• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

no LUT missing warning when sharing projects

Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a team of editors and pass projects arround a lot. Often I do the preliminary color correction and another editor might polish it off...

...how ever if I apply a custom LUT, and another editor opens the project, Premier just simply replaces that LUT with some other LUT with no warning what so ever. They don't even know something is amiss (unless they see the color is off). Very frustrating. Any sugg

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LUTs are not stored in the project file, and how you set up your sharing process matters.

First, never ever EVER put LUTs into the program/package folder files along with the LUTs that ship with Premiere. PERIOD. I'll say why down below, after giving a suggested possible fix.

You can save LUTs as a CC Library Look file, which can go into a shared CC Library. So the Look (a LUT file by a different name only) would be seen by any other user working with that same Library available as a shared Library. I think if you did this, and passed on the project file to another editor with that same shared Library available, that Premiere would see and apply that Look/LUT file.

Caveat: I've not worked through this specific thing with LUTs/Looks, but I have with Mogrts ... and know that a Premiere project using a specific mogrt from a shared Library ... when opened on another machine with access to that Library ... does see the mogrt file and uses it.

I think the process (if it works) would be ...

• apply LUT as the only effect on a clip in Lumetri's Basic or Creative tabs;
  • in the Library panel, click the + icon in lower left, and Look should be an option, click it;
  • the name for the look that appears is the clip name, so double-click that in the Library panel and rename to the proper name for that LUT.
  • Now ... for the job, apply the Look file for the LUT to the clip/s and/or adjustment layers.

I'm asking some acquaintances with specific experience in broadcast/post-house shops what they do and recommend.

As to putting LUTs in Prmiere's program/package folder with the LUTs that come with Premiere ... that folder is accessed by Premiere via relative referencing as opposed to absolute referencing. In other words, "the fifth LUT down the list in computer alpha-numeric order". It pays no attention to names.

Further, something you put in that folder is only available to that user in that program on that machine. And neither MediaEncoder nor AfterEffects will see that LUT, even on that machine ... as all the apps have the expectation that everything in those folders is identical. And all reference those folders via relative refences.

Whereas ... they reference the following "proper" user-LUT location in absolute referencing manner, by name.

For all users ... we are supposed to use the following chart, and ... all three apps (four including Prelude) will see the LUTs as used on your machine. Note: you will need to create the Technical and Creative folders at the end of the following chart's folder-trees to put your LUTs into their proper location.

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

I've create shortcuts on my desktop to quickly access those two folders for when I add/remove LUTs. Also ... I put a prefix on the name so that my LUTs show up first in alpha-numeric order, and in the order ... and grouped ... as I want them to be.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, Neil. Didn't know that about makeing changes directly in the LUTs root folder. This is kind of dissapointing news, because, it's sort of a hassle to have to dig through all the crappy LUTs that adobe bundles in by default. I had previously taken all these files out of the root folder and kept  the ones that I use. 

Anyways, if this is how Adobe opperates, so be it. I've put things back to the way there were. I've created a "Creative" folder under Adobe>Common>LUTs and put my prefered LUT files in there. So far so good.

Two questions: first - when I go to the drop down "Looks" in Lumetri, it has all the current LUTs in alphabetical order. Does this have any effect on your "absolute order" issue that you were talking about? Meaning that my first few LUTs in the list are "creative" LUTs that I added, because the happen to be alphabetically before the first of the "default" LUTs. So the 3rd LUT down isn't the same. Is this OK?

Second - if I do this the right way, will I get a warning message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the use of the user-placed LUTs is computer alpha-numeric, so I make use of that. All MY added LUTs/Look files get prefixes to essentially organize them and bring them up before any of the included ones. I've only used an included one maybe five times in that many years, I know others that live on them of course.

So ... a number, and using either a three-digit or two-digit base, first ... then Alpha within sub-groups.

001 A No-Sat

001 B Sat Up

002 A ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil - Thanks for the fantastic explanation above. I understand from the above to stop putting LUTS in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro 2022\Lumetri\LUTs\Technical which I have been. Especially if I ever want to send a project to others (which I often do).

My question is, if I put LUTs in say C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical (which I make) - if I share the project to another Windows user and they create the same path with the same LUTS (identical in the folder), would it work? (Leaving aside the Looks workaround for now)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if they use the same folder location. Which is part of why I decided to stick with the Program-Package/Adobe/Common/Luts location. It's easy to list and suggest to others.

Although one does frequently need to remind people that after installing a LUT or preset, they will need to relaunch Premiere as sadly they STILL do not have a means of refreshing such things without closing and restarting.

Simpler is normally better ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil.

And is it still alphanumeric in that folder rather than name based? i.e. would both folders have to be identical for it to work (so that say the fifth LUT in my folder is the same as the 5th in the other users list)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the "user-created" folders, assignment is absolute, by LUT name, not by relative sort order as in the Premiere/LUTs folder.

Thankfully. And even after many discussions with engineers, the sort-order thing for "included" LUTs is the "most perfect" way possible as far as they can see. It makes no sense to me whatever, but then ... I'm clearly not functioning on an engineer's unique plane of existence ...  lol

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil - I tried this out and unfortunately, putting a LUT in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical broke another project - the LUT chosen had been changed to the previous one in the list. So changing the contents of the Common LUTs folder impacted Premiere's choice of LUTs that were chosen from the main folder - as if LUT 010 was now LUT 011.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Woa, that's wrong! Ouch ...that's the expected behavior if you're using the Premiere Pro/Lumetri/Luts/Technical or Creative folders, where the app stores the included LUTs.

And ain't supposed to happen in the Common folder!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines