• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newest version leads to crashes, doesn't export and freezes my workstation.

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

I have several, heavy problems with the newest version of Premiere Pro on my new machine.

1. If Premiere Pro starts, it suddenly freezes my complete workstation about 5 minutes after I started working.
  2. Only 1 of 10 exports are going flawlessly, the others do crash the Premiere Pro instance or lead my system to freeze completely.

My current setup is as follows:

1. Editing Workstation
    AMD Ryzen 9 3990x (12 x 3.80 GHz, not overclocked)
    Aorus Elite B450 Mainboard
    32 Gigabyte of DDR4-3200 memory (XMP disabled, currently running on 2400 MHz)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super
    System and applications are stored on a 500 GB WD Black NVMe
    10 Gigabit Ethernet Link to my storage system via Samba
    Windows 10 Pro
  2. Project
    Simple 5-tracks interview with a little bit of color correction and basic essential graphics.
  3. Footage
    In the given project, simple Sony a7 III 4K XAVC-S footage.
    Besides that, I have installed BRAW plugins.

What I tried:

1. Messing around with XMP, BIOS-settings.
  2. Trying every possible "solution" I found for problems that are any similar to mine.
    (Media Caches, Settings, Preferences, Software-Only etc.)
  3. Copying files locally and edit them from there.
  4. Removing plugins like the BRAW ones.

My questions:

1. What part of my setup could lead to the described problems.
  2. Are there any real fixes or workarounds left that I couldn't find while surfing the web.
  3. Which version of Premiere Pro could I install to hope for a more stable experience.
TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Okay mates, it could be that I found a solution to this problem.

After some other community member pointing to the NVIDIA driver and cache files, I did following steps:

1. Remove all Adobe software from the PC. Clean everything with the Adobe CC Cleaner.
  2. Delete all known caches, uninstall all plugins, unmount every device (Loupedeck in my case).
  3. Delete NVIDIA GeForce Experience and your current driver.
  4. This is the important point. I had the studio driver with the version number 460.89 installed. It's t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. Footage
In the given project, simple Sony a7 III 4K XAVC-S footage.

Its not simple footage its heavily compressed. Might want to consider using proxies or convert to an easy editable format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that it's heavily compressed. But that shouldn't lead to such heavy performance and stability issues imo.

But nevermind, tried it with GoPro CineForm clips from another project. That leads to the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dude I completely feel your frustration here I am with you on this I have had such battles trying to resolve all of these issues and still nowhere, I have the Same Footage as you From A7iii. I have done all those Steps you have done,and i am trying to meet a Deadline with these Projects and all this going on, Any chance can you Render your Footage ?mine will not and if it does its estimated time is crazy Big, If you do resolve this will you please keep Me posted . this is the worse Premiere has ever been for me...

I went to work on a side Project just to see was it the Footage but same sort of crap going on.. 
16gb DDR4 Ram- Ryzen 7 3800X - Rtx 2070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate, I'll definitely keep the thread updated if I find any solution. It cost me about 2 workdays of trying dumbest solutions of the internet for now. It's a mess... I read in another thread that someone recommended 14.4 as a stable version. Maybe you could try downgrading and importing the project? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers , At this rate Im going to give it a try, Stop paying a fee for this service and getting all this hassle is just beyond me, I have a Client with a delayed Project now, I just hope it get resolved...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

14.4, did not resolve this, I have giving up today, just if a forum in reddit,  the user reckons 14.3 is working for him..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I got to work today, I also installed 14.4 and tried around a little bit. Since I only had about 10 minutes to test, I can't confirm if 14.4 is now working for me. What I also did is installing the Studio driver rather than the game ready driver for my GTX 1650 Super. Maybe that resolves the problem. I'll test around today after coming home, again - nothing left that I can do. I also can't redo the projects in Resolve this short of the deadline. Please Adobe, fix your software or give us a hint what of our setup could lead to the problems described...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the best format to use, I use handbrake and cannot edit my footage, it might be overly compressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Trick for me was to switch back to Software Encoding from Hardware Encoding. Guessing the new update messed that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean switching from "GPU-Acceleration" to "Software Only" in the "Renderer" tab of the project settings?
I tried that as well. Although, if this would work, it's just a workaround and not a fix... Acceleration should be a pretty basic thing for a software like Premiere. 😄 I'll give it another try later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I meant in your export settings. Only this way will any sequence export for me.

But now that I came to read these forums... I am having random Windows freezes too. Only while working in PP or AE. This might relate to an NVIDIA driver error. Gonna try and disable GPU Acceleration for a while to see if any of such freezes occur again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, changing to software encoding solved it. Thanks @Joery Mooijman ! Hope it will be soon fixed tough !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Changing to software encoding was a life saver - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay mates, it could be that I found a solution to this problem.

After some other community member pointing to the NVIDIA driver and cache files, I did following steps:

1. Remove all Adobe software from the PC. Clean everything with the Adobe CC Cleaner.
  2. Delete all known caches, uninstall all plugins, unmount every device (Loupedeck in my case).
  3. Delete NVIDIA GeForce Experience and your current driver.
  4. This is the important point. I had the studio driver with the version number 460.89 installed. It's the newest one, recommended by GeForce experience. I now installed the release before that particular update (Version 457.30).
  5. Reboot after installation of the driver.
  6. Install Adobe CC, Premiere Pro and Media Encoder (14.8).
  7. Reboot.
  8. You should have a operating Premiere Pro installation now. I have to mention that I didn't install Loupedeck or BRAW again, which I usally need. My current project doesn't require that, so I'll first finish it ahead of risking another deadline break.

I'm now editing about 1 hour and also rendered a part of the video I'm working on without any issues. I didn't disable any of the acceleration features or hardware en/decoding. So for now, it seems to work. If there are any problems again, I'll give you guys a follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing the biggest takeaway from this fix is the rollback to an earlier Nvidia driver. Cause eventually events such as freezing originates from hardware. Gonna try that too, thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having freezing issues with R3D files, which I've never had issue with before. Similar situations is that I too am using a second controlling device: a Shuttle Pro v2. 

Thought maybe this was a RAM thing but again I've not had this kind of issue before with similar footage. 

Gonna try what you mentioned while my posts circulate. 

Thank you! 

Did you ever reinstall your Loupedeck? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loupedeck and other devices bug was fixed in 14.8. The main issue with this version is that you should be running the NVIDIA Studio driver, not the game ready one. Can you try that? Hope the advice helps.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello mate,

I had some important projects to work on, so I just worked.
Deadlines are tight and the bug with the studio driver had cost me a few days.

I've indeed not used the Loupedeck since the last clean install, but I'll use it as soon as my current projects are finished.

I'll give an update as soon as I tried it.
As Kevin said, this bug should be fixed already and hasn't to do with the driver bug.

Btw: Since installing the 457.3 studio driver, I haven't had any problems except of one crash, which I didn't care about because I auto save every 5 minutes. ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't rely on auto save too much, best is to Save A Copy to a different drive too.

If you have a corrupt project (without you knowing) so will your all auto save be.

With save a copy you can go back further to find a good project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just versioning my project files every time I open it. Just adding _rev1.1, _rev1.2, _rev1.3...
So this shouldn't be a problem. I also trained my left hand to STRG+S every time it makes sense. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines