• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mini DV Capture MacBook Pro M1?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to believe it, but yes, I need to capture Mini DV from a Canon XHA1. I'm trying to capture HDV w/ audio at 60i. This is a tape capture and I want to use the old Log and Capture feature. 

I've read that you can capture via Premiere if you run Premiere in ROSETTA. The M1 / Apple Silicone version of Premiere doesn't even have a capture option. 

Running Premiere 2022 or 2023 in Rosetta will show you the Capture menu option, but it won't connect to your device (the camera) - what's odd is that the transport controls (forward/back/play/pause) on the computer will control the camera, but the actual image and sound doesn't show and you can't capture. 

iMovie lets you capture but the settings are... trash. 

Quicktime lets you capture but the settings are... also trash. 

Final Cut Pro X supposedly lets you capture with more configurations, but I don't want to drop $300 to log and capture Mini-DV tapes lol. 

Any ideas here? Beyond "buy a BMD capture device"... 

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to capture even though you don't see an image? Are you able to? In my old days of capturing sometimes there would be no image or sound during the capture process but the capture would still come in as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you watch it on the camera as you capture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not able to Capture even though I have transport controls. I can see things on the camera, but black screen on the computer. 

Capture does work in iMovie and FCPX on M1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FWiW - I captured everything in FCPX, then I confirmed frame rate to deal with dropped frames in AME. Then brought the files into Premiere for the edit. Mission accomplished. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines