I created a simple project with multiple HD source files (shot with my iPhone). I successfully imported those files to Premiere and cut two rough sequences, with rough titles, for review which I successfully exported through the Export command in Premiere.
I showed the sequences and returned to make changes - at which time Adobe informed me that my Premiere had an available update (to v 23.0), so I performed the update - which included some sort of necessary media conversion (which I OK'd) and a prompt to discard my old version of Premiere (which I also OK'd).
When I then went to open the Project again - my media showed up, but all of the media in the editing timeline was solid green. The thumbnails all appeared to be "normal" in my bin, but when I scrubbed them, or opened them in a Source window, they also turned green.
I tried changing / adjusting playback resolution and frame rate. I changed the Video Display Format from Timecode to Frames - Rec709... still green. I changed the Preveiw File Format to Quicktime (from I-Frame only MPEG)... still green.
I used the "Reveal in Finder" prompt and the system took me to the original files (on an external SSD Drive) and the files appeared and played fine.
All of the material was shot on the same camera at the same time. So, this is my dilemma. I may just recut in a new project, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has encountered something like this. I suspect it may be an easy (Doh) fix.
Thanks for listening. You know how it is.. and how it gets.
Copy link to clipboard
I know it's commonly said but always worth repeating in these scenarios: it's not recommended to update while you're mid-project. When you do update always clear the media cache. If you haven't already I would do the latter and let the cache rebuild with the new version.
You should be able to have two versions installed simultaneously, which means you can have a v22 and a v23. So maybe try reinstalling v22 until some more updates get made to v23 (this is usually a good practice, anyway. I pretty much never use a x.0 release.) If you have to, you can try exporting an XML from v23 if you need that to try to open the edit in a v22 version.
Also worth noting that phone footage is some of the most problematic media you can possibly use. The video codecs are some of the worst to edit with, and they also record in variable framerate, which is like poison for editing software (which likes a constant framerate). So there are all kinds of strange behaviors you get with those combinations. Obviously if it was working in one version and not another it probably comes down to that, but when someone says they're working with phone footage, usually there are issues not far behind.
Thank you Phillip - you are absolutely right and I have no explanation for why I updated mid-project - I actually DO know better! Clearing the cache will hopefully solve the problem, so that will be my first move. If that doesn't work, I'll find V22 and reinstall. Yea.. I had to go shoot some stuff on short notice in areas with limited space (a color timing suite and an online bay), so I used my phone (which seemed adequate for this purpose). I got first cuts out of the system, showed them to my class, and then thought I'd clean them up a little before posting for the students. That's when this problem arose. Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know if it worked!
Cleared cache... ultimately, uninstalled v23 and re-installed last version of 22. Now it's working well. Thanks again for the bailout !!
Under Project Setting /general/video rendering-playback change Mercury Playback Engine GPU (metal) toMercury Playback Engine software only