• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions are not visible when I export my video (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear sir/madam,

I'm working on a interview and like to add captions to support the speaker with text.

I made allready "open" captions that are shown in my display. The text will also change when i modify it in premiere.

Unfortunately, when I export my video, it will not contain the captions.

I did not choose the embed option, but went for the option that burns the captions in my video.

The specs i use are: 1080x1080, H.264, Match source - High bitrate, 25fps.

The captions are also set in the same frames per seconds as my sequence is.

I hope you can help me out with this weird problem!

Kind regards,

Tim de Kler

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Thanks for the screenshot, Tim de Kler. We are aware of this issue & we have reported this issue to the concerned team.

Our Engineering team is working on a fix and it will be out soon.

Workaround: Do not queue and export from Premiere Pro. Let me know if that helps.

-Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim de Kler,

In which application or media player are you checking the playback?

Are you able to see your captions if you import your final footage (exported video) back in Premiere Pro?

Please attach a screenshot of your Export Settings (captions).

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kulpreet,

I export the video's in a qeue to media encoder. Like you asked, I made a screenshot of the export settings of the captions.

I open my video's in Quicktime. The captions should be burned into the video, but it just doesn't work.

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks,

Tim de Kler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafbeelding 2017-08-24 om 09.01.12.png

Excuses, I forget to incluud the screenshot in my last message.

Here you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the screenshot, Tim de Kler. We are aware of this issue & we have reported this issue to the concerned team.

Our Engineering team is working on a fix and it will be out soon.

Workaround: Do not queue and export from Premiere Pro. Let me know if that helps.

-Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am having the exact same issue with open captions. I cannot get them to be visible after export, even though I select Burn Captions into video. Has anyone solved this?

I am using PP 13.0.2 on an iMac Pro, 10.13.6.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are newer threads on this.

You should not have this problem if you export directly from PR.

And it should also work queuing to AME as long as the AME preferences are set to "import sequences natively"  before you queue.

Post a screenshot of your export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I recently downloaded the 2018 premiere cc for my win 7. (It said that this wasnt the newest veraion because i needed win 10 for the newer version)

I experienced the same problem when wanting to export in encoder.

Another video was exported just fine so i dont really understand where is the difference between them, programwise..?

Is my version have this bug?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug began in the 2017 version, so yes, exists in 2018 (and 2019 so far through 2019.0.2).

Keep in mind:

The bug at issue affects only burn in captions in AME. So workaround 1 is export from PR; do not queue to AME.

Workaround 2 is to set the preferences in AME to "import sequences natively."

Inconsistent results may indicate that you forgot to set the captions tab in the export dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe going to seriously tag "do not use Media Encoder to encode media" as the "correct answer"???

WOW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a post from 2017.

You can still export from PR instead of queuing to AME.

But I believe you can export through AME, as long as you set the AME preference to "import sequences natively."

Let us know if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue at my company, but "import sequences natively" does not work when exporting through AME version 12.1.1 from Premiere Pro version 12.1.2 on an iMac with Sierra version 10.12.6.

Exporting through Premiere exports the captions, however that locks up our computers for the export process. Our only work around was to export the captions as an alpha file and pull it in to Premiere, replace the caption line with the export, and send to Media Encoder.

Has this problem been figured out without silly workarounds yet? Has Adobe addressed this problem in a 2019 update? My company will not be versioning up for another month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not fixed.

I wonder if the difference in AME and PR versions is an issue?

In any event, would you test the import natively once more? If you can replicate consistently it might be useful to the engineers. Also, there was a Mac version of this that behaved differently than the PC version. I'm PC. You clearly know what you are doing, so it is a long shot. The main point I'm wondering about is that the import natively does not work if you have items in the queue when you make the change.

Open AME and ensure that in preferences the "Import sequences natively" box is checked (or change it so that it is). Make sure the AME queue is empty. Leave open or close; that doesn't matter.

In PR, use a test sequence with an Open Caption stream. Export from PR by queuing to AME, and be sure the "burn in" is selected in the caption tab.

In AME, watch the preview as it exports. The original Mac version of this (or a related) problem was that media would show offline and the preview (or whole export?) would be blank. That was reported as fixed. The PC/Mac version now appears to export okay except for no captions. If the export works, you should see the captions in the AME preview window as it exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem exists in the latest version 13.1. Although I set the preferences in AME to "import sequences natively," AME still cannot burn the open captions onto the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heying, I do not believe there is a bug listed where AME does not burn in even when set to import natively. I do not have any issue burning in as long as that is the setting. But you are not the only user reporting this. What are you main specs: OS and specific dot version of PR?

Do you get a burn in if you export directly from PR rather than queueing to AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have macOS Mojave (V10.14.4) and PR has been updated to the latest recently (V13.1.2). I do remember I selected "burn in caption" before exporting from PR and queueing to AME, but I can only get a burn in after directly exporting from PR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I found another way to burn the caption in AE, also, I can change the appearance as detailed as I want.

This guy is genius!

The scientific Swede: Importing SRT subtitles in After Effects

For your reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. This is not fixed on my system. I cannot queue subtitled timelines - every one has to be exported from Premiere separately.

My system macOS Mojave 10.14.4 and the very latest versions of Adobe software.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is late 2020 and I still have problem. Premeiere will not create burned in captions either directly from Premiere or through Adobe Encoder. What does it take to get this fixed? Sitting here spinning my wheels. Time is money Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an update, I was able to successfully export the captioned video file directly from Premiere after creating a brand new project, importing only an exported mp4 file of the finished video and the caption file, then exporting. It does not seem like it should have been a memory issue, as I quite a bit of memory and this was not a big project, just a 30 second spot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REPORTING IN FROM 12-16-20! 

Solved it, thanks to this RedditT hread: https://www.reddit.com/r/premiere/comments/7glrvz/help_open_captions_not_appearing_in_export/

"On export make sure to go to the captions tab and click "Burn into video".

That worked rendering my open captions into the video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have any after affects dynamic link compositions?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I had the exact same issue. I was trying to export it into QuickTime, but when I switched the exporting format to H.264 the captions were there! I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

too late, but hope helps others, use the link:

https://youtu.be/J0ELzLSmkXs

Good luck!

â–º Follow Me On Facebook --- http://bit.ly/2gHsRuO â–º My Stock footage portfolio --- https://dainiusvitk.myportfolio.com/nature â–º Make money selling video here --- https://bit.ly/2Pla3CO ________________________ My gear: Panasonic Lumix G85 on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3172eli Panasonic 12-60mm Lens ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines