• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.MXF files not matching between PC & Mac - Not Color Management Override Issue

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Sony MXF files appear to have crushed blacks and slightly more saturation in Premiere on a Mac vs PC. This is not the usual color space override issue. Even after I set my clips to Rec. 709, they are still looking slightly more saturated.

On my PC, I have color-matched a shot between my Sony FX3 and Sony FX6. One is a .MP4 file and the other is a .MXF. On my PC, the two clips appear matched on two different displays. When I open the project on a M1 Mac, the .MXF file looks darker and more saturated...not a crazy amount, but the clips are very visibly not matching now (see attached example)

In my comparison, the FX3 (on the left) in both comparisons seems to be fine. It's only the FX6 with the MXF files on the right (wider shot) that are having color mismatch issues. Notice how much darker the suit is on the Mac.

How do I fix this? 

PC Mac Issue.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 12.49.53 AM.png
TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Hi,

Thanks for your patience on this. There is no response from the team just yet. Odd it's happening to one cam and not another, I think. I think all this started with v.22. So, you wouldn't be alone if you needed to move back to 15.4 until the next version is released. You can also test out the Beta.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, visual_captive, 

Sorry for the color issues. Have you had this problem in the past? Why does this project have to live on two different computers? 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had this issue before. One computer is my primary editing computer and my laptop is for editing when I am traveling. This issue would also be a big problem for any team collaborating on a file.

A few things I can add that I tried: 

• Upgrading the PC from V22.0 to V22.2 caused my color grade to change and replicated the MXF file issue on my PC that my Mac was experiencing. The problem with this is that I would then need to redo my color grade which makes no sense. Colors should be consistent across versions. I also had extreme system slow-down issues with the .mp4 files from my Sony FX3 and could not export. I had to roll back to V22.0 for stability and to go back to my existing color grade. 
  • I tried downgrading my Mac from V22.2 to V22.0 and this caused a new problem. My FX6 MXF files continued to be darker and more saturated and now my FX3 MP4 files became brighter even though there are no interpreted footage issues or color management settings applied. Again, this means that I would have to redo my color grade and that colors are not staying consistent across versions. Colors and exposure should not change between versions if color management and interpret footage settings are the same. 
  • I also discovered an issue with the comparison view in all versions. The comparison view is darkening frames when they are compared perfectly with each other. See my other post here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/comparison-view-color-error-in-ver-22-0/m-p/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard my last bullet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. It seems like there are a few issues around Sony cameras and color management with LOG-based footage and v.22 and later. As you experienced, it seems like an issue that got a change or fixes between the versions. Let me ask the product team if they have any suggestions. I apologize in advance that I have to ask for your patience in helping you find a solution on this one.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, please let me know what they say. I am curious how far back I should roll back. Maybe prior to V22 entirely? The issue is when I rolled back the Mac to 22.0 it created exposure issues with my log footage in the MP4 files and when I rolled forward to 22.2 it caused my MXF files to be darker and more saturated. It's hard to know which one is "right". If I roll back even further, maybe my PC and Mac will match?

The goal for me right now is to determine what version I need to be on for my log footage to match between systems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your patience on this. There is no response from the team just yet. Odd it's happening to one cam and not another, I think. I think all this started with v.22. So, you wouldn't be alone if you needed to move back to 15.4 until the next version is released. You can also test out the Beta.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this exact same problem with my XMF files in premiere. Shot in S-Log but when i bring into a sequence the blacks and highlights are extremely messed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If yours are way off it may be because of the automatically applied LUT that Premiere now applies to files when they are imported. First, try this below and if that doesn't fix it, then your issue is the same as mine. 

Select all the clips in the project panel > Right click > Interperet footage > Under color management change input LUT to 'None' and that should fix it. If None is already selected make sure that instead of SLOG3 LUT being applied you set it to Rec.709. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is user to user forum where we users help each other. The Adobe engeneers do not always read everything here. If you feel strongly about a (new)feature or (bug) fix please post it on uservoice, as it will be read by the engeneers.
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Adobe does not make it clear where to get the right help. I have posted the bug to that page here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44980438-bug-mxf-files-not-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines