aren't an issue. And yes the AME, Premiere Pro, and the OS all are updated. I am thinking of stopping my subscription and shifting to Resolve if this doesn't get sorted! Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your source properties? Are they mxf files shot on a sony camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, XAVC-I footage in MXF, shot on Sony FX6. It is on an external HDD. Tried different hard drives, clearing cache. I have the crash dump files but not allowed to upload them here. I have a case ticket that's been open for a few days and 3 remote attempts at fixing this with no solution in sight...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the color space to rec 709?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven't done that but not sure why it would make the queue crash randomly. It happens after 30 or so mins of transcoding. The footage is both in log and rec709 space depending on the lighting conditions...Appreciate any suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well I was having a somewhat similar problem and going in to premiere and
selecting the clips and right click and choose modify: interpret and reset
the color space for log clips to rec709. I had a few clips that changing
the color space didn't help and I changed the extension from .mxf to .mpg
(thanks Ann) and that did the trick...

--
Michael Grenadier
917-362-3396
*www.michaelgrenadier.com <>*
mgrenadier@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same issue on FX9 and FX6 footage, Adobe need to fix this, proxies are essential right now. This has compeletely messed up my projects, having half the footage without proxies and really slowed me down. Need to learn how to use Da Vinci!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you check the color space of the clips as described in my previous post?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are all set to Rec.7o9 colour space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@garysayers are you running the latest version of Premiere Pro? After I upgraded to 2023 I didn't have any further issues. If you haven't already then I'd do a test but starting a fresh project in the latest version and trying make proxies from there. I'm using macs, both intel and silicon no longer have the issue with Premiere Pro 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same problem. Has Adobe done ANYTHING on this? @ishany This has been an issue for almost a YEAR. 

FX6 footage making proxies ProRes Medium Resolution Proxies. 

IMAC Pro 2017

3 Ghz 10-core Intel Xeon W

Memory 128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Running Big Sur 11.7.6

I don't know if this is a workaround, but at the moment I'm holding a seance for the earth to open up and swallow all of adobe's developers. Let me know if it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest Prem Pro - 2023.2 (build 69) and ME - 23.1 (build 81).

Now, instead of crashing out it hangs around 50 clips proxied - 2017 mbpro...crashes with Panasonic rushes too. This is unbelievably annoying as it used to whizz through proxies - I can roll back as i share projects with many editors - any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

revmilo, you can generate the proxies using the earlier version of Premiere that was working to generate your proxies and then simply connect them in the current version...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea - but not a sustainable solution. Eventually I will have to have redundant ME and Pr apps from yonks ago to work with current versions - i find havig a few versions causes issues with other stuff - as well as space. How about Adobe allow proxies to be made with fewer audio tracks? Does the change of file extension really work? Issue with thta is ding it for all the versiions in archive, and other editors....rather frustrating. Will i have to do this for the foreseeable?

Thanks for yur help - any other options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gotta say I've got multiple versions of Premiere, etc on various systems without any issues.    They really don't take up that much drive space...  What issues are you experiencing?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ME freezes then crashes after around 50 proxies of MXF XAVC-I 4K footage

I have updated to PP 23.4 and the latest ME. My machine is an iMac late 2015 i7....I think the machine just gets cranky or maybe its the media cahe files? it seems to get slower after several proxies and then crashes. Once you re-open PP and ME again it is quicker only to slow again. I have hundreds of proxies to make (if i dont i cant edit smoothly) just doing 30-50 at a time is not an option as i need it to do these while i sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I belive its the 8chnl Sony FX6 footage that is the issue with proxies - you cant link to proxies with different audiuo chnls - daft thiong is - I only use 2 - maybbe 4 max!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same problem here — computer crashes every time after a certain number of proxy exports, I think it's averaging 50-100 before crashing. It's quite cumbersome and frustrating.

I tried leaving the windows open and running a fan directly on the back of the computer to keep it cool. I also tried generating the proxies in a blank new Premiere project rather than the project file (which was updated from Premiere 2022). Still no luck. Will probably try Davinci next, but want to add to the chorus here because this is a significant blow to my workflow with Adobe products.

Working with 4K footage from the Canon C500, Sony FX9, and DJI Mavic 2 Pro. The problem occurs for all 3 types of footage.

2017 iMac Pro, macOS 11.7.2

Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB

Premiere 23.4.0

Media Encoder 23.4.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dakin30017592v3kg, how much RAM do you have on your computer?  And it sounds as though your computer is running hot.     There are a few ways to see how hot your mac's running...  you can google this.  If that's the case, it may be a mac problem rather than an adobe issue...  Are you running any other apps at the same time?  You might also create a new mac user account with administrator privileges and see if that helps.  

Votes

Translate

Translate