Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merged clips trigger crash Premiere 2022

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Premiere whizzes 

I am cutting video and sound clips that had to be manually synched.

After lining them up, I have been merging the video and audio in my timeline so I can file the merged clips into bins in my project folder.

When I first started doing this, I had a problem with markers left on the timeline (merging function was greyed out) but I solved that by deleting the markers.

HOWEVER - when I now click on the newly merged clips in the project folder, the system immediately freezes. I can't edit or create any new merged files.

Also, markers keep reappearing in my timeline even though I have deleted them multiple times, saved the project, quit, restarted, cleared cache and duplicated the project. 

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I am totally stuck on this one... 

Thank you! 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try doing this and then re-opening the project.

To reset preferences and plug-in cache at the same time, hold down Shift-Alt (Windows) or Shift-Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting. Release the Shift-Alt keys or Shift-Option key when the splash screen appears.

Hope that it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rob

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions... super grateful and will give it a go! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The prefs reset or uninstall/reinstall would be the thing I'd be trying as well.  

I also just like to throw out that while Merge Clips can be convenient inside of Premiere if you are planning on doing any kind of shared workflow later on, including sending mixes to an audio engineer, etc., then Merge Clips can put you in a really bad spot. It's personally a habit I would be wary to develop if you ever plan to find yourself in those situations. As long as you are the only one working on it and you don't plan on leaving Premiere then it can be okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Really grateful and will take on that advice...! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Phillip - I asked Neil this below, but would love to hear your thoughts on the matter! In a professional context - what is considered best practice for the edit when you have video and audio files that have been synched manually? Do you use the pancake timeline method to cut...? Or is the full replacement more common so that you can sort the footage into bins as you would with software synchronised clips? I assume the replacement files will retain the various audio channels (radio mics and boom)... Any input on this or pointers to existing posts/videos would be hugely appreciated! I'd really like to get this right as the project will definitely go to post sound and grade... Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is going to vary from editor to editor. For me I mostly edit in the sequence and I'm usually using ripple editing methods for my clips with sync sound, so I honestly don't even end up needing the clips linked in the timeline. What would be nice is a native way to batch link media in a sequence, but if I really want to link them I'll use a macro to quickly go through the timeline and get everything linked. I don't personally work out of bins or use three point editing after I do the timeline syncing, so yes, it's more likely that I'd be using some version of a pancake timeline to drop sync'd clips from one timeline to another, which you can set up to behave basically like three-point editing by linking the source monitor to a timeline.

Ultimately you want all the raw production audio sitting in the sequence that's going to go to post audio, unless maybe you are just sending stems. Similar with the video, you want the source video available if you're sending an XML to a colorist. Merge clips I'm pretty sure messes up both of those scenarios. (Also: interpret footage for slowmo is in a similar boat - it does not play nicely with shared workflows, proxy workflows, etc. Another thing that's a habit worth avoiding in my opinion.)  

Hope this is helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Phillip ... "merged clips' can have all sorts of unpleasant results and limitations down the road, especially if it's a project going out to audio/Fx/color work. REALLY bad then.

The 'multi-cam' process is typically much better to use for 'merging' media. Or after you match audio/video, use the "link" option from the right-click menu in the sequence. Or ... do a full render/replace to a good high-Q format/codec like Cineform, ProRes, or DNx. The latter of course works very well with the 'smart previews' workflows.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil 

Thank you so much for taking the time to add those alternatives to the merge. I am so grateful and will do the link option. This community is so amazing...! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have time, may I ask - in a professional context - what is considered best practice for the edit when you have video and audio files that have been synched manually? Do you use the pancake timeline method to cut...? Or is the full replacement more common so that you can sort the footage into bins as you would with software synchronised clips? I assume the replacement files will retain the various audio channels (radio mics and boom)... Any input on this or pointers to existing posts/videos would be hugely appreciated! I'd really like to get this right as the project will definitely go to post sound and grade... Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide detailed specs of your system, including your storage configuration as well as your OS and version of Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines