New Mac studio

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to buy the new Mac Studio to replace my IMac Pro. Based on the reviews I’ve read so far, it seems that the M1 Max is enough for 4K grading and video editing, and that the Ultra is only worth it for heavy VFX or 3D work (which I don’t do). 

I’m considering the M1 Max with 32 GPU. Do you think the 64gb extra memory is worth getting? I currently have 32gb on my IMac Pro. Resolve runs perfectly fine even with complex grades but Premiere Pro has been running very slow on editing projects with mixed footage source / codecs and a couple of effects (stabilising, pre-grade/LUT, titles). 

Any thoughts or advice? 

Also, I’m not sure about the Studio Display. What alternative monitor would you recommend?

I already have a Eizo calibrated monitor for my grading work. I’ve been looking at Eizo and BenQ options as main editing / GUI monitor but any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends. Some video codecs use more RAM than others. If you think you might want to edit multiple layers of 8K Pro Res it will proably take a big toll on the RAM. I think the Apple M1 chips have hardware encoding and decoding for Pro Res. In the video below I am using Windows Task Manager but I think you can use iStats on the Mac to check your systems perfromance. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the M1 Max seems to be the sweet spot for video editing.

If you're already accostomed to an iMac Pro display with Eizo as a second display, I'd go with the Apple Studio Display with Eizo as a second display.

As far as RAM and internal storage goes, I'd match or exceed what's in your current iMac Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines