Mobile video editing: MAC or PC, around 3 000 - 4 000 USD to spend on hardware. Apple or not?

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Long time user of both PC and Mac, currently enjoy editing on a
Asus Zenbook pro with i7-8750H, 16GB ram, GTX 1050ti, win10

and a 2017 iMac 27" 5k i5-7600, 40 GB ram, 580 8 GB.

Especially 4K footage is becoming harder to handle once the project grows to a certain size, so I am looking for alternatives. I like the power and value for money that a PC offers, but I wonder if a Macbook Pro wouldn't be better whith the current iMac.

Included in my budget of about 3-4k USD is storage, extra display, and misc parts. Realistically I am therefore comparing these:

Macbook Pro 16" M1 Pro 10 CPU cores 16 GPU cores with 16" screen,  16 GB ram, 1 TB SSD

PC laptop with 16-17" screen, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 HX, GTX 3080, 32 GB ram, 1-2 TB SSD

With regards to performance, would I notice any difference? Most projects are up to 10 minutes long, but they can include a bit of after-effects clips which do bog down my current workflow with some pauses.

I have a background in electrical engineering, programming and IT - so I am not usual artsy mac user, but I do really enjoy the quality of the work I've done on the current iMac.

What would you choose, and why?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved to the Video Hardware forum.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines