I was just about to render my project when Premiere Pro crashed. Now when I open up my project I see some of the clip sections in a cross-hatched pattern (see attached image) and if I look at them in the program monitor they a black.
Any ideas on what it is saying and how to fix it without recreating half my sequence?
Danger Stripes 🙂 Your file exists, but PP is unable to see the correct data. IE: you may have two files on your disk, you imported one, then you removed it from your disk and PP sees the other one, the file name is right, but the data it is expecting is off.
Is there any way to easily fix the problem or will I just have to redo that work?
I fully admit that I'm a Premiere Pro noob but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once so if I had to make a guess at what happened, here it is:
The camera is using AVCHD and when those files exceed what looks like 4GB it automatically creates a new file, increments the file number, and somehow links/stores that information.
When I imported/ingested that video using the Media Browser, it understood that there was more than one file, copied over all the related files and then put that information into a "project file" somewhere in the project folder.
Premiere Pro had that file open when it crashed and helpfully wrote incorrect information to it (or it could have been Windows but you get the drift).
That file/location isn't part of the actual Premiere Pro Project file so even going back to older versions of the project from the auto-save folder doesn't help because the original media itself has been "corrupted" (well specifically just the file that Premiere Pro uses to understand where the bits are coming from).
Any suggestions on how not to have to rebuild my project would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the suggestion - I just tried copying the media and it didn't work. I also created a new project to use the media browser to import the files again and copying those files also didn't work.
I've attached a small image to show what I'm seeing - In the original file with the danger stripes (HP432ANotZero-Part5.prproj) I replaced the Proxy files and AVCHD folder but it is still showing that the length of the clip is ~20 mins.
This is the same as the length of the first of the MTS files (there are 3 - 00019, 00020 & 00021).
In the new project (Recovery.prproj) you can see that Premiere Pro sees the 00019.MTS file as the combined 3 files on the SD Card (~43.5 mins).
So somewhere in my original project or supporting files the data has lost the information that says the media file is actually 3 files on disk.