Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multicam poor performance on Specced Out MacBook Pro Max

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title ays it all.

Just picked up a new 2021 Macbook Pro Max with 32 GPU cores and 64gb of RAM, but I'm still getting abysmal performance when editing multicam with multiple nested sequences.

I have a project built where I have 6 feeds of talent watching a movie and reacting to it. I set it up in multicam where there are 6 nested sequences with the movie and reaction video playing at the same time, with different forms of Picture in Picture happening. When the multicam view is toggled everything slows to a halt. The computer basically becomes unresponsive. I've even tried to proxy out to ProRes low resolution with the same results.

What's crazy is: activity monitor isn't showing the computer is working hard. Stats are fairly level, so I don't know what 's going on.

Can anyone help me? Is it impossible to double nest sequences? Am I trying to push Premiere in a way I can't keep up? I've been trying to grow my one-man video business this past year, and Premiere has been getting in my at what feels like every step of the way.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, everyone!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us a bit about your source media specs and what you tried to proxy? It does sound fairly intense having a six way multicam, each of them nested, which equals a total of 12 streams. Have you got them all stored on your internal drive?

PS - the way I would work is to cut the multicam first, then nest and composite thesequences to get the looks I wanted. It may not be possible if you can't visualise the final result.

My initital impression of Adobe's M1 release is it's not very polished (much slower than Resolve or Final Cut) and they're not exactly breaking any speed records trying to make it better. These are just my opinions as a user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The raw clips are 4K H.264 4:2:0 (Shot on A7sII I believe), 

I'm trying to proxy them to the Quicktime ProRes Low Resolution profile in Premiere (422 Proxy, Quality 5)

It's "curious" because now, this laptop has better specs than my pc tower, but it can't keep up like my PC can.

Yeah, I learned Adobe first and love the plugins for it, but it doesn't seem like they have their finger on the pulse of what consumers are working with these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU NEED TO RULE OUT THE DRIVE. with that many streams do you have your media cache on an ssd that isn't the system drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved the project over to the internal drives on the Macbook. They're advertised as being able to move 400GB/s, but maybe that's not enough.

Sorry, my overall technical knowledge is lacking. I sort of thought I could take the big swing, go top of line, and be fine for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, while attempting to play this multicam footage, Premiere often gives me the error message that the "audio is not found" on one of the streaming clips. Not sure if that's related but it all is piling up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines