• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Essential graphics in Premiere Pro CC2017 - Credit rolls - what am I missing?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've just looked at creating a credit roll in the new essential graphics tool and unless I'm missing something it's pretty useless.

1. You can only move layers using the position tool - so creating a long credit roll you have to continually resize your view and move the text box - impractical for long credit rolls.

2. If you want to create different layers you can't move them together. There is no link layers command that I can see. You can't shift click them. The can't control or command click them. You can't move them together in the keyframe editor.

3. If you create a style and apply it to selected text it changes all the text in that text box - meaning if you want do credits with different styles for say the role and the person then you have to create separate boxes - which means manual calculations on any key frames - impractical.

4. It's buggy and seems to crash the program a lot.

5. Trying to do manual calculations and adding and subtracting numbers in the position editor does not work like it does in AE. Some interface consistency would be nice.

Ok - I'm no PP wiz - I could be missing stuff but even the legacy tool with an inbuilt croll function seemed better than this and that was still ordinary to navigate around.

Heck the title tool in Avid is better - you at least get a scroll bar so I can scroll through my credits at full size (without having to make my viewer minuscule) and adjust, type in new names etc on the fly. That tool is more than 15 years old. I'm not saying its great but at least you can get stuff done.

I ended up doing it in Photoshop after mucking around for 30 minutes in the new tool. Took me 5 minutes in Photoshop.

What Adobe needs is vertical and horizontal scroll bars on boxes that go wider than the screen, a scroll and crawl position editor (or doing it the old way in the legacy tool where you just drag it to the length you want - that was actually a neat function) and the ability to apply styles only to selected text. Just about every HTML page features basic stuff like this.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Credit rolls and crawls are still work in progress in the new essential graphics tool, I just use the legacy title tool which is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Credit rolls and crawls are still work in progress in the new essential graphics tool, I just use the legacy title tool which is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair it seems like the whole essential graphics tool is still a work in progress. What would be nice was if it mirrored Photoshop's functionality and actually allowed you to import Photoshop layers and ability to link. Hopefully that's the plan and the reason Adobe have introduced it because at the moment it seems like a backward rather than a forward step.

BTW the legacy title tool is no bargain - I tried to use it by copying the text from my Photoshop document into the legacy tool and it refused to paste anything beyond the first 8-10 lines and then it would do weird things like copy without the formatting - but not every time. I gave up and just imported the PSD and set keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A work in progress!!!!??? Im not paying you for software thats "a work in progress". Where are the refunds???? Im trying to build rolling credits and I cant even select anything with the type tool. It jumps all over the place when I try to select a portion of text to make a change. The scroll is too sensitive. Comon What the ____ is your deal. This type of "thing" is cutting into my bottom line. . Adobe you - the bed with these new titles. They Suck so hard PLEASE HELP, PLEASE FIX, PLEASE REFUND

Thank you 

[Moderator note: these are public forums frequented by all ages including children, and by forum rules all posts MUST follow polite community language guidelines.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

Needing to vent is fine, I've certainly posted a few that were quite a bit longer than yours here. Feel free.

I'd not that the bit you quoted is from another user ... as are most all comments here. This is a user-to-user help forum with some oversight by product support staff, and nearly everyone posting here is simply a user of the program. Like me.

And that quote was from three years ago, when they first released the EGP, and yes, at that time it was publicly stated it was released alongside the Titler as the start of a new system. It's had many changes since. Perfect? No, but very useful for many things.

Not being able to select a specific section of a rolling credit would be a massive pain, I understand. But I can't repro your problem with the scrolling of credits. When I say click and drag on an area, it's pretty precise. So I'm trying to figure out what the problem is specifically.

If nothing else, you could always click in the crawl, select-all/copy, paste in a text editor ... change what you need, select-all/copy ... and replace the whole crawl quickly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that sucks you can't reproduce. It's really hard to use the type tool.
I'm trying to select text to make it bold and the cursor will select text
rows below instead of what im clicking on. Also the Command - B shortcut
does not work to make text bold.. you have to select it on the side bar.
That's a step backwards. I've tried your idea of editing in another text
editor then pasting but essential graphics completely deletes any sizing or
bolding changes it just makes it all one font (not the one i've chosen). It
defaults to aligning to the right when My credits were centered in the text
editor. Im so frustrated with adobe software. I loved the Legacy titles
worked like a dream. Why does adobe think they have the right to mess with
a tool that I use to make a living?? I'm paying the same amount of money
but the software has been dumbed down. I need a refund. how do I get the
word to your S%^T head boss?
--

Sincerely,
Alex Richard

Phone: (310)-809-9469
Email: 24alex.richard@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

Please make your feelings known here on User Voice where the Team will read your feedback. It's just users, me and my small team here. Sorry.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that sucks you can't reproduce. It's really hard to use the type tool. I'm trying to select text to make it bold and the cursor will select text rows below instead of what im clicking on. Also the Command - B shortcut does not work to make text bold.. you have to select it on the side bar. That's a step backwards. I've tried your idea of editing in another text editor then pasting but essential graphics completely deletes any sizing or bolding changes it just makes it all one font (not the one i've chosen). It defaults to aligning to the right when My credits were centered in the text editor. Im so frustrated with adobe software. I loved the Legacy titles worked like a dream. Why does adobe think they have the right to mess with a tool that I use to make a living?? I'm paying the same amount of money but the software has been dumbed down. I need a refund. how do I get the word to your S%^T head boss? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted above, this forum is U2U with oversight from the product support staff ... who are NOT part of product development. Such as Kevin, who works very hard in support of users, has for years. But again, he's not in product development, not on the team.

And as I also noted above, I am only another user like you ... so it makes one wonder if you actually read the posts above. But I know from personal experience, when one is pretty ticked off, reading comprehension can drop a bit so don't worry about it.

Yea, you're right, the formating of text won't make it through. Which is a pain. And I'd not caught that the bold command didn't make it over with the rest of the Titler key-shorts that were ported out to all text items last year. Puzzling why it wasn't, and I'll push for that to get added. Stupid that it isn't available now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the man Neil. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP! 

I have a time sensitive project and Essential Graphics keeps crashing! im getting this message everytime I try to edit my rolling credits.

Premiere Pro has encounterd an error 

../../../Mezzanine/AP/Inc/ComponentParamActor/TripleComponentParamActor.h_342

My set up 

Computer: Mac Pro (late 2013)

Processor: 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory: 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

I have tried setting graphics from Metal to software only and it has not helped

I cant find any help online! Ive filled out 4 crash reports and Adobe is ignoring me. I have a very important project due tomorrow and I need to solve this now. I feel helpless and depressed. It's just titles for shucks sake.. what am I doing worng? It was working earileer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I had better help for you. And yea, it would be a vast improvement if Premiere could handle formatting from doc style apps, so we could do text there and have it all come through.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did any of these problems ever get solved? I am using the latest version of PP (23.1.0, Build 86) on Windows 10, and I am still struggling with Mr. Mondo's complaints #s 1, 2, and 3. No crashing (yet). But I'd really love to be able to select a line of text and apply a style to it without the entire text frame adopting that style. This has been a solved problem for a couple of decades in programs like InDesign. I'm not understanding why this can't work in Premiere.

I have a 4-page credit roll I'm trying to do, and I have given up and moved to Photoshop to try it (I may try it in InDesign which has better type support).

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Thank you Adobe team for a super useful product that still needs a bit of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think making separate text boxes that are linked together for animation is the only way to do that in the EGP right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines