• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to Pr: How to rearrange edit? Ctrl+Alt seems to overwrite clip instead

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to the app and finding something that should be simple so frustrating.

I want to move clips (video and audio) from the source panel or from within the timeline panel around on the timeline. For examples clips A, B, C, and D and I want to move clip D to now become A, D, B, and C.

I click on the clip on the timeline/source panel, press Ctrl+Alt and the rearrange edit symbol comes over. When I move the clip...it just overwrites what is there instead of pushing it to the right.

Can anyone explain this to me? Most sites I find all say Ctrl+Alt is the simple way and everything shifts but I am not getting that at all.

I am able to get this to work if I move a clip to the end of my timeline but I cannot move clips around within my timeline.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Dont use ctrl+alt when moving clips from source panel into the timeline.

Ctrl+alt is just for swapping clips, which are already in the timeline, around.

If you want to insert a clip from the source panel into the timeline then you use Insert (,) or drag and hold down ctrl.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont use ctrl+alt when moving clips from source panel into the timeline.

Ctrl+alt is just for swapping clips, which are already in the timeline, around.

If you want to insert a clip from the source panel into the timeline then you use Insert (,) or drag and hold down ctrl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann.

The (,) trick sounds swell.

I am still have issues within the timeline swap with what all parties indicate Ctrl+alt is the trick to help.

I am moving a clip from the end of my timeline to the middle and it overwrites a portion of the clip I am placing it next to (so the timeline isn't moving over to accommodate the swap). What could cause that. I am pressing Ctrl+Alt and guiding it over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like I have to hit Ctrl+Alt at the same exact time (and hard) and then drag it over. Then it seems to work 1 in every 4 tries

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to select Ctrl and alt at the same time.

I usually select the clip, move it to about the spot in the timeline I want it to drop,

Still holding the clip with my mouse, pressing Ctrl and a tad later Alt.

Then moving (still holding ctrl+alt) the clip to the spot I want it to insert and let go of the mouse.

Then let go of ctrl+alt.

Depending on the front or back of the clip you will see these (rearrange) icons.

Cur_RearrangeLeft_1_1@3x.png

Cur_RearrangeRight_1_1@3x.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insight. I certanly see that little icon! I tried what you just said but it just leaves a gap in the timeline from where I moved from. The Ctrl+Alt method is working every now and then so I amy just stick through with it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try a different keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thank you, it's helpful. So my question is, is it applicable in all
the versions of premiere pro. My name is Ahadi, film alumni from DRC. I use
premiere pro CC2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines