• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mercury Transmit either does not work or chooses the wrong monitor

Participant ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a frustrating issue with my Mercury Transmit function on Premiere Pro (13.1.2) and After Effects (16.1.1). Every time I open either program after my computer has been shut down, Mercury Transmit is no longer working correctly. It usually does not transmit anything, or sometimes but rarely, it is transmitting to a wrong monitor.

Frustratingly, when I go in to Preferences > Playback in Premiere (or Preferences > Video Preview in AE) and I switch the transmit to the correct (4K) monitor, when I hit OK, it either does not transmit, or transmits to an incorrect 1080 monitor. When going in to the preferences after this error, it shows the wrong monitor check box is checked.

Example in Premiere:

I go in to Preferences > Playback and select my 4K monitor as the monitor I want to transmit to:

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 1.05.32 PM.png

After hitting OK, nothing is transmitting, so when I go back in to my preferences, the wrong monitor is selected:

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 1.07.17 PM.png

My computer recognizes all of the monitors correctly, and I even took advice from another post where I unchecked 'Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use' in Mission Control. That didn't help.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 1.02.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 1.11.54 PM.png

Workarounds that have worked to solve this issues for me in the past are now not working:

• Toggling "Enable Mercury Playback" off, closing preferences, opening again and toggling it back on
  • Switching from a Thunderbolt>HDMI to a HDMI>HDMI
  • Resetting all program preferences (which is an unacceptable solution)
  • Restarting my computer

This is a very time-consuming and infuriating problem. Does anyone have any theories why my computer is acting this way and how I can fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have solved the issue on my computer (did a long test run with Adobe Support).

What did work was to install the latest nvidia Game Ready Driver 430.86 (whql). It was just published a few days ago from this post. I had previously tried many other drivers (Studio Ready, Content Ready, old drivers) but this seemed to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try tonight!

Thanks for the test ands the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but the issue has returned.

Worked like a charm yesterday. Did a reboot and here we go again.

I physically switched the cables on my graphics card. So changing the connections to which the monitors go to and it works again now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I have had some success switching the cables on my Thunderbolt ports. I am using a 2013 Mac Pro (trash can), and it seem like only 3 of the 6 Thunderbolt ports are still working. In my case, it could be part software issue and part hardware issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't had any luck with switching cables or reinstalling drivers. It's too inconsistent to diagnose or feel comfortable with any quick fix.  My workstation isn't exactly setup to be switching everything around only for it to bug out again.  Seriously just need a patch from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Major bug for sure.

Keep having to solve this everytime I boot up.

Adobe, please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted it's an acknowledged bug and we're all waiting for the patch release.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for adobe to fix this update.  I will need to find a better (other NLE) if I can not fix this issue within my studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's frustrating, I know. I also work with Resolve, which is of course built on a model to sell you the software cheap to get you to buy their NOT cheap hardware. Up until now, you could use two monitors with Resolve, BUT .... you can't do full-screen out nor realistically do much to 'shape' your workspaces with that app.

Unless, of course, you spend at least as much on BlackMagic hardware to buy an output card for it.

They do say that the Studio version (paid, yea, got that) will have the ability to send the reference-monitor-out to anything via the GPU ... but that won't be until probably November.

I think we'll have the patch before then. Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying and I know that you like Premiere. I love Première too and it's my first choice. I am a former Avid and Final Cut editor. By cons Resolve Studio 16 costs $ 299 and an Ultra Mini Monitor (expensive hardware) costs $ 200. Everything is cheaper than subscription only to Premiere and the hardware remains yours. In addition, you have the full version of Resolve for the colo ...

Adobe waited a long time before taking so much ground with its NLE and especially because FCP was so popular. It would be cool if this waiting time is not ephemeral due to their inability to react. Just saying!

With friendship!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a tool. It has uses, and as any other tool, problems and limitations.

You want a listing of the shortcomings?  I can certainly give you one ... a rather long list. Which I also have for every other tool I use ... including Resolve.

I have rather a lot more affection for my Tangent Elements panel, actually. Which works in both apps, and several others. But of course, it's more limited in use in Resolve than within the other apps, BM being, well ... BM ... and wanting to get you to buy their panels for their software.

Not that I've anything against BM, it's just the way they roll. I do think I'm going to have a great time with my BM PCC4K, though ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - any idea on when update will be released for this? Super frustrating and causing headaches for the workflow at our production company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They never give expected drop dates.

And yes, it's frustrating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news: I just updated to AE 16.1.2 Build 55 and Mercury Transmit finally works again. There was no update available for PP, and, sure enough, Mercury Transmit still doesn't work in PP.

Hopefully this means the next PP update will also have the Mercury Transmit fix in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We have a newer version of Premiere Pro (13.1.3) available for download. Please let us know if it's working properly in the newer version.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it still does not work properly for me. Now when I enable Mercury Transmit, regardless of which display I select, a borderless video window (I guess the Mercury Transmit's video feed) opens in the same display that has the PP primary project window.

OSX 10.14.3

Mac Pro (late 2013)

12-core

64GB ram

AMD FirePro D300 x 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working again. I'm on Windows 10, GTX 1080 Ti and have the latest drivers installed.

Thanks for the fix. Took some time, caused huge headaches, lost some money, but here we are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that turning off Transmit and then back on again seems to kick it into action. You have to move the playhead after turning it back on for it to start transmitting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no updates on this problem? I just had a presentation last week, and the transmit didnt work... Had to apologize to my clients...

Time to go to resolve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can disable VGA on board in the mother board!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the motherboard bios and turn them off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is there for like a decade, and as of May 2021, still unfixed, which I find absolutely unbelievable. What I've found that when you have "Displays have separate Spaces" UNchecked, it's less probable it will happen. 

Then again, with this setting, it's Final Cut Pro X that starts to have the same issue. As I need both AE (where the same bug happens too) and FCPX open at the same time, I just can't get fullscreen preview on secondary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if your issue is the same, but this thread solved it for me: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/video-preview-mercury-transit-not-working-i...

I'm on a Mac and usually use the green '+' button in the After Effects menu bar to maximize the main AE window. That seems to be enough to cause Murcury Transmit to not work properly. If I drag the side of the main window away from the edge of the screen that's closest to the preview monitor, Mercury Transmit will work correctly.  I guess if any part of the main screen overlaps the preview monitor, Mercury Transmit won't work. It's stupid that the maximize window command doesn't take that into account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late 2023 and this was the fix for me, maximizing any screens seems to distupt Mercury Transmit, also had to stop using multiple desktops (spaces on mac) def does not like that. On a PC with 4 4k monitors, seems to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere's monitor "practices" is something many of us have complained about. It doesn't recognize monitors as specific monitors except for Transmit Out, which does.

And if you create panel groups like I do on second & third monitors, you're right ... if one pixel of the edge of a panel group on Monitor 2 goes over onto monitor 1 or 3, Premiere gets cranky.

Hasn't been fixed over how many years now. @WesHowellPPro  ... just to bring this back to your attention ... could we please get an updated monitor recognition behavior in PrPro? Pretty please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines