• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MXF baked LUT color problems - Filter Offline (Sony RAW MXF Source Settings)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a video with Sony Venice .MXF footage and for some reason I don't see the master effect drop down menu that allows you to choose a log other than rec 709 LUT.

I also can't modify - interpret footage and color override.

Not sure if it's because i'm using the new Macbook Pro 2021 16inch (specs attached) and updated my software but let me know if there is a way to troubleshoot.

The drop down "Sony RAW MXF Source settings" works perfectly fine on my older computer so truly confused why it says it's offline on my new laptop.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

I recently ran into this same issue and after scratching my head a bit and trying running premiere in Intel mode (as suggested in the replies - which did work!) I also found in M1 PP2022, while the source tab in the Effect Controls panel is sadly empty, what you can do is find your footage in the Project panel, right click on it, and instead of going Modify>Interpret Footage... as you would with ARRI footage, click on Source Settings... For me this brings up a window allowing me to select the co

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've changed a LOT of the color managment practices in the new 2022 version. I've got a FAQ I put together after working with a lot of clips from various other users here and my own media, I would recommend going through this ...

FAQ: PremierePro 2022 Color Managment for Log/RAW Media

Check the clip in the bin, as that is a main place for handling this from now on. Select one or more clips, right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage.

At the bottom there will be color management settings, and I would guess that is where they've gone for your media.

Another option is when a clip is on a timeline, going to the Effects Control Panel (ECP) and checking the Source tab. For say BRAW, RED, and most Arri media, that is where the full panel of settings for that format "live".

The Sony Venice may have a panel there also. And ... just to add ... not that I'm drooling about you're having Venice media to work or anything like that ...  😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I've tried those things. As you can see in the screenshot attached - it says the filter is offline which is strange. 

I've been dealing with Arri and Sony footage for awhile now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new rig is an M1, I'm wondering if that's it. The old one ain't, right?

There are a couple glitches with M1s I think. I'll try and get an answer for this ...

@mattchristensen  ... are you free? We need an answer for this puzzlement.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a 3rd party filter from Sony, isn't it?  If so, it needs to be installed when you configure a new workstation.

If you don't find it here, reach out to Sony Profeessional Support:

Software & Downloads - Sony Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just run into the same exact problem, so here I am.
Working with the latest versions of Pr 22 and Sony MXF footage, but moved to a new 2021 MacBook Pro 16" mid project (from an older iMac Pro).

The source effects says 'offline' just like yours, and the Lumetri color effects I originally adde to grade the footage (that live on the clip itself) make it look over saturated and blown out. There is no change when I turn the offline source effect on or off.  Also modify>interpert footage has the color management section greyed out.

Looks like I will be re-color grading all the shots from scratch.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up... Also what makes this weird, is that even though the filter that says it is offline when you're looking at the source clip. And even when you make sure it is off - it is still doing something. My sony footage should actually be flat as flar can be, but it is only showing me a verion where the colors are somewhat blown out. 

I may need to go back to the old iMac Pro to render this project out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it's treating this like some other Sony and Panny media ... misreading the log-encoded clip as being HLG/HDR ... and still not giving the clip the color management options in the Modify/Interpret Footage box.

Worst of both worlds ... improper treatment of media, AND won't allow CM options to get it treated properly.

This is acknowedged by the engineers, some month or two back. And we're awaitin a fix.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, Thanks! 

I hope the engineers find this helpful then...
I've attached comparison screen shots from the iMac Pro and the new 2021 MacBookPro. Both running the same version of Premiere. While I can solve this problem by jumping to the oler iMac Pro to color, many others will not be able to, and to me this means to me that coloring Sony's s-log footage is not possible on the new MacBookPros, because the footage is stuck with some baked-in log color management thrown on there that can't be disabled. 

I forgot that my OS we're not the same, but I don't think that is the issue here. 

not-working.jpg

Working.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Drew5FEF 

On the M1, have you tried launching Premiere Pro using Rosetta?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way. 
Thank you, this worked for me, and now the effect is there and working on the source footage!
Are the trade off's to working in Premiere via Rosetta that it makes Premiere slower on the M1 MacBook Pro? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it'll be slower.

Grey bars are using Rosetta.  Red bars are not.  Shorter is better.Grey bars are using Rosetta. Red bars are not. Shorter is better.

On the off chance you're wokring with clips using the GoPro Cineform CODEC, you'll still be able to work with them using Rosetta.  Also, if you happened to need to capture DV or HDV tapes, you'll still be able to do that using Rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't a baked-in log, it's more simpler ... color management misbehavior on the part of 2022 Premiere. It isn't supposed to be doing this, but ... is. A bug.

And nothing to do with any LUT or anything like that. Which is what everyone seems to assume.

Remember, ALL HDR is log-encoded, and some SDR/Rec.709 is log-encoded. Premiere is at this time mis-handling some SDR log-encoded media, displaying it as if it is an HLG clip, a form of HDR.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently ran into this same issue and after scratching my head a bit and trying running premiere in Intel mode (as suggested in the replies - which did work!) I also found in M1 PP2022, while the source tab in the Effect Controls panel is sadly empty, what you can do is find your footage in the Project panel, right click on it, and instead of going Modify>Interpret Footage... as you would with ARRI footage, click on Source Settings... For me this brings up a window allowing me to select the colour space for the footage. Hope this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconded! This is a great solution. Thank you. 

@chazs25187119, if you are still active, perhaps you can select this as the Correct Answer so it lives at the top of the page...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just run into the same exact problem,

how can i get sony raw mxf source settings ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you on an M series Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines