I have recently updated my Premiere Pro version to the newest one and discovered the new caption tool.
I started working with it and I realized that it is extremely laggy and slow. Every time I put a new caption or change a style, it almost feels like I need to way 30 seconds to 1 minute until the changes are processed and I can continue working. And this can become extremely tedious if there are a lot of captions to do for a longer piece of content.
I have heard different feedback on working with this tool, where some people really like it and others find it as buggy as I do.
My PC specs are also pretty good, this is not something that should slow down my work process.
Maybe there are some settings I am using incorrectly? I am not really sure what is the problem.
This is not normal behavior for most users. But there are other reports of slow performance on editing or playback or freezes. I don't think anyone with the issue reported back as to whether there was any correlation between slow playback and number of captions, length of timeline, or complexity of assets.
I suspect that you have, but if not, test with a new project. I had an unrelated issue and staff could not reproduce the bug I reported unless they used my project file. I reset preferences and reset the captions workspace - all was well.
I would also do the clear the cache routine that is recommended anytime there is a new version.
This happens basically in every composition that I try to use the caption tool, most of them are also extremely simple.
What happens is how you describe that other people have issues with it: "But there are other reports of slow performance on editing or playback or freezes." - sounds extremely similar to what happens in my composition.