• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microphone audio not being picked up for voiceover

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this with three different mics (blue yeti, apple headphones, and one other I forget the name of), and they all had the same result.

Premiere recognizes the microphone, and I can select it in audio hardware. In voiceover settings the mic also appears, and I can select it. However, when I actually record the voice over it leaves me with an audio track that is just completely silent. It counts down and says "recording", but just doesn't pick up any audio from the microphone. In other adobe softwares (audition), everything works just fine.

Please help, this is driving me mad and is incredibly discouraging.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Sorry I forgot to resolve this post a few months ago when I got it all sorted out. The issue is actually quite embarassing - On my MacBook I had not granted permission to Premiere Pro to use the microphone. I discovered this when I updated to 2019, and the very first thing that greeted me upon opening Premiere was "Permission to access microphone?" After that message popped up I went into my settings to check, and sure enough, the little box next to Premiere 2018 was unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try recording the voiceover separately in Audition (in the background) and then saving the track for import/timing into Premiere? I know this doesn't solve the hardware issue but it might at least get you a timed voiceover file you could fairly easily drop in to where it belongs on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I've been doing but it's a huge pain in the butt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honnest I never had any isues with voiceover recording. If you set your Your mic as input and if Premiere see your input, and if your mic is not muted on operating system/drivers side - everything should work.
But if you already did all of that and it is not recording try to set and open new Premiere Pro project and check if PPro recording there - if yes ... just go to your old project Copy all of your footage (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) open your new project and paste it (Ctrl+V) there and then record your voiceover.
I know that way seems silly but sometimes that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've unfortunately tried it in about 5 different projects and it works in none of them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. So ... did you and if not please try:
- use mic in skype, or any other software that can listen and record audio f. eg. free audio editor Audacity or free live studio called OBS Studio?
and could you hear and record audio in those or not.
That will tell us if your audio issue lay in PPro or your operating system/audio drivers or your mic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been in contact (a couple of months ago) with Adobe helpdesk about this but they couldn't find out why the problem occur in PP 2019 and what to do about it. They just state "I'ts a bug..." . For me the voice over works in PP 2018 (I use an external sound card) so maybe its an idea to use the older version, but its not possible (as far as I know) to create av film in PP 2019, and then jump to 2018 and do voice over, and then jump back to 2019.

I use Audition for Voice over and then import the file into PP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I forgot to resolve this post a few months ago when I got it all sorted out. The issue is actually quite embarassing - On my MacBook I had not granted permission to Premiere Pro to use the microphone. I discovered this when I updated to 2019, and the very first thing that greeted me upon opening Premiere was "Permission to access microphone?" After that message popped up I went into my settings to check, and sure enough, the little box next to Premiere 2018 was unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am having the same issue. How do I grant permission to access the microphone without an update? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 9.41.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-10 at 9.37.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows and I think I gave it permission, but I still can't get it to record the audio.

P.S. Yes my Mic does work tried it with 3 other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness!  I had the same issue and your tip solved my issue.

This ought to be included in the tutorial for Premier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow this really helped the same thing happened, I looked at several videos on youtube and no one had the answer, But as soon as I saw "permission" I instantly knew that was the problem because I had to reinstall the premiere because it crashed and I gave the old one permission but no the new one I installed. LIFE SAVER! thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for telling how you solved this issue. I had the same problem and watched like 100 tutorials and nothing helped. In the end, it was my Mac settings and it was super easy. You are great! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue - it was because I hadn't granted Adobe permission to use the Microphone on my Mac Settings! Thought I was going mad. Thanks for help solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this post! I had the same issue with the same solution ! lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines