• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Premiere Pro - GIANT disappointment!

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took a 6K RED CLIP Premiere Pro 22, could not play it and didn't even understrand the color.

Took the same 6K clip into Resolve 17.4 and not only did it play it like butter - it understand the color perfectly!  How can Premiere Pro be this much behind the curve!   I still love After Effects but my days of using Premiere are only when the client insists!  

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's unfortunate. I've worked some 6k RED recently without any trouble, full support in the Source tab for all the RED settings and played back quite smoothly. Both Dragon and one of the other RED cameras.

In fact the RED Dragon was the A cam in the shoot I used for my MAX class, S565: Think Like a Colorist: Color Correction in Premiere Pro. Footage was a joy to work with too ... had the Dragon, my BMPCCRK, and an A7S3. All played fine. Personally I found the RED and the BRAW the easier to work with compared to the A7S3. To each their own.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be on a PC where I know Adobe puts more emphasis....either that or you're on drugs. I sent the same clip to my friend who has a $14,000 Mac Pro and it still wouldn't play nice. Though, again, once in Resolve it played like butter. But I don't care. My days of using Premiere are over with - incredibly inferior next to Resolve. Though we will be using After Effects, Photoshop, and the rest of 'em. 

You think like a colorist? There is no colorist worth his salt that doesn't color in DaVinci.

Disney uses Resolve exclusively now. The superman movie, Man of Steel, all in Resolve. DUNE was colored in Resolve color. 

End of discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, a bit personally hostile there ... no clue why. Ah well.

To answer the post anyway ... yea, my rig's a PC ... 24 core 3960X Threadripper, 128GB of RAM with a 2080Ti.

Your comment about Adobe favoring PCs ... no clue where that comes from. Most of the Premiere Pro development team are by preference Mac people, and they've been running all sorts of things out for the M1 Macs right and left. Like BlackMagic, they need to work both sides of the canyon there and do. But their personal preference and personal machines are nearly all Macs.

No, I'm not on drugs ... and again, why the personal pointed hostility is beyond me.

"Think like a Colorist" is a title for a presentation tomorrow morning US PDT on Adobe MAX 2021. Notice what it actually like, says? "THINK like a colorist" ...? Because that is what is about ... thinking like a colorist. Never says nor implies that colorists normally work in Premiere Pro. It's teaching beginners to moderately skilled editors how to approach color more like a colorist would.

I'm a contributing author at MixingLight.com ... a pro colorist's subscription website. My "beat" there is teaching pro colorists who may at times need to work a project in Premiere Pro how to get the most done. As closely to Resolve or Baselight as possible. I'm quite conversant with Resolve's color page naturally as I need to be able to compare the two.

And I daily work with, learn from, and communicate with pro colorists. Which is a joy to be sure.

While a full colorist would always prefer the larger tools of Resolve or Baselight, there's a lot of pro produced media that doesn't have time/budget for the conform process, and so ... somebody does what can be done in PrPro and that's it. That's what I prep people for.

Though personally, I actually preferred to work in SpeedGrade over Resolve ... but it got EOL'd under the previous manager of Premiere Pro. We ... disagreed, shall we say? I see the lack of a full-on colorist's tool in the Adobe suite as a major hole. And I've been rather blunt about that over the years.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my apologies if I came across as hostile. I was trying to be funny.  Sometimes humor gets lost in trasnslation. But I am a very sarcastic person. Again, no hostiltity aimed at you at all!

For years I've been trying to get Premiere Pro to get the basics right before adding all the bloat. We can't even solo a video track without a dozen clicks. Really? And its performance is turtle like as compared to Resolve. And with all of Adobe's money...you would think that by now. 

Oh well...good luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the clarification! I've also had to 'channel' myself online, as yea, I'm a bit sarcastic at times in person.

These apps are really nothing but tools to get something done. Fancy hammers. That's all. If one 'feels' better, or fits your media, gear, or sensibilities better than another, then that's the one to use. I was rather fond of SpeedGrade simply because of how flipping easy it was to do incredibly targeted changes. Which ... ain't the case with Lumetri.

But other than that, hey ... they're tools. Resolve's UI is just not my cuppa, but I've got friends who totally love it. I hate the way my Elements panel is completely locked down in Resolve. Half or more of the tools are dark at any one time, you can't change or add anything, and the navigation from this to that is simply bizarre.

In PrPro, I can use that Elements panel for color, audio track mixing, graphics/text/etc. resizing and rotation ... all sorts of things. Map the heck out of it. And I like the ability to create my own workspaces.

Even that ... the individualized workspaces of Pr ... drives some of my Resolve-loving mates batty. To each their own!

On my desktop, Pr runs about the same as Resolve 17.2. I've not upgraded to .4 yet due to waiting for the inevitable bugs to get squashed in a bit. And yes, the BM forums and the others I frequent have a lot of people who migrated to .4 only to have to go back to get the work done. Hey, it's software ... that stuff happens. They'll get it running better fairly soon.

But even then all my colorist acquaintances have long lists of bugs & feature issues that bug them and haven't been addressed in forever. Yea, it's software made by humans ... ain't gonna totally please everyone. Again, it's a tool. A deep one for color for sure, but still ... a tool.

On my laptop, a Predator Triton with a laptop form of the 2080, Resolve is a total dog. Pr runs pretty decent. But I know of others where the reverse is true. No clue, but there it is.

Use the tool you like. Get the work out to the people what pays your bills.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, 

I agree...
I stay on adobe for after effect but Ithink i will leave...
I wait for a real working update since 5 years ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't feel insulted for you, Neil, when the drug thing was mentioned.

I'm 70 and take drug pressure medicine every day.

I am also drinking a beer (alchohol is a drug to some intellectuals ).

And took covid shots this past year against virus...another drug and had to get TWO shots....

That difficulty of 'nobody knows how to get these shots delivered' is like my video monitor dying like a dead duck yesterday, and is now in the garbage.

You hope for so much and then reality happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines