• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move multiple clips at once

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often have to move multiple layers of clips or still images and keep their position relative to each other. In AE and in PS I can select multiple layers and drag their position around freely, but in Premiere Pro, I can only drag one layer at a time.  Bouncing to AE is not a solution for me because everything I work with needs to be timed with multiple layers of audio at all times.  Nesting is not a solution for me because I need to be able to adjust each layer independently as well.  This is a feature I would use (and did use in FCP) dozens of times every day!  I really need this.  Any chance it's coming in a future update? 

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
78 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select as many clips on as many tracks as you want, and they will move as one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Track Selection Tool

In CC7 it selects multiple layers at once. For one layer hold down shift.

CC14 its a two way street.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean move the tracks in the timeline, I mean move the position of the images in the Program window.  When you select Position in the Effects Controls panel, you are given a wireframe around the image/footage of that item in the Program window.  From there you can drag that image around to the position you want it.  I need to be able to select multiple layers (for me, often multiple image files or photoshop files with alpha channels) and reposition them in the Program window simultaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh.

That, you can't do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you can't, but I REALLY need to!  Every other Adobe product has this feature.  And it was incredibly helpful in FCP, to the point where my current workflow all but requires it.  You think there is any chance it could be in an upcoming update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've no idea what Adobe's future plans are.  You can always request it, though.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a way of achieving that.

Create a sequence (as if its a AEFX Comp) and Nest it in the edit sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nesting is sometimes useful, but most if the time for me it's just not practical.  Blocking and scale becomes locked and any changes you wish to make to any of the layers has to be made from inside the new comp.  When you are making a lot of changes and every has to be timed with multiple layers of audio that are also not locked, it just doesn't work at all.  I have tried every tool I can find in Premiere and there really is no sufficient substitute. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blocking and scale becomes locked and any changes you wish to make to any of the layers has to be made from inside the new comp.

You can "open up" the nested sequence in the edit sequence  by clicking on the Nest Icon in the timeline.

The nest just serves as the method to mass manipulate motions,cale etc as you requested.  Basically the same as AEFX where one selects all the layers in the comp to do the same. 

Seems that if neither will be practical for you ...you need a new "technology".  Try Smoke maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have MANY reasons why nested sequences do not work as a solution for me.  I can't explain it all here, but I can tell you, I have used this feature as part of my workflow in FCP for over ten years creating content for broadcast television and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from it.  Other than this one thing, our transition to Premiere Pro CC has been pretty smooth. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably my biggest frustration about Premiere Pro after being able to easily select then move/resize multiple clips in the frame in FCP7. As soon as you select two or more clips in Premiere Pro, the motion and opacity controls disappear and get replaced with the unhelpful "multiple clips selected" message.

I still keep hoping I'm missing something obvious that will let me do this simple task!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do one clip, copy, select all others, rightclick Paste Attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that works if you want everything positioned in the same place but unfortunately doesn't help if you want to change the scale or position of multiple clips while keeping their relative positions within the frame as the original post mentioned. Thanks though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that Adobe would incorporate this the FCP did. I do a lot of basic compositing with graphics and I need to move multiple layers around.

That said, is there a way in Premiere to not have to always click on the motion button to be able to move objects in the program window, in other word as default setting? Having to take that extra step with each object is a bit of a bother.

And one more thing, I could not find a way to lock either horizontal or vertical axis when moving objects. In other programs if you hold shift it will lock one axis and you can confidently move along the other... IS there a way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear someone else would like Adobe to incorporate this idea. I've submitted a feature request.

I'm not at the computer right now but I believe you can double click on the objects in the programme window instead of clicking the motion button to then be able to drag it around, only one object at a time though, if that's what you mean? It took me a while to realise that myself as I think in FCP7 we used to be able to select objects much easier.

I second the holding shift to lock the horizontal/vertical axis idea! I don't know why it's not implemented in Premiere when it is in all other Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Squidbillies,

I have MANY reasons why nested sequences do not work as a solution for me.  I can't explain it all here, but I can tell you, I have used this feature as part of my workflow in FCP for over ten years creating content for broadcast television and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from it.  Other than this one thing, our transition to Premiere Pro CC has been pretty smooth.

If this is the only thing eating you, that's not too bad.   To be honest, I also think this would be an extremely useful feature request. Please make that here: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

When I came to Adobe in the CS5 era, I also missed that feature. Since then, I've come to expect not everything will behave like FCP and look for workflows where I can feel comfortable.

Here's how I would approach your problem.

1. Stack up clips or PSD layers in the Timeline as you would in FCP
  2. Select the clips (and the audio)
  3. Ctrl-click and choose "Replace with After Effects Composition"
  4. After Effects launches
  5. Select multiple clips stacked in the After Effects Timeline (or the layers of your PSD)
  6. Drag them as a group to a new position
  7. You also have access to other parameters you can adjust as a group like scale and rotate
  8. Save the composition
  9. Your composition is now updated in Premiere Pro

Although you had to open After Effects, you can work with multiple layered Photoshop files or multiple clips much as you would in FCP. If you need to time animation to audio, why not include it (or a duplicate of it) in your AE comp? Just use markers to help you time the animation. That's what most people do.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I'm not at the computer right now but I believe you can double click on the objects in the programme window instead of clicking the motion button to then be able to drag it around, only one object at a time though.

That's correct.

I second the holding shift to lock the horizontal/vertical axis idea! I don't know why it's not implemented in Premiere when it is in all other Adobe software.

Me too, and I don't know why either. It's just the way it was originally designed and has yet to be updated.

Thanks for your input.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gnuyork,

I wish that Adobe would incorporate this the FCP did. I do a lot of basic compositing with graphics and I need to move multiple layers around.

FCP 1.0 was designed that way from the get go. Premiere was not. It would be great to get a feature request from you here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/38069215-allow-us-to-move-m...

That said, is there a way in Premiere to not have to always click on the motion button to be able to move objects in the program window, in other word as default setting? Having to take that extra step with each object is a bit of a bother.

Double click directly on the clip in the Program Monitor.

And one more thing, I could not find a way to lock either horizontal or vertical axis when moving objects. In other programs if you hold shift it will lock one axis and you can confidently move along the other... IS there a way to do this?

Sorry, but that's another feature request.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Squidbillies,

This is a feature I would use (and did use in FCP) dozens of times every day!  I really need this.  Any chance it's coming in a future update?

We really don't announce any features we are planning for the future. Your ask falls in the category of a feature request. Please make that here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/38069215-allow-us-to-move-m... (note: updated link to User Voice request with the most traction)

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, I resurrected this old thread today so I'm not sure if the original poster is still around but thanks for the replies.

The After Effects work around is quite long winded for what seems like a very simple task, but I do appreciate your point about how FCP was designed differently from the beginning. I'm sure it's not the case of just changing a couple of lines of code in Premiere, unfortunately! Hopefully the "multiple clip parameter editing" and "horizontal/vertical lock" features can be implemented in the future.

If anyone else would like these please submit feature requests! http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Hi Kevin, I resurrected this old thread today so I'm not sure if the original poster is still around but thanks for the replies.

Sure, no problem.

The After Effects work around is quite long winded for what seems like a very simple task, but I do appreciate your point about how FCP was designed differently from the beginning.

Indeed, it really seems that way from the outset, but AE launches really fast these days. You can set up these kinds of comps very quickly and be back in Premiere Pro in no time. Remember how Motion and FCP used to work together? I think of it in the same way.

Sure it would be better if Premiere Pro had all the goodies FCP had (like this feature), but it's a totally different application and so you may have to adjust your expectations.

I'm sure it's not the case of just changing a couple of lines of code in Premiere, unfortunately! Hopefully the "multiple clip parameter editing" and "horizontal/vertical lock" features can be implemented in the future.

That's often the case, but the question is then "when would we have the time to write and test that code when there are 800 priorities ahead of it?" The key is feature requests. The more we get for any one feature, the faster it rises to the top of the list of priorities.

If anyone else would like these please submit feature requests! http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

You have the right idea. Thanks!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure it would be better if Premiere Pro had all the goodies FCP had (like this feature), but it's a totally different application and so you may have to adjust your expectations.

As i move to Premiere from FCP7 I too find many inconveniences. While Premiere has many new and cool features, it's some of the missing BASIC features that Blow my Ever-Lovin'-Mind! Thanks to everyone for all the work around ideas surrounding this topic, but as previously stated... IT's ADOBE! They probably invented "Shift-Lock" dragging. and modifying multiple images at the same time... DERP! PowerPoint can even do that!

Kevin-Monahan, I'm just a little frustrated that "Adjusting my Expectations" has to be an option from a company that pioneered many of these basic image management tools.

As far as "just hopping over to AE" (which I don't have), I don't want to walk out to my Garage to change channels on my TV in the Living Room!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree more.

I remember asking for this back in 2012.  Move multiple clips at once?  Nope. You should submit a feature request.

2013  Move multiple clips at once?  Nope. You should submit a feature request.

2014  Move multiple clips at once?  Nope. You should submit a feature request.

2015  Move multiple clips at once?  Nope. You should submit a feature request.

2016  Move multiple clips at once?  Nope. You should submit a feature request.

Probably the most frustrating suggestion to hear is to make a feature request on something that not a whole lot of people are asking for. I'm doubtful they'll implement this in the next 5 years. Same with a new UI for that clunky keyboard shortcuts interface.  Oh I keep doing it, but It's an exercise in futility. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. I needed to move lyrics in a music video from the top of the frame to the bottom. I nested and moved 'em all down in 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes.  Woo-hoo!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + Track select forward tool + click in the upper left corner of the timeline (or anywhere else, probably), and that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate