• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Premiere update duplicates all folders and files to upgrade Productions.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just updated to the new version of Premiere (March 2021)

Testing out things I tried to open an existing Production. Turns out that Premiere copies EVERY SINGLE FILE of the old Production into a new folder to upgrade it into a 2021 Production (adding V15.0.0 to the folder name), so you get yourself a whole duplicate of everything. If you have to go back to an older Production and do whatever change you need Premiere will duplicate everything unless you have installed the version of Premiere where you created the Production. Now, I just finished editing a feature film that needs around 25 TB of space. The project was created as a Premiere 2020 Production so if I need to change anything in the future and I don´t have Premiere 2020 installed it will be converted to the latest version (2021 or whatever it is) but duplicating everything. I will take a long time and requires another 25 TB.

Unless I am doing something wrong, really there is no way to convert just the Production and Premiere Project files without duplicating the whole thing??? Because, to me, this makes using the Production workflow impossible, specially in projects with lots of material.

Just tried this in different Windows machines with different specs. All with same result.

Sergio

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Hi @Sergio_User I think there's a fundamental issue here – you should not store any media files inside your production folder. Premiere Pro expects to have full control over what is in there, and there should only be project files (.prproj), folders, and the occassional lock file (.prlock) for any projects that are opened.

When you upgrade a production to a new version of Premiere Pro, it first makes a duplicate of the Production folder since the process involves Premiere Pro going through and u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sergio_User I think there's a fundamental issue here – you should not store any media files inside your production folder. Premiere Pro expects to have full control over what is in there, and there should only be project files (.prproj), folders, and the occassional lock file (.prlock) for any projects that are opened.

When you upgrade a production to a new version of Premiere Pro, it first makes a duplicate of the Production folder since the process involves Premiere Pro going through and upgrading each project file. In case there was ever a problem that happens, we wanted there to be an untouched backup.

It sounds like you had your 25 TB of media inside the production folder. We recommend against this for two reasons:

1. The Production panel does not show this media, so you don't have a view into what is stored where
  2. Premiere Pro expects that you are not putting media there, so in cases like this it is not expecting that the upgrade process would involve 25 TB of media.

If this is the case, you now have a v14 Production folder with media inside it, and a v15 Production folder with media inside it. Both productions are going to be linking to the media in the v14 folder. So, you can safely delete the media in the v15 folder so that your upgraded v15 folder has only folders and project files in it. Then, move forward using the v15 production to work out of.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense or if you have further questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Matt, pefect answer. I could not understand where my mistake was. After moving some folders here and there and deleting the duplicate files all is fine and working as it should. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still RIDICULOUSLY INCOMPETENT on Adobe's part...

I have productions from 2021 that now have EIGHT DUPLICATE FOLDERS and each one has different files...

Premiere is not longer a professional tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines