• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No video playback in Premiere Pro 22.5 unless I use Software Only GPU Acceleration

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to 22.5 no video is showing whilst using 'Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)' on timeline or preview. I have to switch to 'Mercury Playback Engine Sofware Only'. Audio plays fine. I have the latest Nvidia studio driver (512.96) for my Nvidia graphics card (Geforce GTX 1080) and everything works fine (with GPU CUDA acceleration) on version 22.4 which I have had to roll back to. Anybody else getting this error? Fixes?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with this version. Half of the video project created in version 22.4 stops working in version 22.5, I had to install the old version and then attach the video files because they were out of sync. I have Windows 11, 32 RAM, GTX 1050

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please tell us your source properties and sequence settings...  And by any chance are any of your sources from a smart phone or screen recording?  If so, the problem may be the result of soucre clips with a variable frame rate which can cause intermittent and unpredictable issues.  Here's how to confirm the diagnosis and fix the issue

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate setting the quality slider in the video panel to maximum
https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

In the meantime, I suggest you revert to the previous version of premiere which was working properly.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source media is MXF file from Canon C300 Marklll. Timeline is 23.976 in 1080 using very simple grade from Lumetri panel. Reverted back to previous version and everything is working as it should. Thanks for the reply.

[cid:4af2b358-2c20-4a06-a45b-b6d129b138e0]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have the exact same problem with my PC  that has a NVidia GTX 980ti running the latest Nvidia Studio Driver.  Using Premiere 22.5 results in no video appearing in either the source or programme window when CUDA is enabled and always have to revert 'Mercury Playback Engine Sofware Only'.  - which is not a acceptable solution.

I have rolled back to  an earlier version of Premiere and it appears to work ok in terms of playback.  The 22.5 installation appears to have many bugs, when I play footage on my work Mac machine, MXF footage appears to have choppy playback and has a strobe like flickering effect where the footage (with no effects applied) seems to flicker between high and low contrast between frames.

On both the Mac & PC for the last few versions I have also lost the ability to set poster frames for any clips via any method including (right Click menu - "Set as poster frame", using the keyboard shortcut, or using the camera icon in the preview area.  This current update seems to have created more problems than it has resolved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I so feel your pain.  I LOATHE the whole, "Mercury Playback...(CUDA)" issue.  Most answers tell you to switch it to "...software only" which only makes previewing the video take that much longer.  I don't know how they FINALLY fixed it in the last version.  I have noticed that my SUPER FAST Dell Precision Workstation, no longer is able to accurately preview drone footage shot with my DJI AIR 2S.  I almost have to render the rough draft out just to see how it will look on YouTube.  Quite frustrating too.

I hope you get the answer to your issue.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is similar, except I do get playback, however, when I pause the playback monitor goes black. So I can't see to edit anything. But playback itself runs fine. Running latest drivers.  If I go back to 22.4 it works beautifully, no more black screen on pause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try in version 22.5, when launching the Premiere program, hold down the Shift + Alt keys at the same time until a pop-up window appears on Win. On Mac, a similar combination. This command will throw off all settings and incorrect operation of plugins and the work of the program itself. I'm using 22.5 and everything works. This is the most successful version since the release of version 22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

For those that are experiencing this issue, can you give me specs on the media? I have the same issue, but the clips have to have several things that do not match the sequence settings. If you are not matching sequence settings and rely on your GPU for too many processes, you can overload it and get black frames during playback. Transcoding the clips to match sequence settings more closely (or creating proxies) would likely solve the issue, as would upgrading your GPU and other hardware.

Here are the facts about my media that causes the issue on my system.

• Is your media the same frame rate as the sequence? My clip is 30.012fps, but my sequence is set to 24fps. This frame rate conversion requires action from my GPU.
  • Is the frame rate variable for your clip? Mine is. Conforming to a constant frame rate from a variable one requires action from my GPU.
  • Is the source footage in the HEVC codec? Encoding and decoding HEVC footage requires action from my GPU.
  • Is the source footage scaled up or down compared to sequence settings? Mine is; I needed to scale up the footage. Scaling this HEVC footage requires action from my GPU.
  • Does the source footage have a different codec compared to export settings? Mine does. The source is HEVC, the export is H.264. Converting codecs requires action from my GPU.
  • Other actions can further tax the CPU and GPU resources you have on hand. My sequence settings for the audio sample rate are not matching my source settings for the audio sample rate. I've adjusted that.

My advice is to conform your footage prior to editing to match sequence settings more closely or use proxies. These actions will help you avoid the black frames playback issue. That's what I had to do. 

If this is simply not possible, consider moving back to an earlier version when the software had lower system requirements. Keep in mind that each successive version of Premiere Pro may require additional hardware or hardware updates.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin-

Are you finding that these methods also mitigate the bug with exporting sequences containing MXF media?

Also, if one is editing on a Mac Pro with an AMD Radeon Pro Vega II card and 96GB of RAM, basic UHD MXF media shouldn't overwhelm the system. I've edited similar footage on less powerful iMacs with no problem, so it's hard to fathom why these newer versions of PP are so easily bugging out.

Thanks!

Debra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Debra,

Sorry for your issue. What's going on with your export and MXF? Which codec is inside the MXF container? Is it 10-bit 4:2:2 HEVC? 

Mac Pro? If you have a Mac Pro with Xeon CPUs, you might have some performance-related issues with H.264 and HEVC since these chips do not have Quick Sync like their Intel CPU counterparts. 

Note that Apple is beginning to discontinue manufacturing computers containing Xeon chips. I would proceed with caution in using these computers.

I hope the info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The media is mostly XAVC-I from a Sony FS7 but also XF-AVC MXF media from a C300.

I get "Error retrieving frame" and the errors show up on random clips. So even if I remove the offending clip, the error will show up somewhere else.

I hear what you're saying about the Xeon CPUs but I didn't have this issue with the same project on earlier versions of Premiere on the same system. This is a pricey workstation that is not easily replaced so it's really frustrating that PP can no longer run on it effectively.

I appreciate your help!

Best,
Debra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines