• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help Mixing 23.976fps and 25fps (Audio Recorded Separately)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know there's a lot of questions like this on the forums but I couldn't find very clear answers pertaining to my problem specifically, so here I am. I am editing a digital TV series - it's 40 minute long episodes and there's 5 of them. The problem is that, due to where it was being shot, we filmed 25% of the footage in NTSC (23.976) and 75% of the footage in PAL (25fps). I'm fine exporting in either, but since I don't want to mess up the separately recorded dialogues and any syncing issues that they would incur, I need to know: 

- Should I edit the whole series in 23.976 or 25? There's more 25fps footage, but (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't premiere pro handle dropping frames better than adding frames?

- Secondly, HOW should I mix this? Should I create a sequence and then drop the two different framerate files into the sequence. What does that do? Does premiere slow/speed up the clips if I do that? (which is what I don't want because of audio syncing problems) Or does it simply add / drop frames? Any sort of help on this would be lifesaving and deserving of a special thanks in the credits!! PLEASE HELP!!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy. Just make a sequence that matches the 23.976 frame rate and use that. Premiere will drop frames where needed upon export. It won't speed up or slow down anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Really needed a clear answer like this. One question though: would dropping frames introduce any problems such as choppiness or weird artifacts during final playback, and if not, is that only because we're dropping one frame as opposed to if we were putting a 30fps clip into a 24fps timeline? Would that be a problem then? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's really no guarantee. Best thing to do is place 40 minutes of footage on the timeline, edit it up randomly, do a test export. Open in an external player, fast forward to the last 5 minutes and simply watch it. Keep an eye/ear out for audio sync issues. Any weirdness? If not, then you're likely good to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines