Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New captions workflow crashing playback

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I updated Premier Pro CC with the new captions workflow.

In principle I like the update, but it keeps crashing my playback monitor and timeline. 

I can move the time-tracker on the timeline but if I hit play then the audio plays but the video is frozen and the time tracker doesn't move. It doesn't crash the system completely it just glitches the video playback and time-tracker. 

I have tried:

1. Setting the playback res to lowest possible 

2. Updating playback setting to Software Only. 

3. Copying text into plain text editor before pasting into Premier

None of these have made a difference. My computer is fairly new (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-15-6-inch-Anti-Glare-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07TS97JKR) and I've upgraded it to 32GB of RAM. I can have Photoshop, Illustrator and Premier open and it will be OK but as soon as I start using captions I get the above issue. 

Has anyone else had this issue? Or can anyone offer an advice?

It's super annoying because I have to add subs to loads of videos for work.  

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What caption steps do you take that crashes it? For example, if you add a caption track, then press play? Then add a single caption and press play?

Are you importing srt or similar?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

I am not using an SRT file. I get sent scripts in MS Word. There are sometimes discrepancies between the video and the script so I update the subs as I watch it through. So using an SRT file wouldn't be ideal for me. 

I add a captions track (which works ok). 

Then I just adjust the position to the start of speech, press new caption and copy and paste into the new caption box and then adjust the length. I tried pasting everything into notepad to see if it was an issue with MS Word, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

The freezing doesn't occur 100% of the time but 80% of the time it does. It will happen if I add a new caption and then adjust the position to within the caption and press play. If I adjust the position to a point where there is no caption then it tends to play ok. 

Does that help at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; that is the info I was asking for.

Also Win10, and I am not seeing this problem. 

Try typing captions instead of pasting. Do enough that you believe you would have seen the problem. Does playback still freeze?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

I just opened an old project that didn't have any captions.

Added the caption track. 

Added a caption by hand saying 'This is a test'.

Hit play and it froze after 1 second.

I don't think it's to do with pasting the captions.

It may be something to do with my setup but I can't think what it would be that would make it crash with caption but run fine with everything else. 

Thanks 

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall seeing a report of this issue related to captions. I'd say file a bug report. But first, one more test. The new captions are based on the Essential Graphics. And I'll say at the beginning, that I agree with your conclusion that it is captions related because it only happens when you are playing in a section with captions.

Create a new project. Add a video and sequence. Play.

Set it to software only.

Create a regular graphics text item (click to Text tool and type in the Program Monitor). Play. If there's a problem, this isn't really a caption issue.

If no problem, now add a captions track and add a caption. Play. If no problem with regular text and a problem with caption, then that seems significant - even though I have no idea what would cause it.

Are you using a common font or something different?

Bug report:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also having this issue, It keeps freezing the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines