• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Provide Replacements for Missing Video Filters: RGB Curves, Color Balance (RGB)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have been trying to load a project and I keep getting an error pop-up saying:

Video Filter missing: RGB Curves
Video Filter missing: Color Balance (RGB)

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue on a M1 Pro Macbook? 

Idea No status
TOPICS
Color

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If those were the ones in the "Obsolete" folder before, they are not available on the M1.

As an 'obsolete' effect, they notified us several versions back they were not going to update the ancient code for them. And M1's take a different code than 'normal' old-style Macs. Hence ... none of the 'obsolete' effects are or will be available on an M1.

There are a range of very good curves types in the Lumetri effect. And of course, color balancing within the Lumetri panel is pretty slick. That's what you need to use now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is why I can't stand adobe. Getting rid of one of the most basic stand alone effects and replacing it with one that you have to twirl down various menus to get to, and also now can't keyframe? That's ridiculous and an absurd waste of time. And then to blame it on something as implausible as M1 mac architecture? Ok, so curves in After effects are apparently entirely different than curves in premiere? Because in AE the effect is unchanged. 

Lumetri is a great addition to premiere, but damn Adobe has a way of introducing the most infuriating back-steps with every minor improvement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then to blame it on something as implausible as M1 mac architecture?

The code for M1 is different than the code for the 'standard' Mac OS, so yes, they'd have had to write new code for it. I don't understand the 'implausibility' of that.

I've never been able to keyframe the old RGB Curves ... how did you do that?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

implausible as an excuse for releasing a new version of premiere without a basic, standard image editing effect. If they have to write new code for it...then write new code. It's just not acceptable for software I'm paying for and have to rely on every day. And to your other point, maybe Premiere wasn't able to keyframe curves before. After Effects has always been able to, which is still just as frustrating, just in a different way. Premiere, Photoshop and AE all have an enormous amount of crossover with their tools but instead of bothering to streamline them, every program has idosyncracies that make no sense and add up to a bad experience when going between them. If AE can keyframe curves, then Premiere should be able to keyframe curves. Tired of hearing all the excuses. "Well AE is a compositor and Premiere is really just an editor etc." The logic is never consistent other than to serve as a convenient excuse for lazy development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opinions are welcome. Frustrations, especially so. Please feel free to gripe about things, I certainly do!

But that bit about the RGB Curves as a separate effect ... that ain't opinion, it's simple reality. They'd have had to create new code for an old, poorly written effect ... which wasn't going to happen. And I've no reason why they should have done so.

Largely because the RGB curves in the Lumetri panel are (by colorist testing I've seen) better math than the old single effect ... so to me, the wise person would use the better, more accurate tool.

Is it a pain when the things we've been used to using dismappear? Oh, heck yes. (I'll leave out SpeedGrade at this point for brevity.)

And there are many improvements that could be done with Lumetri. Like maybe, a complete grading app ... ah, oops ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i've been editing with RGB Curves too all the way since 2012, so literally any project i've ever made is now incomparable on M1, and opening premiere in (intel) mode runs suuuuper slow / laggy but it's what i have to do just to access these amazing but 'obsolete' effects.

Yes, i like lumetri, but it's by no means 'quick'! For a first grade and even a final, RGB Curves where amazing because they where super quick and responsive, with the colour being updated immediately in the viewer, and you could layers 6+ layers of rgb curves in an adjustment layer without even hitting the ram/cpu, whereas lumetri slows everything down as soon as you layer it up and even on its own the curves feel slow and unresponsive, and i don't get the same feel from the curves colour wise as i do from the rgb filter. Please bring it back to M1, it's a simple little filter i'm sure you guys can re write it but even better, i have the beleif! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With most new updates it feels like Adobe is very scared of tools for actual professional work. Lumetri is color grading hell because most of it's operators aren't actually 32bit and also apply different math in one direction vs the other. It's curves for example don't allow values above 1.0 where the separate RGB Curves were actually unclamped. Lumetri is primarily designed for dummies with all sorts of limiters on it's controls designed in effort to prevent the image from looking bad. I proposed a proper Lumetri mode a while ago we can only hope they'll implement something like that. But next to it we also need separate tools to make the load of the grade 10x lighter when all we want is a few simple math operators. Stacking 5 lumetris on 4/5K footage already hits GPU limits, nearing crashes and less than 1fps playback whilst in Resolve I can have 30 nodes and play realtime.

We need new RGBCurves(with 32b clip options), LiftGammaGain+Offset 4way wheels, Exposure effect with simply a gain/multiply and an offset slider similar to AE but the offset slider should be 10x less sensitive, Versus curves from lumetri, all as standalone effects. And I could come up with ton more tools but those basic ones would already be a huge leap forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

completely agree with all of this 👌🏼 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some good suggestions there, thanks for posting!

And, I've been pushing literally from Day 1 of Lumetri ... as have Jarle Leirpoll, Averdahl, so many others ... to get the blasted 'limits' of the thing at least put on a toggle. So we can say "Hey, I really DO want to push my data there!"

And @Fergus H  @Francis-Crossman @WesHowellPPro  have all heard me whine whine whine about that! I do want them to read your post above this one.

One correction though  ... actually, all of Lumetri is 32-bit float. Period. None of the controls are separate effects having different 'levels' of bit to them.

I've not had any issues with the RGB Curves, it's actually the one tool that does the best with any HLG actual speculars. You are correct that most of their curves panels are WAY too frickin' sensitive, making it difficult to to fiddly small adjustments. That is a ROYAL PAIN. And yes, I'm shouting about that, again!

But the odd way that the Basic Tab "Exposure" works ... from any particular setting, going DOWN is always  straight line as if grabbing the end white point of the RGB curve. Opposite to the "Up" action where it's like you're doing a 'gamma' raise, but with a pivot control set from a point about 90IRE on a Rec.709 scale ... that's ... weird.

Now, I do find for normalizing log media, that using a control panel like my Elements, with the Basic tab mapped to my wheels ... the Exposure played against the Contrast does a pretty fast and nifty job of the work. Contrast sets the 'mid point' that the image is widened out from, Exposure sets the upper end. Actually pretty slick.

But still, compared to SpeedGrade's 9-way wheels controls, full pivots on everything ... this is slow and limited.

And doing targeted work in Lumetri is possible. But ... you gotta know exactly how to do it, and it sure ain't obvious!

Yea, it needs a major rebuild.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One correction though  ... actually, all of Lumetri is 32-bit float. Period. None of the controls are separate effects having different 'levels' of bit to them.

Sorry, I should clarify, yes the plugin itself is just 32bit. But the operators of which you'd expect them to 'behave as intended' clip in 0-1 range making the math useless in 32bit workflows. Working with linear data is impossible. And you need to be very careful stacking 2 or more lumetris on top of eachother because you can easily create a totally out of whack curve with hard kinks.

If anyone reading this is interested in upvoting that improved Lumetri idea here it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the truly ... intriguing ... things about Lumetri, is with some controls you can push values to right about 100 IRE, but it doesn't actually clip the data. It looks like it, but you can, in a subsequent Lumetri, or later tab in that one, pull the stuff back down intact.

But some controls do push to clip. And that difference is odd to me. One of many things ... unfortunately. As this will mangle you if you get caught up in it.

And with no pivot controls, among other things ... it's hard to really define the behavior again unless you really know how to get it to do so. Not ideal in any means.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem for Premiere, if you really need those effects (maybe because you did a complex color correction on PC and need to open the project on MAC M1, what I did) - might work for After Effects, too.
-> go to the Creative Cloud App and in All Applications search for After Effects or Premiere (your Version, tried on AE v22.3)
-> click the three dots
-> Open (Intel)
This will open  Premiere / After Effects in the Intel compatible mode, and the effects are there.

So for some reason, a simple effects like RGB Curves is not compatible with M1??
Always a new suprise, when changing between PC and Mac with the same project on the go with M1 Macbook.

Hope that helped somebody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi,

just adding incase it is helpful for particular situations. That for a mac, if you need to access the footage/project with the obsolete RGB curves etc on it, you can: go to the premiere pro application in your applications folder - ctrl click on it- get info- then check the box which says open in rosetta - open premiere pro using rosetta- open your project and the effects will be there. 
Premiere runs really slowly for me in rosetta, but I finished the edit out of rosetta and went into Rosetta to access the colour grading I had done previously to export. 

Votes

Translate

Translate