• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to Pro, need to cut video files to remove sections I don’t want. Easy in Elements 14, not Pro

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have used Elements 14 for drone footage editing for years, moved onto Premiere Pro and a very simple cutting of the video sections and splicing back together has eluded me... any ideas people?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Prosumer" apps are desigined to auto-do a lot of things for users. Most folks starting on those assume the pro level app will do even more auto-stuff.

But it's the other way around! Pro level apps are more manual than auto, as that allows the experienced user fine control over everything. And also the ability to set presets and such to semi-auto do what they want done.

So ... a pro level app is both more complicated and more complex, while also requiring a TON of manual editing knowledge & skill.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thankyou for the information on the difference between Pro and Basic, to be honest i had not thought that would be the case but looking ast the programme it appears that your conclusion is correct. However this does not answer my question, if you know my programme do you have an answer to the 'scissors cut' item you get in Elements 14 and not in Premier-Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What MAY help is to press F1 for help and then search for...

ripple delete

or

delete and close

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, this is not current but check the Jan 24 2019 message for a Premiere Pro PDF link... what you want should be the same as what is in the PDF at that message

https://community.adobe.com/t5/the-lounge/start-building-your-2018-cc-library-of-user-manuals-they-r...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How incredibly helpful John, i will give all three ideas a go.

Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't assume there are ANY similarities between PrPro and Pr Elements.

Elements was designed and is run by an entirely different team, who are not in any way connected to the pro digital video app (DVA) teams.

It is a producer app, meaning designed to automate most things.

Pro apos are built for totally manual operation by those who build elaborate workflows with absolute control over every little bit.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil,

There in probably lies the problem, i'm a simple forester who wants to video and present basic drone footage to clients and elements14 did the trick. Over the last year it has started to mess up the updates and options and been quite dificult to operate so i assumed adobe was pushing me to the Pro program in an effort to export more money from me. The Pro programme is not as user friendly as the Elements and i'm trying to get to grips with simple options on it and failing.. i tink it might be time to ditch my adobe pro subscription and choose a more friendly program and actually get some results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably correct in that. Elements is a rather simpler app, and works very well for building something cool from your vaction vids, stuff like that. Basic explainer vids can be done easily also.

Premiere Pro ... wll, that's a different beastie. It's got a steep initial learning curve, and past that ... the learning curve gets even steeper! It takes some time with others, good tutorials (and most aren't worth spit!) ... and hours of just working at it to get some place worth the while.

Now, when you do, you have POWER in your hands ... 😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the razor tool is the same as the scissor tool...so you make a cut where you want to start eliminating a section of film, the scrub through until you get to the end of the section you want to cut out..and make another cut with the razor too.... then you select the section you CUT with selector tool ( arrow tool ) and right click and choose top option CUT ... THEN it is gone.

It leaves a blank black space in your timeline. The RIPPLE delete tool automatically moves the clips ahead of the blank space into the blank space so you don't have to do it manually.

p.s. you have to zoom in a lot to be accurate with frames you choose to cut, and you can use the CTI with snap enabled to put the razor tool or ripple delete tool exactly on that frame...something like that...been a long tme since I used this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the Razor Tool and Ripple Delete very easy to use.  There are lots of free tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a forestor ( husband of forests and animals that live there and so on ) a razor tool is like logging where the forest is now gone. The ripple delete is like an automatic way to replant trees that were cut for lumber or were dead...and had to be cleared out so Smokey the Bear approved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how long you have had your subscription you MAY be able to cancel without a fee

And then buy the current Premiere Elements http://www.adobe.com/products/elements-family.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do not be discouraged by posts that imply you are too simple minded to use a so called pro editing program compared to a very simple automatic program for simple minded people ( kids ).

your creativity and story telling and options to progress with beautiful videos ( motion, sound, effects, titles, etc. ) is best served by trying out PPRO. At least try it a few months before you are convinced by posters here to give up.

good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No clue where Yanna comes up with the idea anyone is suggesting any such thing. And especially on public forums, it's best not to go ascribing motives when you haven't a clue.

There's no implications whatever about anyone being "simple". The discussion has been about which app would serve the OP better for what they wish to get done.

For a great deal of things Premiere Elements is entirely well suited, and is a wise choice. Not because someone is "simple", but because it will do exactly what they need quickly and without hours and months spent figuring the thing out.

Why waste the time if you don't need the complexity PrPro offers?

Doesn't have spit to do with anything else.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you Neil, completely, and stand corrected. I did not see you post anything about using the razor tool, but saw you suggested the elements program was well suited for the poster. You're right of course and I apologize for suggesting anyone is not helping new users to PPRO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We're all (mostly) trying to help. And anyone wanting to pop in is *most* welcome!

There's so many different aspects, possibilities, capabilities, and workflows within this app, that most of us realistically know only some sections and workflows.

We need each other.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines