• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.MTS files no sound

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Premiere Pro to edit .MTS files.  We have constantly experienced problems with Premiere Pro not importing sound.  Usually, updating everything (not just Premiere Pro) will solve this.  We currently have one machine were nothing is working, and right this second, we are deleting Premiere Pro to reinstall and try it again.

This nonsense of constantly battling to get Premiere Pro to import sound has been going on for months.  Why is this such a horrible ongoing battle?  Is there something we can do?

TOPICS
Audio , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

There are some good suggestions on here, and I will add a reminder for people to use the Media Browser to import media (as opposed to the import dialog) with potentially folder-dependent formats like MTS.

By "folder-dependent" I mean the video may be in one directory and the audio may be a sidecar file in a separate directory. So if you're importing the video directly it may not see the audio. The media browser is smarter than the import dialog so it usually knows how to access and import the ent

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a problem, that's the normal and desired behavior.  Locking a track means no changes whatsoever can be made.

It'd be a poor 'lock' that allowed you to insert clips, which is a change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was not locked audio tracks, it was having the primary video track as "targeted". When I cleared the targeted, I had no more trouble importing more mts tracks with their audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, the way I fixed my project was:

-  cleaning media cache

- quit premiere

- open back the project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Canon G30.  The camera comes with a CD which contains a program called "Data Import Utility".  First, you need to install that program.  You probably were doing what I was doing and taking the memory card out of the camera.  Do not do that, leave the card in the camera.  These files need to be processed INSIDE the camera and then transferred into your computer.  So plug the camera into the wall, now turn on the camera in playback mode, next plug the camera into the USB slot on your computer with the cord provided with your camera.  The camera will ask you which memory slot ( a or b) you want to transfer the files from.  Next, open the program you installed.  It will give your step by step (very simple) instructions how to transfer the files.  You won't get all those folders that you usually get when you try to take the files off the actual card.  You'll just get the mts files ready to be used.  These files will play with sound in Premiere and also Windows Live Movie Maker as well as Windows Media Player.  It took me weeks to try and figure out why these files had no sound and finally called Canon and got the instructions I just gave you.

Good luck and let me know if this helped you out.

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert MTS clips into another format for Adobe Premiere Pro and relink against the transcoded version. It will get the audio back into Premiere. Might be a bit time consuming but it works.

http://movies-videos-convert-tips.overblog.com/importing-mts-avchd-files-to-premiere-pro-for-editing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been converting to mp4 and clips look and sound fine. But now the video is choppy. If I stop it and start again then it smoothes out for about 10 seconds but becomes choppy after that. Audio is great and never affected. HELP

Any suggestions appreciated.

Les

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution I've found is to extract the audio track from the video using Adobe Audition.

Drag the video into Audition. It will extract the audio so it can be edited. Then simply save the newly extracted audio file as any audio format you like (eg WAV). Load the MTS video file and the new audio file into your Premiere project, drop them both into your time line and then link them.

I find this faster than encoding the video into another format.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've solved this by unlinking and relinking the files through the menu options "Make Offline" then "Link Media".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some good suggestions on here, and I will add a reminder for people to use the Media Browser to import media (as opposed to the import dialog) with potentially folder-dependent formats like MTS.

By "folder-dependent" I mean the video may be in one directory and the audio may be a sidecar file in a separate directory. So if you're importing the video directly it may not see the audio. The media browser is smarter than the import dialog so it usually knows how to access and import the entirety of the media in a single import. MTS files are not always folder dependent (in fact in most of my own media, they're not) but they can be so it;s good to use the Media Browser when in doubt.... and that would go for most other formats as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is solved?  Correct answer?  I don't think so!  I cannot get the audio files From my MTS files to import no matter what.  And I did move the accociated files into the same folder.  Any other program including Premiere Pro 'Elements' will bring in the audio as it is supposed to.  Only Premier Pro CC cannot get this right?  It's infuriating.  I have read fix after fix that does not work.  The only one that I know will work is to completely convert the MTS file to something else.  That takes time, and is frankly unreasonable.  I have a pro Canon camera and the supposed 'professional' Premiere Pro software.  And I cannot just import a complete MTS file and work on it?  Unacceptable and ridiculous!  I have been reading about this issue and others for years and Adobe doesn't solve them.  They should be embarrased.  I called Adobe for support, and if you are working on video on a Saturday or Sunday...it's too bad for you.  Not gonna happen.  I see that this thread is dates 2014.  It's 2020 now and this is still a problem?  Wow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With "folder-dependent" media, you often must copy the folder structure, as there can be file-location metadata linking them. If so, and you move the files from their original folders, the linking metadata no longer works. I've run into this before.

I tried copying the audio files in with the video as you did ... and it confused things rather than solving things. I ended up simply copying the entire folder structure for any AVCHD/MTS and similar media. It's a pain ... and I do so appreciate my BM PCC4K doesn't work that way.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Premiere Pro was importing MTS files with the audio fine. Then I went in and did a lot of unlinking and editing and suddenly only the video of the mts files was imported - I had not had any problem before. I did all of the things  suggested on this page and none helped. However, I noticed that if I started a brand new project, the first file placement came with the sound. The second file placement, however, did not come with the audio. BUT, if at the very first, by using shift to select all of the mts files I wanted, and then placed them all into the brand new project, all their sound files came with them. Then I found that if I imported that project into my working project, selected "import entire project", then all the video and sound files came with them and could be place with the audio in my timeline 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That second scenario sounds like you simply didn't have the Source targeting set for an audio track. After you have a sequence open in the Timeline panel, any further media you add from the Source monitor needs to have Source targets set on the very far left of the Timeline control header block for an audio and a video track.

I'll bet you have a blue video block on the far left, but no blue audio block. Simply click on the block for the appropriate audio track, it turns blue, and now the audio will also come with the video.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka, you are RIGHT, Mr. Haugen!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This advice helped me, now it works very fine with sound and everything! Thank you!
I was wondering why Adobe that is superior to pretty much every other editing company were not able to get the sound from a video that clearly had sound when viewing it in regular media players. But now it works, how simple and yet so easy to miss when one does not know the difference between the import dialog and importing directly in the browsing.

Once again, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope your problem has been solved, but I am gonna still post here , since this thread has many people have similar probpem. I will post here about how I deal wiht this kind of problem. First , I just go to the google and find a free converter called Hnadbrake, it woked fine until recently. Then I think this free one may not handle my mts files better, then I find some paid one to convert my mts files. And I donwload it from Download .com . Also I use it do deal with my other video files with different foramt. I like the Adobe premiere, but sometimes it may take me sometime to do the prework before I can edit my videos. So I got FCP and PP at the same Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Handbrake and when I convert the files to MP4 the sound works fine

but the audio is choppy. So the only solution is to put the MP4 files back

into Premiere and export that video as an mp4 again and then it's

editable. What a pain in the rear end to have to do all this just to edit

your video!!!!!!! There must be a better way.

Les

www.LesSchwartzPhotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I used this Handbrake before and I am exactly know what you are talking about. The output quality may not alwasy as I expected when it produced from Handbrake , so I just turn to some paid apps to help me. You may try to find some paid one to solve your problem. I am stastified with the one I used now. You can have a try. Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Les, have you tried simply unlinking and relinking the files through the menu options "Make Offline" then "Link Media"? This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dowsky,

How do I do that? Do I import the mts file first and then where is "Make

Off line"? And where is link media. What does this actually do??

If this works I would owe you big time. I've struggled with this for

months....

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the troubled .MTS files in your project.

Go to File -> Make Offline ... Choose the default "Media Files Remain on Disk" and click OK.

Then, with those same files selected, go to File -> Link Media, locate them and click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't find File/make offline?? I'm using PP CS6

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured out how to do that but still no sound.

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ready to give up on Premiere and try another editing program. Maybe

Sony Vegas ?? I hate learning new software but I just can't seem to get

anywhere after months of being patient.

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a couple of thoughts that might help.  First off, I completely agree with jstrawn; use the Media Browser to import clips ALWAYS.  Heck, use the Media Browser to import anything always.  MTS files are highly compressed, each flavor is a little different and frankly they are rather freaky!

Second, if you have to transcode (and you really shouldn't but if you do), why are you using transcoded video?  If audio is your problem just strip the audio out in third-party-of-choice program, bring it in to Premiere and marry to the original video.  I don't think this is the way to go but I would never use transcoded video.  Re-wrapping the MTS is one thing.  I had to do this sometimes in version 5.5 I think.  But never use inferior video if audio is your only problem.

Third and finally, when I have this problem, (and yes, I still have this problem sometimes) I find the problem is that Premiere just hasn't conformed the audio properly.  Even if I wait patiently for the audio conform bar to finish sometimes there is no audio there!  When this happens I close the Premiere project and go to my original source folder and delete the audio conforming information that Premiere has put there.  With the .cfa and .pek files deleted, Premiere is forced to re-conform and usually gets it right.  Hope this helps.  Here's a screen grab to show you where those files are in my flavor of MTS.

audio.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines