Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to Premiere Pro, refuses to import DV footage from Vixia HV30

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Wrong Input Format, Try Changing Camera Format or Capture Settings."

iMovie has no problem importing footage from this camera on my MacBook Pro. Does anyone have a solution? Much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

In your project, go to File > Project Settings > General and see what format of video Premiere is expecting to find on the connected device:

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.10.04 AM.png

If this is not the format of video you shot on your camera, then change it.

If it is the format of video you shot on your camera, then make sure your camera is not down-converting the video (Down-converting HDV to DV, for example) at the firewire (iLink) port. There is an internal menu setting in the camera to turn this downconversion on or off.

If Premiere is

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing that comes to mind is you'll need to connect the camera to a Firewire port on the edit system, which you likely don't have.  Going through adapters often doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. My MacBook Pro doesn't have firewire - it has thunderbolt and the videocam is connected to that. As an aside, iMovie is free and has no problem importing footage; Premiere costs a fortune and wants us to jump thru hoops for something so absolutely basic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FireWire ports were a LOT more common back when people were using tape-based cameras.  No one does any more, so the port just kind of disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With respect, many people have hundreds of tapes from the days of DV, DVCAM and HDV. I get a bit tired people suggesting otherwise.  The one reason to connect an older format tape machine is to digitise the material using a computer!  Until Catalina/Big Sur I was able to use a FireWire adapter into my MacPro and capture archive material no problem; now it seems I need to buy another interface to have any hope of digitising valuable archive tape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont blame Adobe, blame Apple.

On windows you can still capture tape with the latest build (15.1 48)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your project, go to File > Project Settings > General and see what format of video Premiere is expecting to find on the connected device:

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.10.04 AM.png

If this is not the format of video you shot on your camera, then change it.

If it is the format of video you shot on your camera, then make sure your camera is not down-converting the video (Down-converting HDV to DV, for example) at the firewire (iLink) port. There is an internal menu setting in the camera to turn this downconversion on or off.

If Premiere is expecting an HDV tape, and the camera is set up to down covert to DV, then Premiere will see an incorrect source.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine only shows HDV, my camcorder is old DV camera, Quicktimes and iMovie detect it but not Premier, I have acutally tried them and they work except that they have a problem with time drops and it creates a whole bunch of little clips and Quciktime has a lipsync issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact problem. I am trying to import DVCam tapes that were shot in 4:3 aspect ratio and Premier is telling me its the wrong format. I have gone to the capture format section as above but clicking on it simply gives me the same option as is already presented as in "DV". So effectively I have a choice of DV or DV. Not very helpful. I have searched for 16:9/4:3 switch but can find nothing. I'm new to this edit system and find it very frustrating. You tube is a great knowledge base but constantly switching back to youtube isn't helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact problem. I am trying to import DVCam tapes that were shot in 4:3 aspect ratio and Premier is telling me its the wrong format.

By @LiselotteB82C

It´s not the format as in 4:3/16:9 Premiere Pro complains about. The format Premiere Pro complains about is if you for example try to feed Premiere Pro with a HDV stream while Premiere Pro expects a DV stream or vice versa. 

Go to Edit > Preferences > Device Control and click on Options and make sure that it matches what you are trying to capture. For example, if it is set to NTSC while you are trying to capture PAL you have a mismatch you need to correct.

Or, download a free copy of ScenalyzerLive and experience trouble free capturing. Premiere Pro is not the best capturing tool as you just have noticed. I used ScenalyzerLive for years and noticed that it is free now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am capturing all of my old DV tapes right now on a 2019 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.4.

I use several tools, some free with macOS and some not.

I can use 2 different connections to the MBP.

Free tools:

• QuickTime Player
  • iMovie

Not free tools:

• Final Cut Pro X
  • LifeFlix

If you want, I can talk about the benefits/limitations of each and go more in-depth to my connections. The good part is, once the video is captured to .mov files, Pr will import and edit them very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere needs firewire to capture from the hv30.

I recently capture hdv with a hv20 and had no issues: Premiere 2018 on W10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I can only choose HDV. I'm using build 14.1.0

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are most likely on catalina. Feature has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is it now impossible to conver on catalina?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct.

Only way to fix this is revert to previous OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer is actualy an incorrect answer. I can opt to select my Intensity Shuttle in project setting and still use a DV converter. The capture utility of Premiere Pro will let you select different hardware on the fly. The options in the capture panel must be set correct. The video below might be helpful although the Mac Mini in the video does not have the latest version of OS X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vATw63nn3OQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

l am using macbook pro m1 and in the opening new project l dont have capture part. how can l find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by the way, l mean the if you open a project, a part is coming and that part l dont have capture part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The M1 worked last summer with Firewire and iMovie. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHWHE3ilBbU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Ä°t will help me so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But, do you know why in premiere pro we dont have capture part?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines