Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multicam Editing in Premiere CC Issue

Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded th trial version in Premiere CC and try to edit a multicam project edit about 30 min of footage saved it and close Premiere CC after reopen each cut made on timeline start with the begining of video so like i had 3 cameras and all of them start recording on diferent time i got like black image all over and sometime when i had switched to the camer x what start recording 1st is showing the image

........ any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

The fix for this bug has been cleared. It will be in a patch that’s nearly ready for release. I’m not at liberty to talk about when exactly the patch will go live, but it will not be until after we return from the company-wide shutdown this week. This fix not only produces correct multicam sequences but also redeems those corrupted by the bug.

I traced the issue back to the exact build when it was introduced, which dated to just weeks before the end of the cycle. It was not discovered until liter

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 225 Replies 225
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, its funny I remember this story of a huge car company.

This guy turns in his broken car to get it fixed at the car companys repair station. He recivece it a couple of days after and finds out that his ashtray that was in the car is missing.

So he calls back to tell them that he knows for sure that there was an ashtray in the car when he turned it in. The car company of course denide any acknowledgment regarding the situation and that there was nothing else they could do.

The guy hangs up the phone feeling upset and mistreated.

At the end of the day an ashtray is just an ashtray, but this was about the principle!

Not being able to let it go he the next day called another car company (Toyota) and asked them how they would have handled the situation. They said they would have bought him a new one with out questioning.

A week later he recieves a package from Toyota.

This is a true story and it happend more than 10 years ago

That tale is still used in almost EVERY car companys agenda on how to treat customers.

Lets just say Toyota did the right thing... They are a HUGE car company and they have gained soo much fust from this small incident.. It all started with just one ashtray...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried opening up any of the auto-save projects.  For the time, I have now downgraded back to CS6 and I am now redoing the multicam editing and will have to wait for the next release to bug fix.  I now apologize to Apple for bad mouthing them over the FCP X release.  The multicam issue then is why I switched to Adobe Premiere 5.5 when that occured.  I upgraded to CC for the audio sync when doing multi-cams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really have to recommend la_diamond's tactic for transferring the placement of your cuts. This way, you don't have to put in all the hard mental work of where and which shot to cut to -- just 10 minutes of mindless keyboard mashing. It's probably the best thing to do in this situation.

Any if you do, one tip / caveat: he says "make sure V2 is highlighted," but I found this wasn't that simple. You need the original track selected for arrow-down to go to the next edit point, but you need the new track selected to do the keyboard shortcut for cut-to-shot-#. So the first thing I did was go through and add markers on the timeline where every cut was, and then I finally went back through, highlighted the new track, and used the next marker shortcut to go to each new edit point. Hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In regards to the "Make sure V2 is highlighted", if you make sure both V1 and V2 is highlighted, then you can just press the down arrow and it will jump to the next cut in V2. V2 is already cut and you are trying to cut V1, so adding a cut to both works out well. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a check/quick workaround could you see if the last autosave for a Multicam project before it's closed carries the same Metadata issue?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening previous autosaves didn't work for me, still same issue. Only parts unaffected were parts that I didn't overwrite or use the mulitcam monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me, too. I spent two days trying to figure out what had happened and find a fix for it. I've been editing with Premiere Pro for ten years, and the issue was so strange I couldn't define it well enough to search for the answer!

Bad news from this end, though...this happened outside of multicam edit...sorry, Adobe. Hopefully your multicam fix will fix whatever happened in my timeline too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey LareeDraper,

Care to go into more detail on how you made this happen outside of multicams? I linked a video earlier showing how to recreate this bug in MC editing. If this can happen elsewhere it would be great to know how you made the bug pop up so we can all avoid it till Adobe finishes beta testing Adobe CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was afraid someone was going to ask that. I'm not sure I can get to an answer. This was a project I got from another person, a Final Cut guy, who did this in PPro so I could work on it after him. The way he works is different from me -- he cut all the clips from three cameras into a single track, whereas I use multicam for that. My guess, from reading some of the above, is it must have something to do with his in/out settings. I'll ask him, but since this is his first PPro project, he probably won't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Well becareful while using CC. You might want to use CS6. Keep in mind all CC owners also own CS6.

If his file doesnt have the issue... You could have him export an XML or another format to import it... Can't use multicam with this method though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed there was an PPro update tonight when I logged in. did this by chance address this issue? my current version is 7.0.0 (342) not sure if it was something differnt before? just curious though if this was the fix that Stev talked about a few posts up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I have gotten an update but I am on the same exact build. I think that was the launch build of Premiere Pro CC. I think the Creative Cloud app updated a few days ago but that doesn't effect Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly hope this fix comes incredibly soon - I've only just swung over to CC and didn't realise this bug until tonight (Sunday) - and I have a 1 hour TV show to edit by Wednesday afternoon.....c'mon Adobe.

PS - I uninstalled PP CS6 so I could run the system unihibited....might have to go back and find the installer.....does the Creative Cloud keep it or have they moved everything to CC versions now ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just me, but I'm guessing Adobe will not rush a fix out.  The worse thing they can do is get (more) careless and give us an update that either does not fix it completely or breaks something else.  I would still like an answer to my question of whether "the fix" will correct the problem sequences or are they just "toast".

In other words, if you have a tight deadline, like me, do the workarounds or find another solution.  I was able to put a copy of the muticam cips into the multicam sequence and recut the good copy - just DON'T redue, or overwrite a cut you make.  You can use the Rolling Edit Tool to come back and fine tune the cuts on the timeline.   That actually works better than using the Multicam Monitor and may become part of my workflow -  make the rough cuts first, then come back with the Rolling Edit Tool and tweak them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im actually swinging back to CS6 until it's fixed as I haven't got time to wait and have ingested 4 weeks' cameras x 3 off HDV.

Paul Seidel (via iPhone)

Voice Artist / Managing Director,

Big Mouth Media

p (03) 8669 1520 / w www.bigmouthmedia.com.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix for this bug has been cleared. It will be in a patch that’s nearly ready for release. I’m not at liberty to talk about when exactly the patch will go live, but it will not be until after we return from the company-wide shutdown this week. This fix not only produces correct multicam sequences but also redeems those corrupted by the bug.

I traced the issue back to the exact build when it was introduced, which dated to just weeks before the end of the cycle. It was not discovered until literally the eve of the deadline when we had to lock down the code. We deferred it but designated it one of the top priorities to fix for the patch.

I’m not directly involved in deciding which bugs to defer, but I stand behind the decision to do so in this case—given the timing, there was really no other choice. In my opinion, where we made a mistake was rolling this fix into a sizable patch rather than putting it and a few other critical fixes into small patch that we could have released on Day 1. Short of that, we at least should have posted a list of known issues and called out this one in particular through a sticky post.

Note that the key factor driving the decision to defer a bug of this magnitude was a suite-wide deadline keyed to the debut of the Creative Cloud. Given that it will supposedly not be necessary to coordinate deadlines in the new world of releases through the Creative Cloud, we should have more latitude to delay the release of a new version in order to fix such a harmful bug.

It sounds like many of you have already reached this decision on your own, but for the record if your editing involves multicam sequences we recommend using CS6 until the patch is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not directly involved in deciding which bugs to defer, but I stand behind the decision to do so in this case—given the timing, there was really no other choice. ....

I appreciate the candor of your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Mapes wrote:

In my opinion, where we made a mistake was rolling this fix into a sizable patch rather than putting it and a few other critical fixes into small patch that we could have released on Day 1. Short of that, we at least should have posted a list of known issues and called out this one in particular through a sticky post.

Mark,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Not for the patch, but for being upfront about everything. Two things stood out to me from reading your post:

1) To hear you say that a smaller patch should have been released sooner is so refreshing to me and in my opinion goes beyond this particular issue. I've always thought that if a fix is in and ready to go, why wait? Rolling out more patches more often, rather than holding onto them for one big sweeping patch, is MUCH more user freindly giving users tangible evidence that things are being worked on rather than having to just take one's word for it in a forum. So thank you for saying what you said.

2) This sort of post, with the information you provided, the admittance and explaination, and the honesty and sincerity with which it was written, if done more often about issues would go a long way in keeping users happy and confident about their investment. Even if a patch isn't ready or an issue was still being worked on, it helps knowing what's going on behind those Jurassic Park sized doors at Adobe.

Please thank the engineering team that was behind the patch and thank you personally for coming out to this thread and being open about the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Frank  explanation is appreciated .....much better than previous "stonewalling"  episodes regarding bugs. However, what other industry would dare release a KNOWN defective product that people are PAYING FOR and depending on....many PROFESSIONALLY !  This arrogance must STOP !! I am surprised the ambulance chasing lawyers haven't jumped on this with a class action suit. Why are companies now  operating in a manner that previous generations would consider dishonest and even illegal?

Would you buy a car with a known defect, hoping the seller would fix it later at some unknown time in the future??......I think NOT !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix for this bug has been cleared.

About time!

This fix not only produces correct multicam sequences but also redeems those corrupted by the bug.

I think its safe to assume people that are working on a deadline already fixed it by not using the unmarked beta software or switched programs for their project.

I stand behind the decision to do so in this case—given the timing, there was really no other choice. In my opinion, where we made a mistake was rolling this fix into a sizable patch rather than putting it and a few other critical fixes into small patch that we could have released on Day 1.

Are you saying there was a fix available on Day 1 but Adobe wanted to wait till there was a bigger patch with less crucial fixes?

Note that the key factor driving the decision to defer a bug of this magnitude was a suite-wide deadline keyed to the debut of the Creative Cloud.

Whomever was in charge of Premiere should have spoke up and said that a "bug of this magnitude" deserves a Day 1 patch. Besides the Files(cloud storage) and Fonts(type-kit) sections of the Creative Cloud are still MIA... That didn't get finished for the CC deadline and didn't cause days of work to be lost.

it will not be until after we return from the company-wide shutdown this week.

This is the part that kills me... Not only was the bug known before the launch of CC, the ability to patch on Day 1, and that no effort was made to warn the customer... BUT you have the patch ready and tell us we can't have it till after your vacation. I understand less crucial patches can wait just encase it breaks something else... A patch should have been released on day 1 as the Premiere Pro is broken until then.

Do you think Microsoft or Apple would release an OS that would corrupt user data after a reboot and not fix ASAP? This hasn't been treated as a major issue yet may of us here have spent countless hours on projects that got corrupted. This has been a massive waste of man hours for those who use Multi Cam sequences.

I am surprised the ambulance chasing lawyers haven't jumped on this with a class action suit.

Class action suit is a bit much considering the amount of people effected. This thread has about 6K views. There has been A LOT of money wasted. I dropped 8-16 hours into two projects before noticing it was broken. I had to pull a few all nighters, cancelled meetings just to avoid getting behind on work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark For updates, we waited long enough for an update few more days +- will be ok to wait ............. and all saying what Microsoft & Apple would release an OS that would corrupt user data they did release OS with bigger problems and they fix the faster or slower........... same thing did Adobe in past i don't remember well it was same thing in CS5 or CS4 there was a problem with Encore so i have to switch back to older version till they fix it, all big software builders do that to figure what they missed sometimes you pay attention to big problem and you miss the small one.......... thanks once again for update , we will wait........  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most big releases of software have public betas so they can test it without the expectations of proper use. Adobe put a release date on a pedestal and pushed the software out knowing about a major bug.

I am not concerned with getting this patch before they check out for vacation. It just worries me they have not pulled Premiere Pro or put a Beta banner/icon on it so people that are jumping in know to only use it as a playground but not production use. 

I highly doubt MS or Apple would release an OS that would have a bug like this. Honestly you can replicate it with out using plugins within a minute. This is not some botched upgrade bug ... It is a stand alone application that claims it is ready as a daily driver. That is insane. Sure Mark posted 2 weeks after the release on a small forum thread to warn the people that already know of the issue first hand. Adobe has yet to make an effort to stop others from wasting 100s to 1000s of dollars in man hours. It is like a City opens a new bridge with no lights on it... oh and a few of the lanes were not finished so you might fall through. Luckily they posted a warning on a forum thread though.

Push an update so the icon and loading banner lets people know to preceed with caution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like others have said, I do appreciate the open and honest post, but someone was worried about public perception if they would have put up a banner that said "Multicam is broken for now, will be fixed soon!" which is what they should have done.  The fact that this bug was there doesn't bother me.  The fact that it was pushed through bothers me a little, but I understand they had a deadline to meet.

The thing that kills ME is that Adobe knew about it, released it, and didn't say a peep to ANYONE.  Just let the time be wasted.  A banner should have popped up after opening Premiere for the first time saying "MULTICAM IS BROKEN, WILL FIX SOON!" or at least when you downloaded it.  This is just sad, because it would have saved a lot of time, headache and mistrust that was caused by this issue.  And it would have been very easy to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of you have wondered why we didn’t catch this bug sooner after it was introduced. I can see how that might seem inconceivable from the outside, to the point of making me and my colleagues look like incompetent slackers. Let me offer a little perspective from the inside that I hope will cast us in a somewhat better light.

When this bug was introduced, we were basically in the home stretch. The QA team was in the midst of sweeping the program one last time (while also testing bug fixes, investigating bugs reported by our pre-release testers, reviewing documentation for accuracy, etc.). Given the scale and scope of Premiere Pro’s functional and the size of our QA team, during the final sweep we don’t have the luxury of going very deep. [Features are tested deeply earlier in the cycle while features are under active development.] Considering that this particular bug does not manifest itself until the third launch, it does not surprise or alarm me that it was not caught during our final sweep. Besides, it’s possible that the multicam feature was actually tested thoroughly enough during the sweep to hit this bug, but before the bug was introduced.

Regarding criticism of how this bug was handled once it was identified and, especially, after it was deferred, I don’t have much insight to share. One point I should clarify: When I say it was a “known issue,” that does not mean that everybody on the team knew about it, or that its severity was apparent to those who were aware of it. At a minimum, it means that a bug report was on the books and that a small group known as the “bug review committee” [BRC] had reviewed it. As noted in my prior post, those on the BRC were aware enough of the severity to make it a priority for the patch, but they might not have anticipated that it would be bad enough to warrant a special critical patch. To keep the decisions regarding this bug in perspective, keep in mind that the BRC not only had a fairly high volume of bugs to process but the members of that committee each had lots of pressing responsibilities other than reviewing bugs.

That brings me to the third phase, which started on June 19 with this thread. Since then, our handling of the matter has been nothing short of poor, and for that I take personal responsibility. Though I was not even aware of this bug prior to this thread, I’ve been the main staff member on the scene, and I recognized by the 20th that it was a bad scene. I should have arranged for a banner sticky post warning of the bug, and I apologize to all who would have been spared inconvenience, frustration, and lost time had I done so. Alas, I don't have the admin chops to create such a sticky post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get an email notification or something when this is fixed?

EDIT: Thanks for the workaround guys. It works but hours down the drain.

I think everyone affected should receive a refund for the month, it's not good enough it release something this broken and say it's ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines