• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microphone activated when Premiere is running

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe redirects me to forums as the only means to get support, I'll post this here - even though it requires a response from Adobe.

I've recently started using a software that notifies me once the camera or microphone on my laptop become activated, since I am concerned with how privacy is handled by software companies. I was very surprised to understand that the mere fact of starting Adobe Premiere Pro up activates my microphone immediately and continuously. This means the software has access to the mic audio *simply by running*.

Assuming that this feature is intended so that the user can record audio directly into Premiere, it should only become active once the recording process is actually starting. This is self evident to me.

Skype, for example, activates the microphone only when a call is effectively established (not even when it is ringing), which is how it should be. Adobe is not taking my right to privacy seriously and I request an answer on why this happens and an urgent fix.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware... change Default Input to No Input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 15.23.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd.

I'm afraid the only other advice I can think to offer is not to run Premiere Pro on a Laptop.  The ideal starting point for editing is multiple internal hard drives and a 24" 1080p screen, which no Laptop in the world offers.

Build your own Windows machine.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your helpfulness, Jim. I do disagree with your "starting point" statement (peripherals take care of everything you mentioned), and Adobe can't assume that people are editing on a desktop.

I'll keep waiting for Adobe's answer on this. Is there a way to tag staff?

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that Premiere is using the microphone input as the Master Clock?

Master Clock 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing it to output as master clock doesn't make the mic become disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this post is a couple of years old now but changing my Default Input to No Input like this actually works on a laptop now (Premiere Pro 2020). Just putting it out there in case anyone else has an issue with this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ye the issue was also fixed for me with adobe permere pro 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just put Sophos anti-virus on my Mac. Got note that PP is using the mic (and Lightroom). If I turn "Audio input = none" … nothing changes. I still get the message that Adobe is STILL using my mic. As soon as I have the anti-virus force the mic to "off" … PP freezes and crashes. So… it's either spyware … or no PP? Something's odd. Either anti-virus has it wrong, or "using mic" is not what I think" or I just don't know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue. Still no answer from Adobe...spyware? I think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not spyware. Simply that the engineers set it to attach to the microphone on launch, to make sure it's "ready" at any time. Engineers have their own ways of thinking ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF it's not spyware, why can't I even hear premiere's audio when I turn off my "microphone access for this device" in windows settings? forcing users to have their microphone on for such basic functionality of the program is not only unfair and doesn't make sense, but it's also compromising my privacy by forcing me to keep the microphone access on for no apparent reason.

I personally can't think of a single reason for this, other than spyware. I am being forced to give microphone access to gain basic, unrelated, functionality that should come as a given

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions work to give the app that connection when it needs it. That's all.

There are several MILLION users of Premiere Pro on a daily basis. You think they have someone listening in to everyone? Wow ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop is informing me that Adobe Media Encoder is using my microphone, AND IT'S NOT EVEN RUNNING! WTF, adobe?! Why is Media Encoder using my microphone?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I highly doubt it is actually using your mic. It would have permission to use it, which of course isn't the same thing. And with any experience of computer apps, between the handshaking between the OS and the various apps & subsystems, something that was listed as 'currently using' a computer resource may no longer be using it, but ... the link showing it as such wasn't officially terminated.

Which is very common.

And with several million daily users, they have no interest whatever in anything you say heard by that mic. And no use for it either. No way to 'capture' even, nor transmit the signal. A big ... nothing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines