Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mini DV Workflow

New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been tasked with working on a documentary that was shot in 2006 on mini DV. I'm trying to figure out the best solution to log, digitize and edit in low res. When finished I'll need to upres. I'll be working on the latest Imac. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently edited some old dv footage.

Captured the lot to hdd.

Upscaled with Topaz

I left the footage 4:3 and put this in a 720p frame prores.

Dropped it in the timeline and edited away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll need the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter, attached to the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire800 adapter to patch from the current iMac to the Mini DV connector on your deck.

I am not in front of my M1 at the moment, but I am pretty sure that you’ll have to run Premiere Pro using Rosetta for the Capture option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, what Warren says...  It's not simple, but it does work.    One heads up, you'll need to be watching the digitize/capture process.  if you have a control track break (a section of tape without any signal between shots), the capture will usually stop.  Always been that way with miniDV if it wasn't shot properly unless of course you're running your signal thru a tbc before capture.    Once got into a bit of a wrangle with a dp cause if he checked tape he would always let the camera run a bit after the end of the shot before starting to shoot again.  I pointed out there was a button on the camera to park at the last frame of the video so there was continuous control track.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I tried to do an import test in Premiere only to find out there is no support for DV anymore, only HDV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Premiere Pro does not work you can use iMovie as seen in the video link below. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
And always test your complete workflow before spending hours capturing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines