• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No GPU OpenCL acceleration after upgrading to 2023

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an AMD Radeon RX 580 for which I reinstalled the drivers and restarted the system.

The only PPro that allows me to use Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration is 2022, in v2023 it is greyed out (see picture).

Screenshot 2022-10-20 095229.png

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Adobe has silently changed the OpenCL version requirement for Premiere Pro 23. It now requires OpenCL 2.1 or higher support just to even use GPU acceleration at all. Unfortunately, all of the GCN GPUs including your RX 580 only support OpenCL 2.0 - too low to meet minimum requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Your RX 580 should work fine with PrPro 2023, and should support OpenCL as a Renderer option.  I've assisted another customer with an RX 580 recently, who was having a similar issue.  Running the DDU utility (display driver uninstaller, publicly available tool) and a clean install of the Pro 22.Q3 AMD driver got his system working properly, so it's possible you're encountering a driver-related issue still.  Does your "AMD Software" (either Adrenalin or Pro version) launch okay and report that yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Flavio S, please check out TechPowerUp's GPU database. AMD's latest cards, and even the RX580 (GCN 4.), support OpenCL 2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has silently changed the OpenCL version requirement for Premiere Pro 23. It now requires OpenCL 2.1 or higher support just to even use GPU acceleration at all. Unfortunately, all of the GCN GPUs including your RX 580 only support OpenCL 2.0 - too low to meet minimum requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad. I wonder why no one is talking about it. To my understanding, the latest AMD cards still use OpenCL 2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...

If Adobe were to require OpenCL 3.0, then all AMD GPUs would have been permanently locked to software-only MPE since none of them currently support OpenCL 3.0. Only Nvidia and Intel currently support OpenCL 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flavio S, please check out TechPowerUp's GPU database. AMD's latest cards, and even the RX580 (GCN 4.), support OpenCL 2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenCL version requirements have not changed for Premiere Pro 23.0. Other products may have other requirements. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem 😕

Check out my profile!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to solve it? what card do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your RX 580 should work fine with PrPro 2023, and should support OpenCL as a Renderer option.  I've assisted another customer with an RX 580 recently, who was having a similar issue.  Running the DDU utility (display driver uninstaller, publicly available tool) and a clean install of the Pro 22.Q3 AMD driver got his system working properly, so it's possible you're encountering a driver-related issue still.  Does your "AMD Software" (either Adrenalin or Pro version) launch okay and report that you're on the latest driver? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to everyone, this wasn't related to AMD or Nvidia. It was some driver issue that I couldn't resolve with Display Driver Uninstaller. I had to resinatll Windows and then it worked with my old AMD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue with my AMD GPU. With the latest premiere update, 23.1, OpenCL is available again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines