• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

memory leak / system run out of application memory.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same memory leak issue across two operating systems. when i try to open the project, the system eventually hangs, displays a 'your system has run out of application memory' os messsage, and i am asked to force quit and then usually must restart. this is happening in monterey and ventura. and two Premiere versions, 22 and 23. all OS updates are current. i have been speaking with apple and they have bounced this issue back to Adobe. i have recordedd and uploaded a video of problem occuring . i have also researched this on these forums, i see that people are usually asked to screenshot their memory preferences, those are below. also i should add this happening on a full clean install / erase of both operating systems - i tried a clean install of monterey and a clean install of ventura and both are happening. with nothing else but premiere installed (22 and/or 23). i am running a 2022 Mac Studio M1 w 64GB memory. i have a 2TB hard drive and 622GB are currently free/available. i need to edit long form projects for television on a regular basis and if this is going to happen i need to completelly bail from the world of Adobe and go to Avid. so any help is going to be really appreciated. 

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 7.41.25 AM.png

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, i have tried deleting the media cache and render files multiple times. thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in addition, this project file opens on a different computer , a 2019 macbook, just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump. can adobe help me with this issue or no? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

Sorry. It's a good sign that the project opens on another computer. What are the specs of the other computer?

You said that you deleted the media cache. When you deleted the media cache, did you do so manually (by deleting files in the Library)? If you deleted the media cache via Preferences, choose File > Close All Projects first. Then, you can choose Preferences > Media Cache and delete all media cache (the second option), including the current media cache. Delete these files, too, to be free of that worry.

Is it possible to test with a new project file to see if it behaves similarly?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a troubleshooting step, how does Premiere Pro behave if you start a new project from scratch?  Just try a handful of clips and doing a basic assembly.

If that works as expected, try importing the project that is handing into a new project. 

Another thing to try is to move the file to the Desktop and open it with all of the source media offline and see if Premiere Pro allows you to click around with the media missing.  If this works, copy and paste the a recent Sequence to a new project and save that to the Desktop.  Bring the source media back online, open the new project and reconnect the source media (yes, this will take some patience).  Assumming that this works, save the new project and then open the original project that's on the Desktop and reconnect the source media.  Assuming that works, use save as to put the project file back in the desired location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello - thank you for the help! so yes, i've been able to open and use other premiere projects the whole time, they seem to work. and for the record they are much simpler projects of about 2-3 minutes long. the project i am having trouble with is a half hour video with lots of archival footage from different sources. i am able to export/use the project on a diff computer as i said. at one point i did 'move offline' all the archival footage and stuff that i suspected might be an issue. but i didnt offline the whole project as you suggested. however, the whole time, i have been 'saving as.'' and creating new project files, so i have about 25 project files thru the life of this project, i do that just as a habit , not sure if it changes what your suggesting? in other words i do have a freshly saved project file but i'm not sure  that is the same troubleshooting step/result as what your suggesting. 

to the other comment, yes i deleted the media cache in premiere preferences. 

also, i noticed that some render files in the finder that premiere was making during render were very bloated, 800gb or over 1tb for a 45 minute sequence. i have also been changing the render engine in project settings back and forth and having better luck with 'software rendering.' 

i am wondering also if this has something to do with a sequence being set to something wildly different than the source media thats on it? just because of the crazy render times and file sizes i'm getting. 

anyway i know this is all over the place, but things are acting weird. thanks for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

probably would help us troubleshoot if you tell us your source properties and sequence settings.  Pixel dimensions and codec (also sometimes referred to as compressor) and frame rate are probably the most pertinent specs..

And let us know what effects you've applied.  

One thing that can cause intermittent and unpredictable issues is clips with a variable frame rate.  Material shot on smartphones and screen recordings can have this issue and it's possible some of the archival material might have a variable frame rate.  Here's how to diagnose and fix the problem

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate setting the quality slider in the video panel to maximum
https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try editing ProRes 422 LT or ProRes 422 HQ with Sequence Video Previews set to Custom QuickTime ProRes $22 LT or ProRes 422 HQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines